PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stork at guard Wendell at center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before everybody loses their minds, I'm not talking permanently. It just might be the best temporary lineup if Connolly's out and it would allow Stork to work in with less responsibility, young guards to practice without pressure.

Here's the article that sparked this thought.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...-and-versatility-of-bryan-stork-ryan-wendell/
Good thought. I think Wendell is much more highly thought of by BB than he is on this board.
“Ryan’€™s a really smart player. He’€™s one of the smartest players that we have, that we’€™ve had. He really understands everything that we’€™re doing, including all the communication with the quarterback and so forth.”

Good thought. I think Wendell is much more highly thought of by BB than he is on this board.

And he's also very limited. IMO, he isn't being kept as a backup, but as a seat warmer. Who wants Wendell getting pushed around at guard? I could see him between Cannon and Stork, running the show and using their strength to compensate. Besides size, he's the best center they have right now, as far as i know (Connolly?)

If Connolly is out it wouldn't surprise me. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Devey starts

I was wondering about this myself, is it easy enough to just throw a center at guard? I would think it would be pretty much the same minus having to snap the ball. Maybe I'm just being naive though.

I was wondering about this myself, is it easy enough to just throw a center at guard? I would think it would be pretty much the same minus having to snap the ball. Maybe I'm just being naive though.

Well it's not like Stork has no experience at Guard He played some LG and RG in college before he became the starting Center his Junior year.

Wendell is an excellent run blocker but he is poor in pass protection. He is probably the most explosive Patriots OL out of his stance in the running game.

Well it's not like Stork has no experience at Guard He played some LG and RG in college before he became the starting Center his Junior year.
Stork actually has a great skills set for an OG.

If Wendell is so much more highly thought of, then why was he running almost exclusively with the 2s and 3s during TC?

What is the point? If Stork is strong enough to start, he should play center. Wendell can call
If Wendell is so much more highly thought of, then why was he running almost exclusively with the 2s and 3s during TC?

I agree that if Stork is strong enough to start, he should play center.

Most on this board wanted Wendell not to make the 53.

Belichick signed Wendell to a new contract, and seems to consider him a valuable backup.

So, yes, Belichick thinks more of Wendell than many (probably most) posters.

Wendell used to play left guard for the pats in 2010 when mankins was injured for a few games... I think.

At great risk of over-simplifying things and of course being greatly mistaken..

...but it was my understanding was that one of Connolley's greatest strengths (other than kick returns) is the play calling he takes care of on the line.

Is there any reason he couldn't do this at Guard instead of Center?

He wasn't, him and Connolly split first team reps throughout training camp.

If Connolly is out it wouldn't surprise me. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Devey starts
I think Devey is going to start at RG either way. Belichick may have pulled him against the Raiders late but since the first preseason game he has shown a commitment to Devey starting at OG.

You know what I do not understand is why everyone is so dead set on Stork starting but nobody advocates to start Fleming. Fleming started 39
games at Stanford in a pro style offense, he had a 2nd round grade entering the draft and has played well in his opportunities this season. I think Fleming has done significantly more to earn a chance to start than Stork, and I think he is significantly more talented than Stork.

Stork actually has a great skills set for an OG.

Apparently the year he played LG he led Florida ST with 27 knockdown blocks. Not sure if all came from the LG position though.

Apparently the year he played LG he led Florida ST with 27 knockdown blocks. Not sure if all came from the LG position though.
It is also worth noting Weston Richburg who was the top OC in the draft this year is starting at LG for the Giants.

I don't care how smart Wendell is, he cant handle NFL DTs. He is only a good run blocker when he gets to double team somebody with his double team partner connolly. Them 2 should count as one OLineman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe