Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Can they still win the SB?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats D gives up way too many 3rd and 20s to be Super Bowl contenders. Heck didn't they give up a 3rd and 30 this year. Don't think I've ever seen that happen in my lifetime.

No chance at the SB, but it sure has been fun to watch Brady grind out these amazing comebacks.

This defense just isn't good enough. I don't care what Brady does, the defense is not playoff caliber.

I'm a big Pats fan but realistically once they lost all those players on D (and O for that matter) they have a very, very slim chance of making it far in the playoffs...even if they get a first round bye.

They shouldn't have to struggle against teams like the Browns and Texans. Eventually, they'll go up against a team that will run on their just awful run defense and their now severely depleted offense won't be able to cover for.

Earlier in the year, the D was able cover for an Gronk (and Hernandez)-less offense with rookie WR's dropping balls left and right. But now that both sides of the ball have suffered major injuries, I don't see them stopping Denver on the road or something like that. I know it's the NFL and any given Sunday and all that but yeah Super Bowl bound, this team is not.

You guys friends with similar schedules? :rolleyes:

I will never write them off as I cannot think of a team that has not taken hits since day 1. When Gronk went down, it was depressing as I realized of the 4 people the Pats could ill-afford to lose at the beginning of the season, all but 1 (Brady) were on IR or headed there.

With that said, the Pats offense stalled with Gronk on the field as well. His absence early in the season was compounded by the absences of Vereen and Amendola, thus making it difficult to ascertain how the offense could really do without him. You can't replace Gronk, but the offensive resurgence was in part attributable to the return of those two as well. With Thompkins and Dobson inactive yesterday, the options were pretty sparse in terms of the passing game so Gronk could only do so much, yet the team went ballistic against a very good defense when Gronk went out.

Next man up. Hopefully the defensive pieces continue to develop in the final three games. Right now, it still looks like a learning experience in pass defense and run defense can show up at time and disappear at others. Much like it seems every game is a comeback, I am interested in seeing if the team can do it at a season level with all the damage it has taken.

We're far from favourites but we can still easily get the number 2 seed which means you just cant rule us out.

What I want to see most is Amendola being a major factor in games again (like week 1). whether fighting an injury or something else, he has played a minor role lately but is being paid and expected to a lot more.

You don't win because of the history, you win because the reasons for the history are still in place. They are.
BTW, saying agree to disagree then making an argument is not good form.

If you think this team is peaking like all those past december teams were then I dont agree with it. This team is getting decimated game by game with injuries and dotting double digit leads and coming and winning them.
Not like those past december teams in most cases. Past december teams didnt have all these players out this late in the season with lack of continuity. We were 60s away from losing a home game to the browns.
This team will win or lose it because of its own existence and entity. Nothing because of any historical greatness especially with very few leftovers on the active roster from those teams.
Sorry about the "agree to disagree comment" I just didnt want get into continue into a heated argument for this. Just each his own opinion thats all.

If you think this team is peaking like all those past december teams were then I dont agree with it. This team is getting decimated game by game with injuries and dotting double digit leads and coming and winning them.
Not like those past december teams in most cases. Past december teams didnt have all these players out this late in the season with lack of continuity. We were 60s away from losing a home game to the browns.
This team will win or lose it because of its own existence and entity. Nothing because of any historical greatness especially with very few leftovers on the active roster from those teams.
Sorry about the "agree to disagree comment" I just didnt want get into continue into a heated argument for this. Just each his own opinion thats all.

If the defense hadn't lost Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly and if Talib was the same player he was at the start of the year I would have a vastly different opinion on losing Gronk. But they just gave up 494 yards to the Browns of which Campbell threw for 391 and a 116 rating. It would be one thing if it was one of the top QBs or even next tier like Flacco but come on. The only hope is that Talib's hip rebounds and he returns to form.

Again it is what it is so we might as well talk about solutions instead of spilt milk.

If the defense hadn't lost Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly and if Talib was the same player he was at the start of the year I would have a vastly different opinion on losing Gronk. But they just gave up 494 yards to the Browns of which Campbell threw for 391 and a 116 rating. It would be one thing if it was one of the top QBs or even next tier like Flacco but come on. The only hope is that Talib's hip rebounds and he returns to form.

Again it is what it is so we might as well talk about solutions instead of spilt milk.

My feelings exactly. Can we be the same offense the ravens were last yr. Definitely. Can we be the same defense with veteran experience.? That is the big issue right now with our team right now.

They most likely need to win in a shootout so JM/BB are going to have to come up with something masterful, the O-Line is going to have to be more than what it's been and I think if they do Brady will execute.

I dunno, I think Campbell's a pretty good quarterback. Not elite, but more than capable. He's been better than Flacco this year.

Meh...Gronk was flat out dominating. Carrying defenders on his back.

Don't have a lot of faith left with this OL playing the way it is,the receivers being what they are AND the defense falling apart.

I think you are missing the larger point, which is the way the organization is run that produces those results. Its not luck, its design.
Many of those 10 teams had issues as well. The fact that they gutted out a tough win yesterday is more to the point than against it.

This is the best wide receiver corps the patriots have ever had for brady.

The depth of Amendola-dobson-edelman-thompkins-boyce-and now vereen, is something that can't be game planned for.

This is a better talent version of the 2006 patriot reciver corp.

This team is as flawed as they come, how they win is miraculous, but they're not going to be able to beat stiff competition come playoffs. Just too many injuries and not enough talent to replace them.

it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Patriots lose the remaining 3 games and lose the 2 seed all together.

Agreed. No chance this Patriots team could ever beat a team like the Broncos.

Any team in the dance has a chance at a Super Bowl. One thing that this team has had on it's side with regard to on the field play (not injuries), is Lady Luck. Instance after instance with it this season. The receivers are getting better. If we can fix the run defense so we can defend it without having to scheme against it, the defense should be fine in the playoffs. The big issue, which I don't see getting resolved this season, is the O-Line.

Agreed. No chance this Patriots team could ever beat a team like the Broncos.

On the road in Denver (where the Pats haven't had much success) with the D we have now and no Gronk? No.

On the road in Denver (where the Pats haven't had much success) with the D we have now and no Gronk? No.

Why is everyone assuming the pats won't get the 1 seed? Denver could lose to a good team like San Diego this Thursday and we could run the table.

After handing them 17 of the easiest points ever scored on our 1st 3 possessions, we dominated them. Totally dominated them. We are clearly a better team head up. Who is home is not going to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST