PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tampering??? (merged: Pats File Tampering Charge Against Jets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tampering???

i personally wish they would just move on ,instead of starting another nuisance with the jets which doesnt benefit us anyway for this season.just distractions and more lawyer talk.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Chayuts connection to the Jets. There was some talk in last week about Chayut supposedly asking for a favor from the Jets by having them offer Branch a contract when they never intended to trade for him. Something along those lines, anyway.

KDPpatsfan said:
For the last time...if a team is found guilty of tampering thier pick does not go to another team. they simply lose the pick. So if the Jets were ever found guilty, the pick they lost would simply dissapear. The Pats would not get it.
Maybe I missed it, but when was it said the first time?

If it's illegal contact with Branch, just move on.

If it's something more nefarious -- such as the Jets offering a deal they weren't going to go through with to help the agent and weaken a rival -- and there's evidence supporting the claim, nail them to the wall. I don't care if we can't get the pick. It's a matter of principle.

Obvious.

I think most of our pending FAs have under the table offers from other teams. Does any one think that Graham's Agent doesn't know what Denver will pay him?

Ahriman said:
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Chayuts connection to the Jets. There was some talk in last week about Chayut supposedly asking for a favor from the Jets by having them offer Branch a contract when they never intended to trade for him. Something along those lines, anyway.
Kind of what I was thinking. Perhaps the Patriots are prepared to argue that the Jets offer was intended solely to harden Branch's holdout?

I don't seeing anything come of this, so I'll enjoy the drama if we could drag it out a couple more weeks. :)

If the Pats are going to file tampering charges on the Jets, it is probably due to the Patriots digging up some info on when Seattle was told that there was already another deal on the table for Branch.

Or, Chayut told Seattle that the price for Branch would be such and such because he already had an offer for Branch, and being the POS that he is, did it to drive up the price for Branch.

Just sounds like the Pats got some information that would prove to them that Chayut was already negotiating for Branch's services before the Pats gave them permission to negotiate.

If this tampering charge is true it would go a long way toward explaining Branch's resolve.....let us not forget Milloy was negociating until someone in the background made an offer at the last minute and suddenly he no longer wanted to talk about redoing his contract so we had to cut him....

One of the mysterys in this whole thing was why was Branch unwilling to even counter Pat's offer except to say do not franchise me and i will report to work....which does not make sense unless Branch believed he had a golden parachute to land with...

Maybe part of Pat's reasons for allowing trade talk was to flush out the PERP.

Pats File Tampering Charge Against Jets

I wonder what this is about... my guess would be the Jets spoke to Deion after the September 1 deadline they gave...

Let's not forget that the Raiders tried to hire Mangini and got Ryan from the Pats instead and then blatantly tampered with Ted Washington. Washington had a deal in place at the moment free agency began, and I believe was on a jet within minutes if I remember the whole story.

Tampering cannot be proven, and happens all the time. The Pats have been major victims of tampering and have seen no justice from the NFL of any kind.

Re: Pats File Tampering Charge Against Jets

I apologize for repeating another thread already in here. I looked to see if this info was already being discussed in this forum but didn't see that thread.

RAWKY said:
If this tampering charge is true it would go a long way toward explaining Branch's resolve.....let us not forget Milloy was negociating until someone in the background made an offer at the last minute and suddenly he no longer wanted to talk about redoing his contract so we had to cut him....

One of the mysterys in this whole thing was why was Branch unwilling to even counter Pat's offer except to say do not franchise me and i will report to work....which does not make sense unless Branch believed he had a golden parachute to land with...
No team is going to make an offer before the season under the table for a player that will still be a guaranteed offer remaining after the season ends. The Jets must have had some contact outside the designated time period, but I can't really establish any real motive for doing such.

RAWKY said:

Maybe part of Pat's reasons for allowing trade talk was to flush out the PERP.

This is as good a theory as I have heard and would explain a number of the head-scratchers in this thing. If they are pressing a tampering charge I would hope they have some proof because it would send a warning to all of the teams that whisper into agents' ears all the time. But this is a very hard thing to prove.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Let's not forget that the Raiders tried to hire Mangini and got Ryan from the Pats instead and then blatantly tampered with Ted Washington. Washington had a deal in place at the moment free agency began, and I believe was on a jet within minutes if I remember the whole story.

Tampering cannot be proven, and happens all the time. The Pats have been major victims of tampering and have seen no justice from the NFL of any kind.

Excellent history refresher!
And as others have said, tampering is something a team can be well aware as happening to them and yet be unable to 'prove' it to the league's satisfaction. When the Pats offered the trade scenario to 'He Who Is Now Dead To Me' I speculated in this Forum that the Pats already KNEW some other team(s) were tampering but could not prove it. Deion already had a big $ offer and the pats were simply trying to get SOMETHING for the dead one rather than leting him walk away.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:

Ted Wasington's plane supposedly left Boston for SF before midnght when FA began.

Lawyer Milloy said he had a deal in place with the Redskins before being cut. Later, when questioned about it, he said he was mistaken.

KDPpatsfan said:
For the last time...if a team is found guilty of tampering thier pick does not go to another team. they simply lose the pick. So if the Jets were ever found guilty, the pick they lost would simply dissapear. The Pats would not get it.
I think the misunderstanding people have for this goes all the way back to the Parcells/Jets incident of '97. We got draft picks for releasing Parcells from his contract, not for any tampering (which the Jets were definitely guilty of).

PATSNUTme said:
Who knows what evil lies in the heart of Mangini?

I would assume that this took place before the "permission" was given. Has to be, if true.

And the Patriots probably found out about it before they gave permission, because that's the ONLY explanation for that dumb move. They wanted the rat to take a bit of the poison cheese, and the only way to do that is to offer the cheese in the first place.

Felger just said the tampering was the Jets telling Branch they ere offering a 2nd rd pick for him, which was outside the parameters of the permissions granted to Branch by the Pats. He was only allowed to talk contract. (Sounds real thin to me).

They feel this poisoned any further chance the Pats had to come to an agreement.

I don't think it ever gets heard.

This probably has more to do with putting the squeeze on Chayut then anything with the Jets. Who knows because of the tight ship tight lips of the Patriots organization, but if they were angered by any under the table actions from this agent, then my guess is the FO is not of the forgiving nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes