PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephon Gilmore vs Chandler Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It looks like our old friend could be the only thing standing in the way of Gilly and DPOY. We all know high sack numbers skew everything, so a monster game and the sack record next week could seal the deal for Jones. I just hope whoever they play doesn't lay down for him like Favre.

Chandler Jones coming for Strahan's sack record

Nearly half of his sacks come from two games

Nearly half of his sacks come from two games
Doubt that will matter to the voters . . . they'll only look at the total and/or the record (if he gets it).

Always thought that one day Jones would wind up back here but now that they have Kyler don't think he's ever going anywhere.

Even with the sacks, this shouldn’t even be an argument.

Wish Chandler well but no...

With the way he has been playing, part of me kinda wishes we had a way of keeping him... He's outplaying a monster contract, it has been impressive

I know that it wasn't feasible, but can you imagine having C. Jones on this D?

With the way he has been playing, part of me kinda wishes we had a way of keeping him... He's outplaying a monster contract, it has been impressive

Impressive indeed, but he was asked to do a lot more during his tenure here so it’s almost a guarantee that he wouldn’t have achieved this amount of production in NE.

Jones would likely have not gotten these kinds of numbers in NE because the responsibilities are much different here than in AZ. he would never be allowed to just pin his ears back and rush the passer with the kind of freedom he has to do that in AZ.

Impressive indeed, but he was asked to do a lot more during his tenure here so it’s almost a guarantee this he wouldn’t have achieved this amount of production in NE.
We posted almost the same exact thing at almost the same exact moment. lol

Hope he gets the record .... screw that gap toothed woman beater

If you could only have one player, you take Gilmore without a second thought. Gilmore essentially stops a QB from targeting one side of the field. That said, this team wouldn't be worse off without Jones. Letting him go was a rare BB blunder.

Doubtful they'll give it to a guy on like a 5 win team. Unless he breaks that sack record, then maybe.

Wasn’t there a time we were trying to figure out who between HT, Collins and Jones they would keep? Cool that they have two of them now plus Gilmore.

Would be nice, but Thuney and Mitchell did help win Super Bowls.

Some mediots have already been given Gilmore the nod in their season awards, usually that's an indication of how the vote will go. Plus there are a handful of instances where sack leaders haven't got it

Justin Houston had 22 sacks in 2014 but Watt won it

Robert Mathis had 19.5 in 2013 but Luke Kuchehly won it

Jared Allen had 22 in 2011 but sh!thead suggs won it

Demarcus Ware had 20 in 2008 but James Harrison won

Strahan didn't win in '01 just because of the sack record. He won because he had 22.5 sacks and 24 tackles for a loss. Guy was great rushing the passer and stopping the run.

Jones this year has 10 TFL.

Hell Jones had a better all round year in 2017 with 17 sacks (lead the league) and 28 TFL (lead the league) yet Aaron Donald won DPOY

NFL Defensive Player of the Year Odds 2019-20 | Bookies.com

Estimated Odds as of today

Stephon Gilmore (74%)
Chandler Jones (10%)
Aaron Donald (8%)
TJ Watt (8%)

Chandler Jones is unworthy of DPOY. He is just a sack generator like many other players are; basically no correlation to his play and the defensive performance. The weird thing here is that Tre’Davious White and Gilmore should be very close, but White just hasn’t gotten any attention for the award. Instead you have pass rushers cancelling each other out with votes.

Some mediots have already been given Gilmore the nod in their season awards, usually that's an indication of how the vote will go. Plus there are a handful of instances where sack leaders haven't got it

Justin Houston had 22 sacks in 2014 but Watt won it

Robert Mathis had 19.5 in 2013 but Luke Kuchehly won it

Jared Allen had 22 in 2011 but sh!thead suggs won it

Demarcus Ware had 20 in 2008 but James Harrison won

Strahan didn't win in '01 just because of the sack record. He won because he had 22.5 sacks and 24 tackles for a loss. Guy was great rushing the passer and stopping the run.

Jones this year has 10 TFL.

Hell Jones had a better all round year in 2017 with 17 sacks (lead the league) and 28 TFL (lead the league) yet Aaron Donald won DPOY

I think 15 of 24 NFL GMs polled gave it to Gilmore, and the second place guy had 2.5 votes. Would be shocking if at this point he didn’t get it. One more INT would put an exclamation point on the campaign. I’d love to see him win it. It could one day be the difference between the HofF or not, and it could give him a shot at all-decade second team. He’d be the only CB this decade to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe