PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stay Positive Patriot Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYPER

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This idea that we were going to go 14-2 and then sweep through the playoffs ala 2004 was unrealistic. We were fortunate to be 6-1. We've got a young hardworking group that fights and that's why we were able to turn a couple defeats into victories.

Today, we ran into a well rested team coming off their bye week who seems to be playing their best ball in years. For years, the problem in Cleveland was quarterback and they finally seem to have found a budding star. They played well. We didn't. Props to them.

But this hardly means the sky is falling. At the beginning of the year, when we still had guys like Moss, Faulk, Bodden, and Warren, most felt we were a 9 or 10 win team. This is a team in transition. We lead the league in dropped catches. It happens, especially to teams with all the youth that we have. I remember David Givens in 2002. The guy dropped everything. When 2003 began, I couldn't believe he made the team. To my surprise he began catching everything thrown his way. We need to have the same patience with our youngsters today. These kids can play and they'll only get better but they need our support as they face the process of growing up in the NFL.

When its all said and done, we've got a team that will continue to fight and win some games they shouldn't and perhaps, like today, lose a few they shouldn't as well. Maybe the Steelers will crush us. Maybe we'll surprise everyone and pull it out. I don't know. But I do know that this team is heading in the right direction and would like to see a little bit of faith from our fanbase. Things didn't work out today. Maybe they won't work out next week as well. Maybe the Jets will take the division. Get over it. We're still heading towards the playoffs and if we somehow manage to start playing our best ball at the right time, who knows......maybe this team will surprise us all. Either way, all a fanbase has the right to "expect" is a competitive team that consistently finds itself in the running. We have that. As a fanbase, we're one of the lucky ones. Be thankful for that. It wasn't that long ago when we were the Buffalo Bills.

Here here! The rooks on O had a tough day and the defense got gassed by early mistakes. If we hadn't fumbled our first kickoff and had scored at the end of the half, it would have been a different game. We're still 6-2, which is a pretty good mark for mid-season.

I still have faith! Go Pats!

This idea that we were going to go 14-2 and then sweep through the playoffs ala 2004 was unrealistic. We were fortunate to be 6-1. We've got a young hardworking group that fights and that's why we were able to turn a couple defeats into victories.

Today, we ran into a well rested team coming off their bye week who seems to be playing their best ball in years. For years, the problem in Cleveland was quarterback and they finally seem to have found a budding star. They played well. We didn't. Props to them.

But this hardly means the sky is falling. At the beginning of the year, when we still had guys like Moss, Faulk, Bodden, and Warren, most felt we were a 9 or 10 win team. This is a team in transition. We lead the league in dropped catches. It happens, especially to teams with all the youth that we have. I remember David Givens in 2002. The guy dropped everything. When 2003 began, I couldn't believe he made the team. To my surprise he began catching everything thrown his way. We need to have the same patience with our youngsters today. These kids can play and they'll only get better but they need our support as they face the process of growing up in the NFL.

When its all said and done, we've got a team that will continue to fight and win some games they shouldn't and perhaps, like today, lose a few they shouldn't as well. Maybe the Steelers will crush us. Maybe we'll surprise everyone and pull it out. I don't know. But I do know that this team is heading in the right direction and would like to see a little bit of faith from our fanbase. Things didn't work out today. Maybe they won't work out next week as well. Maybe the Jets will take the division. Get over it. We're still heading towards the playoffs and if we somehow manage to start playing our best ball at the right time, who knows......maybe this team will surprise us all. Either way, all a fanbase has the right to "expect" is a competitive team that consistently finds itself in the running. We have that. As a fanbase, we're one of the lucky ones. Be thankful for that. It wasn't that long ago when we were the Buffalo Bills.

Amen :woot:

I agree Pyper, and you're right.

Plus drinking all the remaining beer in my fridge after the game helped :D

Amen :woot:

Great Post! Makes me feel much better. If we at least play a good game at Pittsburg, that will be a good deal. Of course, I really, really want them to win, though!

Every team has one of these games once a year, its not a cause to act like the sky is falling but indeed a wake up call to say that maybe the Pats arent the best team in the NFL.

There were some flaws shown today, the poor run D, dropped passes, lack of a running game and the OL not being able to protect Brady when blitzed. But with such a young and inexperienced team there are going to be plenty of ups and downs throughout the year. This was one of the downs, and it can be learned from. The Pats could turn this into a positive, and not take teams lightly the rest of the way. I could see the Lions game on Thanksgiving being a potential trap game, coming off of games vs the Steelers and Colts and then facing the Jets after them. But after today I think the Pats learned their lesson with trap games.

The Pats are 6-2 which I think any Patriot fan would have taken if they were told thats where the Pats would be after 8 games. They are tied for 1st in the AFC East and have 2 big conference games coming up. We will know a lot more about where they stand after these 2 games

The Jets, Ravens, Dolphins, Saints...Ive heard the same thing (more or less) after losses to those teams, just saying.

great post............this team will beat pittsburgh next week and be ready to handle indy & then the jets, with ease.........have faith patriot fans.

The Pats are 6-2 which I think any Patriot fan would have taken if they were told thats where the Pats would be after 8 games. They are tied for 1st in the AFC East and have 2 big conference games coming up. We will know a lot more about where they stand after these 2 games

We will, and it will be 6-4 after two games and potentially 2 games back of the Jets for the division. That's the reality we are looking at. I'll be honest there is way this team goes into Pitt and beats that team or beats PM the following week. The good thing about that is that you won't have to worry about the Lions trap game because 2 straight losses would eliminate that.

But with that said, I am going to head back to Mr. Rogers's neighborhood and pretend that everything is all hunky dorey like.............

We will, and it will be 6-4 after two games and potentially 2 games back of the Jets for the division. That's the reality we are looking at. I'll be honest there is way this team goes into Pitt and beats that team or beats PM the following week. The good thing about that is that you won't have to worry about the Lions trap game because 2 straight losses would eliminate that.

But with that said, I am going to head back to Mr. Rogers's neighborhood and pretend that everything is all hunky dorey like.............

I am kind of with you. The Pitt game next week will be very tough. The Steeler defense will get to Brady and he struggles when he is under pressure. The Colts are definitely not as good as in years past and are not healthy, but the Colts could get guys back in 2 weeks and Manning is always ready for NE. Both games will be tough, as a Pats fan I think fans should be happy with a split

So we shouldn’t TP Belichick’s House just yet… I’ll put the TP down for now but they better win next week…

I agree Pyper, and you're right.

Plus drinking all the remaining beer in my fridge after the game helped :D

I'm going to have a keg ready for next Sunday's game. If something goes wrong I'm just going to drink until I drop. Then hopefully I won't remember anything.:D

Way too many people are worrying about this game though. It was one loss and it may be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps this team hasn't had the right mindset, being the "top team in the NFL", and maybe they let their guards down a little. I'm not sure but this game should energize them and teach them a lesson. It's better we lose now than later on or VS a team like the Steelers or Jets again.

Why do you people do this? Here is a great thread, one with a very reasonable point of optimism. But then you guys come in here like clockwork going on about how you are expecting the next 2 games to be losses. You don't worry about us losing them, you EXPECT us to lose them.

Wow, what terrible fans you are to EXPECT 2 losses. Can we lose the next 2 games? Sure. Can we win the next 2 games? You better believe it. What kind of fan expects the team to lose their next two games?

Shameful, you don't deserve to be a fan of this team.

Last edited:
We were 6-2 last year as well, but we never got clubbed with the exception of the Ravens game like we did today to a less then talented opponet... If we beat Pitt next week, then today is forgotten, but a performence like that the one we had today, no need to stay up past ten next sun night...

Why do you people do this? Here is a great thread, one with a very reasonable point of optimism. But then you guys come in here like clockwork going on about how you are expecting the next 2 games to be losses. You don't worry about us losing them, you EXPECT us to lose them.

Wow, what terrible fans you are to EXPECT 2 losses. Can we lose the next 2 games? Sure. Can we win the next 2 games? You better believe it. What kind of fan expects the team to lose their next two games?

Shameful

With the way the Pats played today do you really think they can win their next two games? Obviously they most likely wont come out as flat as they did today, but a fan does have a right to question the team and predicting two losses in their next two games isnt out of the question. This site isnt just for homers, its for realists too.

With the way the Pats played today do you really think they can win their next two games? Obviously they most likely wont come out as flat as they did today, but a fan does have a right to question the team and predicting two losses in their next two games isnt out of the question. This site isnt just for homers, its for realists too.

That was THIS week. Maybe you haven't noticed but we played great 6 weeks this season. 6>2. So, odds are, we play great next week.

Besides, there is no excuse for fans to just write off the next two weeks. There is a real chance we lose both of them but to just plain give up on them? To not at least think we could have a chance since we are 6-2? That is shameful.

Last edited:
That was THIS week. Maybe you haven't noticed but we played great 6 weeks this season. 6>2. So, odds are, we play great next week.

Right but the Steelers are the best team in the AFC right now. If the Pats play like they played in games other than today they will most likely lose. Do you think if the Pats play like they did against SD will they beat the Steelers? Definitely not. The Pats will need to play their best game of the season if they want to beat Pittsburgh

Originally Posted by VectorPrime

Shameful

Everybody was saying the same thing going into the Miami game, after wins some fans would say with a team of rooks theres going to be bumps in the road, well today was a bump in the road, just because they played like crap today doesnt mean I expect them to play like crap again next week, in fact after watching this team with BB and Brady for the last 9-10 years I expect them to play a very good game next week, thats their track record.
I dont understand the pessimism after one game when this team has been so competetive for 10 years.

Right but the Steelers are the best team in the AFC right now. If the Pats play like they played in games other than today they will most likely lose. Do you think if the Pats play like they did against SD will they beat the Steelers? Definitely not. The Pats will need to play their best game of the season if they want to beat Pittsburgh

If the Pats play like they played the Ravens (a very similar team to the Steelers) then they win.

And we can afford to struggle a bit against the Colts and still win.

As a Jets fan, I am amazed at how well a very young Patriot team is doing. I think you guys are sometimes to hard on them. I think this is a transition year and still you guys are on top of the division (albeit behind the Jets on a tiebreaker). Your future looks amazing with all the draft choices Belichek has collected and with development of these young players.

By the way, we haven't won since 1969, and being objective, I sense that we are not good enough to win this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes