PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve McIntyre blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong, but from the little I have read, I don't think he denies climate change. He has criticized the models, specifically the hockey graph, as exaggerating the rate at which climate change is occurring. And he's done it on technical/statistical point of view rather than a conceptual view. Of course that made him very unpopular with people who are trying to raise awareness of climate change, many of the same people who used to cite his work on the subject.

I don't think he is a denier, but as you said, he did rip apart the Mann, Bradley, and Hughes hockey stick climate graph which was a huge part of Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" and his presentation at the time. That why I joked about Al Gore.

Ok, enough Climate Change talk.

He was critical of Brady's expert's testimony at the appeal. Snyder missed the graph error, and a few more that McIntyre thought were stronger points. They also did some fudging of some other things.

If this ever gets back to arbitration Brady should call him. Apparently he reached out to Brady's team before the appeal, not sure if Brady's team ever got back to him.

I don't think he is a denier, but as you said, he did rip apart the Mann, Bradley, and Hughes hockey stick climate graph which was a huge part of Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" and his presentation at the time. That why I joked about Al Gore.

Ok, enough Climate Change talk.

There are no deniers, the climate has been changing for billions of years. The discussion is whether CO2 has a positive feedback effect or not.

I could be wrong, but from the little I have read, I don't think he denies climate change. He has criticized the models, specifically the hockey graph, as exaggerating the rate at which climate change is occurring. And he's done it on technical/statistical point of view rather than a conceptual view. Of course that made him very unpopular with people who are trying to raise awareness of climate change, many of the same people who used to cite his work on the subject.

You are correct. He looks at the data dispassionately. Lets the chips fall where they may.
That is how science used to be done before ideology & money driven agenda science took over, q.v. Exponent.

There are no deniers, the climate has been changing for billions of years. The discussion is whether CO2 has a positive feedback effect or not.

Almost, not quite. The real dispute is over models assuming multipliers in positive feedback without direct basis in actual proven physical laws.

Almost, not quite. The real dispute is over models assuming multipliers in positive feedback without direct basis in actual proven physical laws.

Correct, my point is that many are of the opinion that climate change is a result of natural processes and the human activity specifically use of carbon based fuels that emit CO2 have very marginal effect on the climate.

The "money" conclusions section:

Exponent made a basic error which has missed by all commentators to date (including my own prior
commentary) and which, when corrected, resolves the entire affair, fully explaining the
“unexplained” deflation, while demonstrating that there was no “tampering” with the footballs
after measurement by the referees.

The newly identified error pertains to Exponent’s simulations of Patriot ball preparation,
an issue identified by Bill Belichick in his first press conference, but dismissed by Exponent and
the Wells Report. In Exponent’s simulations, they set football pressure to 12.5 psi before
gloving, whereas the Wells Report reported that Patriot equipment manager Jastremski set
pressure to 12.6 psi after gloving.
In Exponent’s simulations, gloving during ball preparation
increased temperatures and pressures by about 0.7 psi, but the effect wore off in 15-20 minutes.
However, Jastremski’s actual technique necessarily resulted in Patriot balls being slightly underinflated
by about 0.35 psi (approximately 12.1-12.2 psi) when they returned to room temperature. This amount fully accounts for the “unexplained” additional deflation of Patriot balls.

This under-inflation, while slight, was still enough that it should have been observed by
referee Anderson in his pre-game measurement. However, Referee Anderson had two gauges,
one of which (the Logo Gauge) read 0.38 psi too high. By coincidence, the amount of underinflation
under Jastremski’s protocol closely matched the bias in Anderson’s Logo Gauge.

Ten of 12 Patriot balls were measured by Anderson between 12.5 and 12.6 psi, with two under-
inflated. This is only possible if Anderson used the Logo Gauge to measure Patriot balls,
resolving a battleground issue contrary to the findings of Exponent, Wells and Goodell. This is
consistent with Anderson’s recollection of having used the Logo Gauge, a recollection rejection
by Exponent and Wells.

On the other hand, Exponent’s reasoning in respect to Colt balls, the pressures of which
were set at room temperature without rubbing, remains valid: Anderson used the Non-Logo
Gauge to measure Colt balls. The corollary is that Anderson (inattentively) switched gauges
between measuring Patriot and Colt balls. An excellent precedent for this possibility is the
identical inattentive switch of gauges by NFL officials at half-time, even under heightened
scrutiny.

One of the conclusions of the present analysis is that there is a coincidence between the
amount of under-inflation below 12.5 psi arising from Jastremski’s ball preparation and the bias
of Anderson’s Logo Gauge, but it is a coincidence that can be documented. At the Appeal
Hearing, Wells spoke eloquently against coincidence (“lightning strike”), but his own theory
ultimately rests on an implausible coincidence. Wells’ theory requires that, out of all possible deflations available, the Patriots decided to deflate their footballs by the amount of bias of referee Anderson’s Logo Gauge. Wells should have been worried about his own lightning strike.

The Deflategate controversy originated in scientific and technical errors. Appeal courts
are poorly suited to resolve such errors. There is another way to resolve the controversy. The
scientific community takes considerable pride in the concept of science being “self-correcting”.
Under this philosophy, it is the scientific community, not appeal courts, which has responsibility
for identifying scientific errors and correcting the scientific record. When a scientist has
inadvertently made an error, the most honorable and effective method of correcting the scientific
record is issue a corrected report, and, if such is not possible, retraction. If either Exponent or
Marlow conceded the above errors, it is hard to envisage the Deflategate case continuing much further. Accordingly, even at this late stage, Exponent and/or Marlow should man up, acknowledge the errors and either re-issue corrected reports or retract.

This paper is very clearly-written and persuasive. It would indeed be interesting if Professor Marlowe would respond.

I am guessing that he is being well-compensated to not reply to any inquiries whatsoever.

Any suit will be have to be brought by Brady….and based on past emotional displays of support by Mrs. Brady, I have to believe together they will be eager to go the distance, clear Brady's name, and inflict financial damages against the Foul 32. Having played the good soldier signing below market contracts for years, time for the Brady's to recoup in multiples.

I suspect TB12 may be feeling pull in both directions. Wife who wants to fight on (JMO), Krafty who can't help himself playing appeaser. Then there is the matter of Brady's post-retirement future. Some believe he's a team executive in waiting….maybe a limited partner, maybe more (for another team)……Can TB12 be accepted into the ranks of the Foul 32 after suing their asses off? I can't help but wonder why Brady has yet to scream to the high heavens and why he is being defended exclusively on procedural matters without interjecting wads of analytics to point out the absurdity of the NFL's position. Yes, the appeals is supposed to be based on procedure, but passionate public statements regarding flawed evidence combined with accusations of a corrupted league office will not go unheard by many of the judges. You do what's necessary…no less. Yet Brady has been soft spoken to a fault IMO.

TAKE OFF THE GLOVES

Steve M is a hero of mine. Nice scientific ass kicking and no holds barred conclusion.

" If either Exponent or Marlow conceded the above errors, it is hard to envisage the Deflategate case continuing much further. Accordingly, even at this late stage, Exponent and/or Marlow should man up, acknowledge the errors and either re-issue corrected reports or retract."

This theory was brought up by someone last year in one of the forums. It is plausible but was written off by reasoning that both the Colts ball boy gauge and Walt's gauge would have had to been off to the same degree. That, at face value, seems far fetched but when you realize that out of the 50 new gauges Exponent purchased only 8 accurately measured 13 psi when tested on their calibrated pressure manifold. The others ranged in measurements from 12.55 - 13.2, IIRC.

So Walt could have used two different gauges

Maybe the Colts gauge was not calibrated and measured similar to the Patriots gauge.

Or any other combination of factors that could reasonably explain the stupid discrepancy.

Why are we even chasing 0.3 psi anyways? That's the freaking question.

They start out with 2 psi and conclude "Competitive advantage"......blah blah .....Sharp Analysis......blah blah.....Fumble rates......"easier to grip"..... "Hey I'm an ex jock and I can feel the difference" .........

"But it's only 0.3 psi.....How does that support any of those conclusions?"

"Because ...derrr .....cheatin is cheatin" STFU. No it is not. You can't throw out why 2 psi was the only reason Tom Brady was as good as he is and then when you find out it ain't 2 psi rather 0.3 psi pull a "cheatin is cheatin" out of your ass. Just stupid.

"But his phone"

"I just don't believe what Brady had to say" boo hoo hoo

Watch out Roger. En Banc is coming. It's too big, has too many reputable names and is too juicy to pass up. Get your reply ready. You're gonna need it.

Any suit will be have to be brought by Brady….and based on past emotional displays of support by Mrs. Brady, I have to believe together they will be eager to go the distance, clear Brady's name, and inflict financial damages against the Foul 32. Having played the good soldier signing below market contracts for years, time for the Brady's to recoup in multiples.
I suspect TB12 may be feeling pull in both directions. Wife who wants to fight on (JMO), Krafty who can't help himself playing appeaser. Then there is the matter of Brady's post-retirement future. Some believe he's a team executive in waiting….maybe a limited partner, maybe more (for another team)……Can TB12 be accepted into the ranks of the Foul 32 after suing their asses off? I can't help but wonder why Brady has yet to scream to the high heavens and why he is being defended exclusively on procedural matters without interjecting wads of analytics to point out the absurdity of the NFL's position. Yes, the appeals is supposed to be based on procedure, but passionate public statements regarding flawed evidence combined with accusations of a corrupted league office will not go unheard by many of the judges. You do what's necessary…no less. Yet Brady has been soft spoken to a fault IMO.
TAKE OFF THE GLOVES

I get what you're saying but Brady has stood and spoken incredibly strong throughout this. If it wasn't for Roger's extreme arrogance he would have already served a one or two game suspension for non-cooperation. BUT he wouldn't throw two ball guys under the bus and would not admit to any wrong doing.

This theory was brought up by someone last year in one of the forums. It is plausible but was written off by reasoning that both the Colts ball boy gauge and Walt's gauge would have had to been off to the same degree. That, at face value, seems far fetched but when you realize that out of the 50 new gauges Exponent purchased only 8 accurately measured 13 psi when tested on their calibrated pressure manifold. The others ranged in measurements from 12.55 - 13.2, IIRC.

So Walt could have used two different gauges

Maybe the Colts gauge was not calibrated and measured similar to the Patriots gauge.

Or any other combination of factors that could reasonably explain the stupid discrepancy.

Why are we even chasing 0.3 psi anyways? That's the freaking question.

They start out with 2 psi and conclude "Competitive advantage"......blah blah .....Sharp Analysis......blah blah.....Fumble rates......"easier to grip"..... "Hey I'm an ex jock and I can feel the difference" .........

"But it's only 0.3 psi.....How does that support any of those conclusions?"

"Because ...derrr .....cheatin is cheatin" STFU. No it is not. You can't throw out why 2 psi was the only reason Tom Brady was as good as he is and then when you find out it ain't 2 psi rather 0.3 psi pull a "cheatin is cheatin" out of your ass. Just stupid.

"But his phone"

"I just don't believe what Brady had to say" boo hoo hoo

Watch out Roger. En Banc is coming. It's too big, has too many reputable names and is too juicy to pass up. Get your reply ready. You're gonna need it.

let us not forget the sharks of vegas tweets last year. From then on i have had my hopes at absolute zero to avoid another gut punch

let us not forget the sharks of vegas tweets last year. From then on i have had my hopes at absolute zero to avoid another gut punch

I know. But I don't see how they pass this up. Nation"s top arbitrator, 21 scientists, AFL-CIO, Patriots and Olson vs Clement.

We'll see I guess.

I know. But I don't see how they pass this up. Nation"s top arbitrator, 21 scientists, AFL-CIO, Patriots and Olson vs Clement.

We'll see I guess.

Too bad it wouldn't be televised. I'm sure some of us Pats fans would be watching it as intently as a Superbowl.

"Ted Olson's last rebuttal seems to have left a mark"

"Right Al, we may be close to seeing that red-faced ginger rage that Roger Goodell is known for."

Too bad it wouldn't be televised. I'm sure some of us Pats fans would be watching it as intently as a Superbowl.

Pay per view. I'd pay to see that.

I hope it gets published and that the journal invites the authors of the flawed report to reply. They will, of course, decline, and that will be noted in the journal, leaving McIntyre's paper as the last word. At least that is the way it is supposed to work in science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News