PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes placed on IR with ligament tear in knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a statue, with an torn acl, but once in a while you'd see a runner stop short and slam to the ground like wile e Coyote hitting an anvil.

Can't do much more than that with no knee.

Exactly. He was down to being a role player after this injury hit.

It doesn't lessen the fact that losing even an injured Spikes truly hurts our D in 3rd and 1 situations.

I'd wager that was Spikes last game as a Patriot. I'd also bet he's siged by somebody in the division.

Gawd, I'd hate to see Rex pick this guy up.

Gawd, I'd hate to see Rex pick this guy up.

Yep. As much of a joke the Jets are on offense, Ryan has once again put together a formidable defense, and the addition of Spikes would directly fit in line with their very aggressive defensive front seven.

I think many of us assume that he likely won't be back, but obviously that's pure speculation without any merit. I just worry that there are other teams that will value him more in the coming months of free agency.

you guys have Ryan on the brain 24/7..krist, give it a break

Yep. As much of a joke the Jets are on offense, Ryan has once again put together a formidable defense, and the addition of Spikes would directly fit in line with their very aggressive defensive front seven.

I think many of us assume that he likely won't be back, but obviously that's pure speculation without any merit. I just worry that there are other teams that will value him more in the coming months of free agency.

What is the highest a LB like him is paid? A run stopping LB?

I'm not sure, BTM. Obviously, different people will have different opinions about players and their worth.

The concern with any player is that another team will overpay or value him more.

I wouldn't think that Spikes will bring anything more than about 3.5--3.75m per year no matter where he goes, but I'm also not sure that Belichick will offer him something quite that much. I'm guessing that he'll see that as too high for a 2 down player, and I think that the selection of Collins may have gone hand in hand with the foreshadowing that Spikes may not be here past 2013.

Koa Misi got $3.5M a year to be the Dolphins' two down linebacker. Different types of players, but similar roles. I think that Spikes is the better player, but that Misi deal is awful, so that's probably a good benchmark. If a team offers him that, I think the Pats have to let him go. If it's more in the $2M a year range, then sure.

Exactly. He was down to being a role player after this injury hit.

It doesn't lessen the fact that losing even an injured Spikes truly hurts our D in 3rd and 1 situations.

Not as much as a few weeks ago IMO. Siliga has really solidified that line, so I think we're good against the run. Anyway, we've got to do it, so it's time to see the linebacker of the future in Collins. Hightower or Fletcher at MLB?

Spikes would actually be a great fit in Ryan's defense. He can't cover, but he can sure as hell play up at the line, and Ryan does love him some overloaded line play.

Koa Misi got $3.5M a year to be the Dolphins' two down linebacker. Different types of players, but similar roles. I think that Spikes is the better player, but that Misi deal is awful, so that's probably a good benchmark. If a team offers him that, I think the Pats have to let him go. If it's more in the $2M a year range, then sure.

Thankfully, us fans don't get a say in the personnel decisions, but in this case I wouldn't be opposed to see Spikes signed at a deal as high as 2.5m per year or so. I think if we're expecting anything more than about a 25% chance of retaining him, we're going to have to come up to 2.5+ to get it done.

Obviously anything more than 2.75m or so per year wouldn't be smart in the big picture--unless they possibly did a small deal for only a year at something in the range of just below 3m until they were more prepared for his departure. If that were the case, I wouldn't be too concerned about wasting the cap space while guys like Collins and Hightower continued to develop another season.

Not as much as a few weeks ago IMO. Siliga has really solidified that line, so I think we're good against the run. Anyway, we've got to do it, so it's time to see the linebacker of the future in Collins. Hightower or Fletcher at MLB?

We don't need no stinking MLB; it's 4-2-5 full tilt, full time.

I've always thought of the Jets as a mosquito on the windshield of the Belichick Brady Express. They'll get you once or twice but generally, you splatter them, clean your windshield then keep on driving.

We don't need no stinking MLB; it's 4-2-5 full tilt, full time.

I'm no expert in defensive personnel/alignments etc, but I would think that Hightower would be the best choice for our future MLB should Spikes depart in free agency. Collins would obviously play strong side, with Mayo at the usual weak side.

As you noted, it's only going to be 1/2 the snaps anyway. I would like to see an additional vet or rookie brought in (actually preferable a vet to be honest), along with retaining Dane Fletcher.

I know it's his contract year, but I give Spikes credit for toughing it out the past few months. He's been limping around for a while. He had a knee issue last year as well, IIRC. I see him signing a one-year, prove-it kind of deal in the off-season. Good luck on your rehab, Brandon.

I'd add that the likelihood of such a deal is higher than we may have thought, because it will be the Pats who have the best view of his rehab.

Umm, that assumes he actually rehabs with the Pats rather than on his own, which based on his past choices is far from certain ...

In the short term, we might see more of a 3-4 base.

Siliga/Vellano/Chr. Jones
Cha. Jones/Ninko
Hightower/Collins

isn't exactly how they drew it up at the beginning of the season, but it is what it is ...

I'm no expert in defensive personnel/alignments etc, but I would think that Hightower would be the best choice for our future MLB should Spikes depart in free agency. Collins would obviously play strong side, with Mayo at the usual weak side.

As you noted, it's only going to be 1/2 the snaps anyway. I would like to see an additional vet or rookie brought in (actually preferable a vet to be honest), along with retaining Dane Fletcher.

So would I, though I was actually referring to our D alignment for the rest of this season,
which now looks likely to last just one more game anyway.

I've always thought of the Jets as a mosquito on the windshield of the Belichick Brady Express. They'll get you once or twice but generally, you splatter them, clean your windshield then keep on driving.

If anyone on the forum has Rex Ryan and the Jets on the brain 24/7, it's likely to be Joker. Kind of a strange comment coming from someone who's made it a full time purpose in life to hate them and bring them up so much. Personally, I haven't had Ryan's name in any of my comments for months.

If we're looking at it without bias, Wilkerson, Richardson, and the lot make a pretty solid front seven though. Even the joke that was Dee Milliner received the AFC defensive rookie of the month for December. I would imagine that the Jets would be considered by many to be up and comers in the defensive area. Offensively, they need to make a lot of moves to raise that win total from 8 to 10-11 or so. If we're discussing a physical player like Spikes, I would think that the Jets would be quite interested, especially since they prefer to snatch up a good portion of our players when they can.

If anyone on the forum has Rex Ryan and the Jets on the brain 24/7, it's likely to be Joker. Kind of a strange comment coming from someone who's made it a full time purpose in life to hate them and bring them up so much. Personally, I haven't had Ryan's name in any of my comments for months.

If we're looking at it without bias, Wilkerson, Richardson, and the lot make a pretty solid front seven though. Even the joke that was Dee Milliner received the AFC defensive rookie of the month for December. I would imagine that the Jets would be considered by many to be up and comers in the defensive area. Offensively, they need to make a lot of moves to raise that win total from 8 to 10-11 or so. If we're discussing a physical player like Spikes, I would think that the Jets would be quite interested, especially since they prefer to snatch up a good portion of our players when they can.
Wilkerson and Richardson are excellent players. It's the Linebackers and Defensive Backs that don't bother me in the slightest. Mind you, a dominant DL can cover many many issues on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST