PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suspensions will be announced by Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray Anderson is the guy who was outside the Jets locker room after the Jets OT victory over Matt Cassell and the Patriots back in 2008. He was congratulating the Jets coaches and management and was quoted by a Boston newspaper as saying "I told you you'd win this one." Gooddell brought him in after leaving the Jets.

Come on, Deus. The violent hits are bad for the game.

Don't worry, there will still be plenty of broken bones and wrecked knees to keep fans drooling. :rolleyes:

1.) Violent hits are so bad for the game that ESPN used to have a segment called "Jacked up", NFL films had a tape out called Big Blocks and King Size Hits, and players want nicknames like "hammer", "hit stick" and the like.

2.) I'm not into the broken bones aspect, and I never wish injury on any player. However, the game is a game of violence, and you cannot legislate away injuries without legislating away that violence.

3.) Will the league also help with these head injuries by banning diving catch attempts by receivers?

4.) This isn't about just one rule being changed in mid-season. The notion of having the linemen standing up rather than down in stances has also been floated, in the interest of safety. I mentioned the QB rules, and we've seen rule after rule implemented for 'safety' reasons. Have injuries been eliminated? Have they been drastically reduced without sacrificing parts of the game in return?

Last edited:
Talk about brilliant points, the rule change/emphasis following 2004 had absolutely nothing to do with player safety and was never suggested as such. So your strawman argument is completely meaningless.

Hey, if you want to wait for another Darryl Stingley before implementing punishment for cheap shots, that's your right. But I prefer to prevent such an injury from occurring in the first place.

Nice correlation. Not thinking suspensions for first offenses is the way to go is EXACTLY the same as not wanting to protect players from Stingley injuries. Your keen analysis cuts to the core of things, yet again.

Also, I'm sure that the changing of the season from 16 to 18 games is being done to cut down on the number of injuries, too, right? :bricks:

Last edited:
Tedy is on WEEI now and when they put the audio up on replay you all should listen to what he had to say about Meriweather's hit and suspending players for it...

Brilliant point on your part. Injuries never happen when form tackles are made straight up on players, and I'm the only one to put forth such radical notions as "the NFL might be coddling the QBs, and the offenses, too much". :rolleyes:

By the way, which injury/concussion was being avoided when they modified the way illegal contact was being called after the 2004 season?

Excellent comeback.

All the rule changes, points of emphasis, fines, penalty flags, and now suspensions, over the last half-decade have always been more about scoring points and protecting & promoting the glamour positions to the Pink Hats & Madison Avenue shuysters, then they have ever been about playing fair & protecting all of the players, both on offense and on defense.

Damn the human scum of Badell, NaPolian, the entire NonCompetition Committee, and the Mannings all to Hell.

Edit: add Ray Anderson to the list. Nice catch, Upstater.
Once again, Bad-dell & his j-e-s-t cronies, and their closet fans in this thread, have been exposed.

Last edited:
Nice correlation. Not thinking suspensions for first offenses is the way to go is EXACTLY the same as not wanting to protect players from Stingley injuries. Your keen analysis cuts to the core of things, yet again.

Also, I'm sure that the changing of the season from 16 to 18 games is being done to cut down on the number of injuries, too, right? :bricks:
No, that's being done to make money. I thought that was pretty obvious, but I guess some people need things spelled out for them in excruciating detail.

I don't know if we will see any suspensions tomorrow but I have no problem with the league reducing these hits which have an intent to injure. You admit you want to wait until the next Darryl Stingley to make any changes, but I am glad they are making the changes now.

Last edited:
1.) Violent hits are so bad for the game that ESPN used to have a segment called "Jacked up", NFL films had a tape out called Big Blocks and King Size Hits, and players want nicknames like "hammer", "hit stick" and the like.

Exactly. If this was way back in, what, 2008; Meriweather and Harrison would have been featured on the Jacked Up segment on Monday Night Countdown. Tom Jackson would have been leading the chant; "Todd Heap, you got. JACKED! UP!" They would have all had a chuckle, then sent it out to Stuart Scott for some last minute analysis.

Now we need to hear about fines and suspensions and the like. I agree about player safety, but hits like this are going to happen. It's not like Flacco threw the ball and Meriweather thought "Ok, time to try and hit this guy with the top of my helmet on his chin".

No, that's being done to make money. I thought that was pretty obvious, but I guess some people need things spelled out for them in excruciating detail.

Yes, clearly you are one of those people.

I don't know if we will see any suspensions tomorrow but I have no problem with the league reducing these hits which have an intent to injure. You admit you want to wait until the next Darryl Stingley to make any changes, but I am glad they are making the changes now.

And now you're just flat out lying. You're a waste to time to debate on this.

P.S. No suspension for Meriweather.

Exactly. If this was way back in, what, 2008; Meriweather and Harrison would have been featured on the Jacked Up segment on Monday Night Countdown. Tom Jackson would have been leading the chant; "Todd Heap, you got. JACKED! UP!" They would have all had a chuckle, then sent it out to Stuart Scott for some last minute analysis.

Now we need to hear about fines and suspensions and the like. I agree about player safety, but hits like this are going to happen. It's not like Flacco threw the ball and Meriweather thought "Ok, time to try and hit this guy with the top of my helmet on his chin".

ESPN just announced a new segment: "Hugged". Sponsored by Vermont Teddy Bears.

I'm glad the Jacked Up stuff was brought up, because YES, EXACTLY.

Also, even when watching games this year, I notice that anytime there is a huge hit, they can't wait to replay it over and over during the broadcast. Making sure to point out how bone-crushingly loud it is. The announcers love that stuff.

All you people talking about the old "Jacked Up!" segment are overlooking the key fact that they dropped that segment for the very reason that they didn't want to be promoting or encouraging more and more dirty hits.

I'm glad the League is doing this. Quite honestly, I think it's overdue.

Last edited:
Yes, clearly you are one of those people.
Oh. My. You actually have responded with a comment that is nothing more than a re-worded version of "I know youare but what am I?"

Wow. Just wow.
And now you're just flat out lying. You're a waste to time to debate on this.
Yeah I don't blame you for backing out considering how silly you look. You admit you have no problem waiting for another Darryl Stingley type of tragedy, but I think the rest of fandom disagrees.

scarjo_popcorn.gif

Oh. My. You actually have responded with a comment that is nothing more than a re-worded version of "I know youare but what am I?"

Wow. Just wow.
Yeah I don't blame you for backing out considering how silly you look. You admit you have no problem waiting for another Darryl Stingley type of tragedy, but I think the rest of fandom disagrees.

I "admitted" no such thing. You're just blatantly lying at this point.

While I think that suspensions are needed, I also agree with most here that it would be wrong of the league to impose them retroactively.

But why is it we are always hearing about protecting offensive players, but not defensive ones? For if there was a true concern about safety, cut blocks would be illegal long ago and chop blocks would draw the same suspension.

Part of me will believe that this is a BS move to try to create more points until the league starts taking defensive players' safety as seriously.

I guess that between the Vikings thing and this, the defensive players feel the same way I do. Its a BS rule looking to change the game and tilt it in favor of the offense.

Defenders want NFL's rules to protect them, too - ESPN

I guess that between the Vikings thing and this, the defensive players feel the same way I do. Its a BS rule looking to change the game and tilt it in favor of the offense.

Defenders want NFL's rules to protect them, too - ESPN

My feelings exactly. The Badell/NaPolian axis of evil is far more concerned with protecting the prima donna QBs & WRs than they are with protecting defensive players; even at the expense of protecting defensive players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye