PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Statement from Bill Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I........Love..............Our...............C-O-A-C-H!!!:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I think you need to use dictionary.com. Belichick's statement following yesterday's statement acknowledged who had the power to make his interpretation be the right one. He basically said, OK you caught me. See you next time.

And yes, I am as glad this is behind us as everyone else.

"My interpretation was incorrect" is a statement of contrition. Had he said "Goodell's interpretation was incorrect" that would NOT have been a statement of contrition.

As a professional linguist for the U.S. Department of Defense in the 80's and 90's, I need no dictionary.com for that conclusion.

You know what? F Chris Mortensen...jacka$$...

Mort-a## like all journalists DO NOT want this thing to die........what else are they going to talk about now? This thing has been resolved and it is OVER.....time to move on to the next overblown media witch trial now Mort.......you pathetic d-bag!!!

I........Love..............Our...............C-O-A-C-H!!!:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:
Imagine having Mangina as your coach? A sore loser and a filthy snake who only turns in his mentor because he got his ***** handed to him. :mad:

Man I feel bad for Jets fans. A crappy coach AND rat.

The frigging rules states, NO VIDEORECORDING, not "no VIDEORECORDING FOR THE PURPOSE OF USE IN CURRENT GAME".

Actually, from my understanding, it does say that.

Last edited:
I apologize to the expert in the field. I really do. However, contrition usually connotes remorse, and some inkling that he won't do it again.

In any case, we can all move on, and deal with the next incident next time. In the meantime, there will be many from other teams.

"My interpretation was incorrect" is a statement of contrition. Had he said "Goodell's interpretation was incorrect" that would NOT have been a statement of contrition.

As a professional linguist for the U.S. Department of Defense in the 80's and 90's, I need no dictionary.com for that conclusion.

Last edited:
An apology isn't going to bring back our first round pick. Belichick risked the future of the Pats knowing full well that he's hated by the league and the media, that the Pats are heavily scrutinized and after having been already caught. He did this even though there are LEGAL WAYS to obtain tape of a team's signals. He did this even after being caught and warned in VERY CLEAR LANGUAGE. The frigging rules states, NO VIDEORECORDING, not "no VIDEORECORDING FOR THE PURPOSE OF USE IN CURRENT GAME". To think that the spineless, "need for approval/look tough" Goodell would ignore the expected media generated hysteria was stupid. The only way Belichick can salvage this season is to win the SB. It's a shame - I looked forward all frigging summer for football season and now I'm going to have to avoid all sports shows until at least the playoffs. An unnecessary, completely avoidable self-inflicted wound. No amount of contrition will make it better.

That what he did in any way ruined your enjoyment of the 2007 football season is just the frosting on my cake. :D

this line

"Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect."

mort says the rules are in black and white and there is no question of interpretation.

Mort is a dumb-ass Religious Right freak. Who gives a crap what he thinks?

An apology isn't going to bring back our first round pick. Belichick risked the future of the Pats knowing full well that he's hated by the league and the media, that the Pats are heavily scrutinized and after having been already caught. He did this even though there are LEGAL WAYS to obtain tape of a team's signals. He did this even after being caught and warned in VERY CLEAR LANGUAGE. The frigging rules states, NO VIDEORECORDING, not "no VIDEORECORDING FOR THE PURPOSE OF USE IN CURRENT GAME". To think that the spineless, "need for approval/look tough" Goodell would ignore the expected media generated hysteria was stupid. The only way Belichick can salvage this season is to win the SB. It's a shame - I looked forward all frigging summer for football season and now I'm going to have to avoid all sports shows until at least the playoffs. An unnecessary, completely avoidable self-inflicted wound. No amount of contrition will make it better.

I think I speak for several when I say, quite simply, "Ohhhhh SHUT UP."

Zing!! You go Shmessy!!:D

Well, good luck with that attitude. I suppose you could make a good Chargers fan, though...

The SAS have a motto that I have always admired: "Who dares, wins". I have absolutely no qualms with what BB did here. I suspect that we'll find that the real problem is going to be the heartburn the rest of the league will have with Mangini & the JETS over this. Now, everytime someone sees an opponent's staffer with a camera, there's going to be a ton of security and accusations flying around.

Teams have had a good thing up till now. Manigini is like the idiot kid that reminds the teacher that she hasn't handed out homework to the class yet. The other kids were hoping the teacher wouldn't remember, but geek-boy spoiled all that.

Well, Mangini spoiled a LOT of team's seasons and SOP's with his little stunt, and you better believe they will remember it.

I suggest you go find another team to root for.. The next ten years will be mighty grim for you. You'll be happier elsewhere, while Belichick coaches here...

Sorry, the language is not clear at all. Goodell mucked it up even more with his clarifying memo. That technique was the way Polian got the league to re emphasize the five yard chuck rule.

If the media weren't in a feeding frenzy the evidence is that he should have received an apology froom Goodell and recieved a draft pick rather than yielding one.

I haven't supported Belichick in all this. But you know what, he didn't risk the future fo the franchise, any more than he has by living on the edge in the past. The first round draft choice means diddly squat. Why don't you go over to the jets board. They'll appreciate the whining.

Belichick stuck to the Commissioner, and he didn't back down. This will cost him $500,000. And for him, it was probably well worth it. He made his choice. He paid the price. And now, he will go back to coaching the best team in football (or at least one of the top three). His coaching has and will more than make up for the loss of a draft choice or two.

Shmessy -
When you were with the DoD, were you considered a cunning linguist?

Sorry...I couldn't help myself.

Besides, I've needed a laugh for a couple of days now.

Last edited:
Its OVAH......let the games continue.

Screw all those Patriot haters from the media and other teams and their fans...a special screw you to Eric the rat and the pitiful jests.

In BB we trust!!

Seems as if he received an outpouring of fan support at a time when he needed it the most, seems to me he is not going anywhere, as long as the Krafts will keep him here - and they BETTER, because 31 other teams would break their arms trying to land him.

Goodnight - see you Sunday night when we mangle the Dolts.

I'm glad Belichick is ours. If he wasn't I would hate him. :)

You know, when things go good, you never know who your friends are.

But when things go bad, you definitely find out who your enemies are.

Bill knows the score and he won't soon forget.

CT, I could not agree more! I also liked what he said about thanking his fans who have stuck by him all along. At the end of the day, I am happy to have stood on Bill's side.

It's a fair statment, a good one even. I accept it. Personally, I might have added the following sentence to this paragraph

"Once again, I apologize to the Kraft family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the New England Patriots for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Patriots fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career. All you other thoughless pr*cks out there can lick my stones"

Other than that, I have no complaints. We can move on............ I'm actually begining to feel slightly sorrow for the Chargers. (no kidding)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back