PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes placed on IR with ligament tear in knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
So would I, though I was actually referring to our D alignment for the rest of this season,
which now looks likely to last just one more game anyway.

I agree that the next 2 opponents (should we get that far) would point to a ton of nickel 4-2-5 alignments, and the only way the loss of Spikes would be felt that badly is if we had to face a team like SD, SF, SEA, or maybe CAR. Indy and the assumption of DEN would point to a ton of passing matchups, so let's hope that Fletcher/Collins are up to the task.

I think we should have at least 2 more games remaining myself.

Wilkerson and Richardson are excellent players. It's the Linebackers and Defensive Backs that don't bother me in the slightest. Mind you, a dominant DL can cover many many issues on D.

I'm not really one to complain about too many moves in the draft not being made, but I really thought that Wilkerson was an excellent candidate to come in 2011 at the end of round one. Obviously Belichick did not feel the same.

No use crying over spilled milk though.

If anyone on the forum has Rex Ryan and the Jets on the brain 24/7, it's likely to be Joker. Kind of a strange comment coming from someone who's made it a full time purpose in life to hate them and bring them up so much. Personally, I haven't had Ryan's name in any of my comments for months.

If we're looking at it without bias, Wilkerson, Richardson, and the lot make a pretty solid front seven though. Even the joke that was Dee Milliner received the AFC defensive rookie of the month for December. I would imagine that the Jets would be considered by many to be up and comers in the defensive area. Offensively, they need to make a lot of moves to raise that win total from 8 to 10-11 or so. If we're discussing a physical player like Spikes, I would think that the Jets would be quite interested, especially since they prefer to snatch up a good portion of our players when they can.

David Harris is 29, has clearly lost a step, and has a big number in the last year of his deal. Spikes would make a good replacement for him.

I believe that Mr. Joe Kerr was just kidding with his Wrecks & the J-E-S-T comment.

Spikes' injury will probably hurt him as a free agent this year. Patriots may get to re-sign him cheap.

Next man up. Next man up?? Hello ???

Next man up. Next man up?? Hello ???

I'm in the process of flying to Logan as we speak.

Look out Colts, my 5'10" 170 lb frame is going to do damage.

#POOOOWWWWWWW (JR)

This is insane! Does anybody have a list of all starters and/or season ending injuries to the Pats this year. This has got to be some kind of record. It blows my mind. What the hell did BB do in his past life to deserve this? :(

I'm not really one to complain about too many moves in the draft not being made, but I really thought that Wilkerson was an excellent candidate to come in 2011 at the end of round one. Obviously Belichick did not feel the same.

No use crying over spilled milk though.

If Wilkerson had been available at #33, then I hope Bill would've had the good sense
to take him instead of Glas-IR.

I would've told New Orleans that #33 would be for sale the following morning, but
#28 was being used - by us, on Mo Wilkerson.

If Wilkerson had been available at #33, then I hope Bill would've had the good sense
to take him instead of Glas-IR.

I would've told New Orleans that #33 would be for sale the following morning, but
#28 was being used - by us, on Mo Wilkerson.

That would've been an ideal situation, especially if it had been for a 1st.

Unfortunately, so is life in the draft, but boy did I like Wilkerson coming out of Temple.

That would've been an ideal situation, especially if it had been for a 1st.

Unfortunately, so is life in the draft, but boy did I like Wilkerson coming out of Temple.

He'd be a Patriot if he'd played for Rutgers. ;)

David Harris is 29, has clearly lost a step, and has a big number in the last year of his deal. Spikes would make a good replacement for him.

Depends on what the Jets want to do going forward. Spikes is an upgrade over Harris, but philosophically it probably isn't a good idea to bring Spikes over for them. The coverage ability of their safeties is about on par with the 2010 Pats, and unless they fix that they can't afford to play a linebacker like Spikes or Harris on anything close to an every-down basis. In essence, the benefit of playing a 3-4 that's a better natural fit for spikes is offset by how bad their safeties are.

And if he's just going to be a situational run defender for them, the it's hard to see them paying more than the Pats or, for that matter, some other team that's likely to have bigger plans for him.

I'm sure Rex will be pulling for him anyway, though

Spikes' injury will probably hurt him as a free agent this year. Patriots may get to re-sign him cheap.

tht is what i hope...i don't wish injury...but if he has surgery and can't work out in FA...pats may be able to get him back

tht is what i hope...i don't wish injury...but if he has surgery and can't work out in FA...pats may be able to get him back

The injury may help to force him into a one year temporary deal, and if that happens he may be more inclined to stay here for another year unless the money offers are that much more significant. I hope that he stays.

Does anyone think there's any possibility that this move could have been made with an eye on specific gameplanning and strategic purposes? I know it has a bit of tin foil hat conspiracy theory to it, but the thought did cross my mind.

First off, we're likely to be playing a ton of subs in order to try and get to the SB in the first place, so it's likely that they would be a lessened need for Spikes' services to begin with. With IND and (hopefully/probably) DEN on the horizon, did Belichick feel that he'd be limited already?

Possibly more importantly (depending on how you see it), Howe and Guregian are reporting that Spikes does NOT need surgery. It could be argued that it's coming off as a bit weird that they waited until their opponent was named (although that may have been coincidental). Either way, after knowing of Spikes' injury for awhile now, and the report that he could use rest to play, it seems a bit strange that he finally gets the rest that he needs with our 2 week bye, then they wait until 5 days before the game and place him on IR.

I think it would make a lot more sense if he had been on the inactive list lately, specifically vs BUF when we had Dennard and McCourty resting, but that wasn't the case.

Spikes takes late detour to IR | Boston Herald

Does anyone think there's any possibility that this move could have been made with an eye on specific gameplanning and strategic purposes? I know it has a bit of tin foil hat conspiracy theory to it, but the thought did cross my mind.

First off, we're likely to be playing a ton of subs in order to try and get to the SB in the first place, so it's likely that they would be a lessened need for Spikes' services to begin with. With IND and (hopefully/probably) DEN on the horizon, did Belichick feel that he'd be limited already?

Possibly more importantly (depending on how you see it), Howe and Guregian are reporting that Spikes does NOT need surgery. It could be argued that it's coming off as a bit weird that they waited until their opponent was named (although that may have been coincidental). Either way, after knowing of Spikes' injury for awhile now, and the report that he could use rest to play, it seems a bit strange that he finally gets the rest that he needs with our 2 week bye, then they wait until 5 days before the game and place him on IR.

I think it would make a lot more sense if he had been on the inactive list lately, specifically vs BUF when we had Dennard and McCourty resting, but that wasn't the case.

Spikes takes late detour to IR | Boston Herald

The team's approach is often to wait and see how quickly a guy recovers.

However, there's a game-planning side I can believe in, which is that there was no chance of them filling his roster spot until they saw how the weekend's games came out, so why bother IRing him before then?

The team's approach is often to wait and see how quickly a guy recovers.

However, there's a game-planning side I can believe in, which is that there was no chance of them filling his roster spot until they saw how the weekend's games came out, so why bother IRing him before then?

I think you're on to something. While it's possible the injury just happened to come to a head Sunday night/Monday morning, the timing does suggest it may have been done, or partly done, based on the gameplan for the upcoming opponent(s).

This IR really bothers me, even though he has had diminished playing time the past few weeks.... not sure how they will fill this gap.

What is the tipping point for the amount of starters lost and ability to win games??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST