PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Springs to sign with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Eagles wanted him to play S.

Rumors have been flying that Sheldon Brown is upset with his contract-can't blame him b/c he's one of the most complete CBs in the league(coverage, run D, blitzing, etc), plus they gave their nickel corner(Joselio Hansen) a pretty big one.

Pt being that they wanted to sign a DB, and then trade Brown to possibly Zona for Boldin. McNabb told the FO that unless he gets weapons to work with, he wants out.

Better than JAG...

Rumors have been flying that Sheldon Brown is upset with his contract-can't blame him b/c he's one of the most complete CBs in the league(coverage, run D, blitzing, etc), plus they gave their nickel corner(Joselio Hansen) a pretty big one.

Pt being that they wanted to sign a DB, and then trade Brown to possibly Zona for Boldin. McNabb told the FO that unless he gets weapons to work with, he wants out.

They didn't tell him their plans though.....

The National Football Post | Stats

Yesss!!! Good pick up. Now just sign Galloway and Jason Taylor and i'll be happy with the yearly raid on retirement homes!!!!

Without knowing the dollars comitted, I'd love to see Bodden added on top of Springs. Springs played some safety for the Skins last year, and that kind of versatility, with the Pats system, would mean Hobbs, Bodden, and Springs on the field together for a good chunk of the time. Again, I'm not sure what the dollars are, and whether or not Bodden's cost is too rich for our cap.

I agree. Would love to see Bodden here in addition to Springs. Will be interested to see what Springs contract looks like, but he could be an ideal 1-2 year solution.

Just glad to see a veteran CB signed. Hope it's not for too much money. When he's healthy, he can still play.

"When I played for Washington, I was all over the field," Springs said. "I wasn't a full-time safety, but we had a lot of packages where I was like a safety."

I wonder if it came down to Bodden and Springs, BB liked Springs' versatility more. Regardless, I think this is a great signing, I remember when he was widely considered a top 5 DB a few years ago. I bet competing for a championship this year will light a fire under him. :D

Very nice to see this. Being in DC, the story with Springs was often how much he was missed when he was injured--the flip side of course is that when he is healthy he contributes. His strong suit is tight coverage 0-10 yards (an attribute sometimes sorely lacking among Patriot CBs).

Very nice to see this. Being in DC, the story with Springs was often how much he was missed when he was injured--the flip side of course is that when he is healthy he contributes. His strong suit is tight coverage 0-10 yards (an attribute sometimes sorely lacking among Patriot CBs).

Last year our cornerbacks seemed to give the wide receivers a

ten yard cushion. I remember O'Neal trying to bump and run and

missing the receiver completely.

Without knowing the dollars comitted, I'd love to see Bodden added on top of Springs. Springs played some safety for the Skins last year, and that kind of versatility, with the Pats system, would mean Hobbs, Bodden, and Springs on the field together for a good chunk of the time. Again, I'm not sure what the dollars are, and whether or not Bodden's cost is too rich for our cap.

I too would have liked to see Bodden. The further out from his visit, the less likely I think it is that he will be willing to come to terms with the Pats on money, but I think he would have been a solid addition. My guess is that we will live with Springs in addition to our current CB corps. I still see drafting a long-term starter at S opposite Meriweather as a bigger need than CB.

Now how am I supposed to read what you posted when you have pictures of my girlfriend as your signature? Honestly!

I love the signings and I'm feeling good going into next season. First, it allows the Pats to trade one of their picks rather than take another corner that may or may not contribute in 09. Second, Hobbs lacked a proven corner to learn from. Samuel had Ty Law and O'Neal, but could benefit from what Springs has learned along the way. Third, he can do a lot for the team because he can be moved around the field. Guess he wants to be a corner still and that is why he signed with NE instead of Specter's team, errr the Eagles.

Good hopefully he can be a solid contributor at corner for us haven't had one since Asante left. Wish it was bodden instead but hopefully springs could ball.

Good move, we have some youth there with Wheatley and probably Wilhite. Those two with Hobbs and Springs gives us a potentially decent group. Add another draft pick this year and we should have some guys getting ready for lots of play when Hobbs and Springs are gone; Hobbs is a FA after next year.

I think we should have just picked up Otis Smith. He would have done some good, has experience in the system, very knowledgable.

No but seriously, good pickup. Would have preffered the youth of Bodden, but this will be good enough too.

IMHO, The signing of Springs rules out us bringing Bodden here.. I see this as a stop gap measure.. We'll draft another cb with a high pick this year and Springs and Hobbs will turn the reign over to them by next year.. Springs will probably hand it over by week 5..

I don't see Springs playing CB for the Pats. I see him playing safety. I don't think Bodden is out just yet, but its not looking good for him.

Only issue with Springs is that he's hurt too much. I live here in DC and people became frustrated with him due to the fact that he was always nicked up, never practiced, and even sat out some games because he declared himself not 100%. I am sure Bill addressed these rumors when he brought Springs in and Springs understands what Bill is looking for. He is a good player when he is on the field. I hope it works out.

Our entire team went down last year..

Strength and conditioning can't account for broken bones or other catastrophic injuries like torn ACLs. Unless you know of some excercises that will strengthen Jaw bones and that will keep an ACL from being torn when the knee is hit from the side. And, if you do, please let all the doctors and physical therapists know because they've been searching for years for them.

[Update, 3:16 p.m. -- The Globe can confirm that the sides have an agreement, but a contract has not yet been finalized]

I hope it's a 2-3 mil a year contract or else we are not going to be able to sign any WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back