PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Takeo Spikes may get cut. Is he worth a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you be against Takeo Spikes if he's healthy? The guy's a beast. If he's fully (or even "practically") back, even with his age I'd sign him up. Spikes is still a VERY good LB.

When healthy he's a Pro Bowl player. The problem is he hasn't been able to stay healthy the past two seasons. But certainly would be happy to get him.

I do love that the market is linebacker rich this year. Going by this week's actions, we can consider our cap to be (very roughly) $18M more, since we just spent $7.79M on Asante. Obviously if a deal gets worked out, and we need to absorb big bonus money this year, the $18M decreases.

So, with that chunk of change, isn't it nice to have a good smattering of middle-class and "washout" guys to choose from, but still decent players? Plus, if we really want to go for the gold, there is a marquis name or two in the mix...

Gee, you don't think Bill Belichick would be happy with a shopping cart in this store? It reminds me of the kid in the "my music" supermarket, only instead of the hot chicks spraying down the lettuce, he'd be in the "linebacker" aisle just throwing different guys in the cart. No music, no nothin, just a big twisted mad scientist grin...

Right, okay, no reason to believe we'll spend all $18M (or even everything after signing picks and saving for a rainy day) on backers... but I think we get 2 LBs this way. Is it 3/2 yet????

PFnV

If a long term deal is worked out we will have MORE money. You do not 'absorb the bonus this year'it is spread. Example. Let say Samule signed a 6 yr 35 mill contract with a sb of 12mill. 2 mill of the sb would count this year. There is 23 mill of salary to spread across the 6 years. Since he gets a check for 12mill when he signs, the first year salary is always the lowest. That 23 mill would probably go something like 1mill,2.5,4,4.5,5,6 or something like that.
We would save 4.79 on the cap vs the tag in that case. I think its safe to say any long term deal with Samuel will save a minimum of 3mill, and most likely more than 4 against the cap hit for the franchise tag.

Hold on people the 18 million includes the rookie salarys.This will be around 6-7 million as we have 2 No 1 picks so in effect we have only 11-12 million left.

Hold on people the 18 million includes the rookie salarys.This will be around 6-7 million as we have 2 No 1 picks so in effect we have only 11-12 million left.

It's all a crapshoot anyways since you can amortize any new contract, redo Dillon and colvin, etc.

Heck the Colts have barely anything left and you know they'll get their guys signed. It really doesn't mean much at this point, since the front office has a good idea what the future cap hits will be.

If a long term deal is worked out we will have MORE money. You do not 'absorb the bonus this year'it is spread. Example. Let say Samule signed a 6 yr 35 mill contract with a sb of 12mill. 2 mill of the sb would count this year. There is 23 mill of salary to spread across the 6 years. Since he gets a check for 12mill when he signs, the first year salary is always the lowest. That 23 mill would probably go something like 1mill,2.5,4,4.5,5,6 or something like that.
We would save 4.79 on the cap vs the tag in that case. I think its safe to say any long term deal with Samuel will save a minimum of 3mill, and most likely more than 4 against the cap hit for the franchise tag.

Thanks, Andy -- that's why I bolded the this year part. I know you pro-rate them, unless you intend to absorb the bonus money on purpose (which I think has happened in cases we talked about here as early as the second year of a deal -- I think I remember something to do with converting the signing [prorated] bonus into a roster [not prorated] bonus?)

Still, my fault, rookie mistake ("dude I knew that!") Even if they wanted his up-front money to be spent up-front (seems unlikely,) it's not something anyone cares about but the team, and it's at the team's discretion which way to do the accounting. Asante (or any player) does not mind whether you prorate the money or not, as long as the check is in his wallet.

PFnV

Let's take a look at all FA LBers....See what is the possible value on lbers..I kind like the Jarret Johnson...I am sure BB & SP will have the sitution under control....

The question comes down to where would Spikes be a better fit - inside or outside. The whole issue regarding Banta-Cain was his inability to set the edge in running downs and getting to the QB on passing downs. He was average at his pass rush but below average in his ability to stop the run. Would Spikes be a better fit in TBC's spot? You're damn right he would be.

Can you see it now, we could raid the Bills' defense of Spikes, Fletcher and Clements and send cheapo Wilson into a real fit.

The question comes down to where would Spikes be a better fit - inside or outside. The whole issue regarding Banta-Cain was his inability to set the edge in running downs and getting to the QB on passing downs. He was average at his pass rush but below average in his ability to stop the run. Would Spikes be a better fit in TBC's spot? You're damn right he would be.

Can you see it now, we could raid the Bills' defense of Spikes, Fletcher and Clements and send cheapo Wilson into a real fit.
I guess I missed the obvious difference between Spikes and TBC this year. Since when has Takeo Spikes been a fearsome edge rusher? And wasn't it TBC that backed Tarik Glenn into Manning on the play Manning busted his thumb?

My money is on TBC being the better OLB going forward.

I guess I missed the obvious difference between Spikes and TBC this year. Since when has Takeo Spikes been a fearsome edge rusher? And wasn't it TBC that backed Tarik Glenn into Manning on the play Manning busted his thumb?

My money is on TBC being the better OLB going forward.

One oversight in my post is that TBC being a starter on defense is all predicated on Vrabel staying inside and I don't see that happening. When the Pats address their ILB needs, then Vrabel should be back on the edge and then TBC would see situational duty only.

One oversight in my post is that TBC being a starter on defense is all predicated on Vrabel staying inside and I don't see that happening. When the Pats address their ILB needs, then Vrabel should be back on the edge and then TBC would see situational duty only.
Yeah, that's what I see too. I like our OLBs, the issue since 2004 has been inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News