PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still want Jerry Hughs or Brandon Graham over Jermaine Cunningham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved every BB draft pick in the draft, thought it was brilliant all around, which is why Cunningham was my binky from draft day onward.

Cunningham brought some heat tonight without getting a sack. He's added some real pressure off that right side.

Seems like the M.O. here is that its okay to be enthusiastic about a player after a few good games (regardless of where they're from) but its not okay to make harsh judgements early on.
I think thats a reasonable positive outlook, even if it is somewhat hypocritical.

There's a good reason for that. New players can improve substantially early in their career -- see Chung, Patrick this year -- so it's dangerous to dismiss a player early.

However, the opposite is almost never true: players rarely regress except due to injury or age. Those of you who are reserving judgment about McCourty and Cunningham (for instance) are being ridiculously conservative. These players are *far* more likely to progress than to regress. They are already playing well, and are flashing promise of greatness. The potential for greatness is speculative, but it is real. The potential for regression is minimal. At the very least, we already know these are two good football players.

Of course it's possible to hype any player, no matter how good. And speculation about progression is particularly dangerous -- see Butler, Dariius.

But you can take to the bank that the crop of players from these last two drafts will provide a solid basis for this team for the next three to five years. They're already demonstrating that much competence.

Last edited:
Rather than comparing to the players in the title, can we at least say...

- In the rampant pre-draft OLB speculation, the debate was Graham vs. Hughes vs. Kindle vs. Morgan vs. Sapp vs. Dunlap vs. etc. etc. etc., with essentially no mention of Cunningham.
- When Cunningham's name was called, the reaction was mostly "huh?"
- He is off an impressive start despite missing most of camp, and improving every game.
- He's looking equally good against pass and run, which is extremely hard to find.
- Yay!

Fair enough?

Rather than comparing to the players in the title, can we at least say...

- In the rampant pre-draft OLB speculation, the debate was Graham vs. Hughes vs. Kindle vs. Morgan vs. Sapp vs. Dunlap vs. etc. etc. etc., with essentially no mention of Cunningham.
- When Cunningham's name was called, the reaction was mostly "huh?"
- He is off an impressive start despite missing most of camp, and improving every game.
- He's looking equally good against pass and run, which is extremely hard to find.
- Yay!

Fair enough?

:agree::agree:

Cunningham threw a crunching block on McCourt's INT ... knocked the side judge over also. That kind of play is what he is all about ... the kid can ball.

jjmyx5jpg.gif

Ha! That's awesome. Well played sir.

Anyway Cunningham looked good again today. Just another 200 or so games like this and maybe we can all agree that he's "not bad". :eat2:

Can we give Floyd Reese some props? He helped build the Titans into a perennial SB Contender. I'm glad he was able to come here and perhaps he can have an even better support system and better results...

Why not give Caserio props? It's his operation. Reese is here to negotiate contracts and other things of that nature. I have never once heard of him being a key decision maker in terms of personnel.

I still remember Breer saying Hughes could be a 12 sack player as a rookie. Wasn't huge on McCourty pick but am now. Just confident with him.

Can we give Floyd Reese some props? He helped build the Titans into a perennial SB Contender. I'm glad he was able to come here and perhaps he can have an even better support system and better results...

You can continue to delude yourself if you wish -- but in NE, the grocery shopping is strictly BB's domain. So point the finger or give due credit where due.

This really is such a dumb thing to do.

The reason Cunningham is on the field for us is due to the lack of depth/talent/veteran presence at OLB.

Hughes is behind Freeney and Mathis -- two of the best pass rushing DE's in the league. I didn't even like Hughes in the draft but it's still moronic to say.

Graham has one more sack than Cunningham so far, so he must be the better draft pick.

McCourty was beaten in coverage on that play. Somehow with Harvin on his back McCourty swatted the ball and it popped up right to him. He's had some good moments, but he's also gotten chewed at times. Let's not make him the next Ty Law just yet. Still prefer Patrick Robinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST