PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes placed on IR with ligament tear in knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone on the forum has Rex Ryan and the Jets on the brain 24/7, it's likely to be Joker. Kind of a strange comment coming from someone who's made it a full time purpose in life to hate them and bring them up so much. Personally, I haven't had Ryan's name in any of my comments for months.

I think Joe was employing irony and poking fun at himself with his comment.

I enjoyed it.

Brandon Spikes loss is Jamie Collins gain

Outside of Chandler Jones there has been no other defensive prospect drafted by this team more intriguing and potentially impactful than Jamie Collins in my opinion. Collins is a rare specimen who literally played every level of defense in his college career, he started out as a safety in the defensive backfield, moved to linebacker and finished up as a defensive end. Athletically he is a freak:

Combine Workout
• Height: 6034
• Weight: 250
• 40 Yrd Dash: 4.59
• 20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
• 10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
• 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
• Vertical Jump: 41 1/2
• Broad Jump: 11'07"
• 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.32
• 3-Cone Drill: 7.10

The thing that is most exciting about Collins is he is one of those rookies that showed significant improvements each week of the NFL regular season:

First 8 games
• Combined tackles – 14
• Solo tackles – 6
• Stuffs – 0
• Hurries – 1
• QB hits - 0
• Pass Defended – 0

Final 8 games
• Combined tackles – 29
• Solo tackles – 18
• Stuffs – 2
• Hurries – 3
• QB hits – 4
• Pass Defended – 3

Obviously Spikes loss will affect this team negatively especially in the running game but I firmly believe we have a player in Collins who is about to become a household name and the loss of Spikes gives him that opportunity.

Stop worrying about losing him to the Jets. ILB is about 10th on their FA wishlist of positions, and that's only if they decide to move on from David Harris rather than restructure him at a lower price.

Everyone knows that I'm not the biggest Spikes fan and never thought he'd be back next year. But that being said, this hurts the Pats. Despite the limited aspects to his game, what he can do, he does well, as well as adding a layer of physicality to the D the Pats will miss in the short term. It just makes it more imperative that Hightower and Fletcher pick up their games, as well as Collins.

It also means that we are going to see more defensive backs and fewer LB's on the field in future games. Fortunately we aren't going to see a strong running game until we reach the superbowl (if we make it that far), so the impact isn't as big as it could have been, at least short term.

While I agree with those who think Spikes is gone next year, I don't see him with the Jets. Like most of the rest of the league, including the Pats and Jets, Spikes is a throw back, in an age where speed is valued over almost everything. Teams are looking for the LDavid, and Kiko Alanso types at LB, while Spikes is more like **** Butkis. A good player trying to survive in a time that's not great for his skill set.

BTW- all the would haves and could haves lovers. still b!ching teeth about previous drafts is starting to get annoying. Get over it already! I'm still waiting for the thread complaining that we should have waited until the 7th round to get Brady and missed out on so and so. :eek: :rolleyes:

Does anyone think there's any possibility that this move could have been made with an eye on specific gameplanning and strategic purposes? I know it has a bit of tin foil hat conspiracy theory to it, but the thought did cross my mind.

First off, we're likely to be playing a ton of subs in order to try and get to the SB in the first place, so it's likely that they would be a lessened need for Spikes' services to begin with. With IND and (hopefully/probably) DEN on the horizon, did Belichick feel that he'd be limited already?

Possibly more importantly (depending on how you see it), Howe and Guregian are reporting that Spikes does NOT need surgery. It could be argued that it's coming off as a bit weird that they waited until their opponent was named (although that may have been coincidental). Either way, after knowing of Spikes' injury for awhile now, and the report that he could use rest to play, it seems a bit strange that he finally gets the rest that he needs with our 2 week bye, then they wait until 5 days before the game and place him on IR.

I think it would make a lot more sense if he had been on the inactive list lately, specifically vs BUF when we had Dennard and McCourty resting, but that wasn't the case.

Spikes takes late detour to IR | Boston Herald

No.
There is nothing gained by having LaJared Davis in street clothes inactive (or whoever else moves to the inactive list).
Even if the game plan said play nickel 100% of time and keeping in mind Spikes has been playing in nickel, having him available just for goalline defense is more valuable that whoever the last guy on the bench taking is active spot is.

No.
There is nothing gained by having LaJared Davis in street clothes inactive (or whoever else moves to the inactive list).
Even if the game plan said play nickel 100% of time and keeping in mind Spikes has been playing in nickel, having him available just for goalline defense is more valuable that whoever the last guy on the bench taking is active spot is.

It seems a bit odd that he if only needs rest and not surgery, that he could in theory have missed Sat's game and then next week (if we get that far), and would have had almost 6 full weeks apart to rest and possibly play in the SB.

If all he needs is rest, which is what is being reported, then why not just wait it out and see if he can go 6 weeks from the week #17 game? You'd only be carrying him on the roster for 2 more games.

It seems a bit odd that he if only needs rest and not surgery, that he could in theory have missed Sat's game and then next week (if we get that far), and would have had almost 6 full weeks apart to rest and possibly play in the SB.

If all he needs is rest, which is what is being reported, then why not just wait it out and see if he can go 6 weeks from the week #17 game? You'd only be carrying him on the roster for 2 more games.
Could be odd I guess, but BB clearly determined Spikes wouldn't be available through the SB. BTW, the SB is in 31/2 weeks not 6.
The reason obviously is there is no hope he will be ready so you need the roster spot to prepare someone who can play if needed. If we have more injuries, the spot becomes important and if the spot becomes important its a good thing the new guy had 3 1/2 weeks to prepare.
There is nothing game plan related that says BB really just cut Spikes because he wasn't going to play him, and Davis will help us win more, which is what I infer from your conspiracy theory.

He probably can't stand on his leg.

. BTW, the SB is in 31/2 weeks not 6.

5 weeks from regular season game #16 to the Super Bowl though

1-wild card week
2-division week
3-AFC championship week
4-middle Sunday following the off week
5-SB game day

Could be odd I guess, but BB clearly determined Spikes wouldn't be available through the SB. BTW, the SB is in 31/2 weeks not 6.
The reason obviously is there is no hope he will be ready so you need the roster spot to prepare someone who can play if needed. If we have more injuries, the spot becomes important and if the spot becomes important its a good thing the new guy had 3 1/2 weeks to prepare.

There is approximately 6 weeks between the last week #17 game of the season and the SB, which is where I got the "6 week" number from.

I'd have to be a complete moron to think that the SB were in 6 weeks, and although I certainly have my flaws, I'd certainly hope that you don't think I'm THAT bad ;)

The idea was to keep him on the roster and allow him to rest from the end of week 17 when he last played, to Feb.2nd--should we be fortunate to go back to the big game. There would be two 2 week "byes" in that time period alone, along with the time between the divisional round and the AFCCG. In reality, I suppose it would be closer to 5 weeks than 6 though after thinking about it in depth.

That's still 5 full weeks of rest however, and since that was more than enough to allow Gronk's MCL to properly heal before his scheduled surgery today, one can reasonable wonder if that 5 week time period may have been sufficient enough to have Spikes return with only missing TWO games in total.

There is nothing game plan related that says BB really just cut Spikes because he wasn't going to play him, and Davis will help us win more, which is what I infer from your conspiracy theory.

Well, to be fair I think that conspiracy theory is a bit harsh, although I did admit that there were some tin foil hat aspects to the thought crossing my mind in the first place.

I imagine that since he was able to practice last week, he simply had a major enough setback that it wasn't worth keeping the roster spot for even in the chance that he could play in the SB, and that Belichick thought that it could be put to better use with another player. If that is indeed correct, then there may have been some truth to my pondering after all.

The fact that he doesn't reportedly need surgery, yet isn't being kept for the possibility to return to play in the SB would point to it at least being a possibility. I find it hard to believe that he couldn't progress significantly enough to attempt to play with 5+ weeks rest, even if he had incurred an MCL tear on some level.

5 weeks from regular season game #16 to the Super Bowl though

1-wild card week
2-division week
3-AFC championship week
4-middle Sunday following the off week
5-SB game day

Yes, sir.

That is what I was getting at. ;)

HE WAS PLACED ON IR BECAUSE HE WAS LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

HE WAS PLACED ON IR BECAUSE HE WAS LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Multiple times according to the report. Plus, he IS injured.

This leaves no doubt about whether Pats try to retain him at least.

While we definitely aren't sure whether or not this is true, it does point so my questioning of the whole matter previously in the thread as at least warranted.

If a guy doesn't need surgery and needs "rest" to heal up an injury, then the 5 (or 6--if they would've chosen to hold him out of the last regular season game) week period should have been able to make him a good candidate to play in the Super Bowl, should we had made it that far.

There may have been an option where Spikes only missed a couple of games in tonight and potentially next week's, but Belichick probably felt that he could make better use of the roster spot instead. Whether or not it's related to the national report of him being late or not is anyone's guess.

Terrific, another distraction on the eve of another PO game.
I really really hope that Bill isn't this petty.

While we definitely aren't sure whether or not this is true, it does point so my questioning of the whole matter previously in the thread as at least warranted.

If a guy doesn't need surgery and needs "rest" to heal up an injury, then the 5 (or 6--if they would've chosen to hold him out of the last regular season game) week period should have been able to make him a good candidate to play in the Super Bowl, should we had made it that far.

There may have been an option where Spikes only missed a couple of games in tonight and potentially next week's, but Belichick probably felt that he could make better use of the roster spot instead. Whether or not it's related to the national report of him being late or not is anyone's guess.

The "rest" argument is intriguing. It appears that this is what they are doing with Dobson, for instance. If they needed a roster spot, they could simply have (finally) released Bequette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back