PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spencer Defensive Rookie Of The Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
They just had a draft special on ESPN where the talked to Kiper and McShay. Kiper said he think Anthony Spencer will be the rookie defensive player of the year. Joe Thomas claims Spencer was the toughest player he went against in '06. I can't remember if Joe Thomas said he reminded him of going up against Tamba Hali, or if Kiper said he is kind of like Tamba Hali, but it was something like that.

Anyways, it seems Woodley, Harris, and Spencer would all be great first round options.

Hey Heatster? I had Spencer as a first round option, but after talking to you more I went and looked at more of his reports, and watched some of his video, which put him up there with Woodley, for me. I would still take Woodley first, but if NE selects Spencer I'd be very happy.

Last edited:
Hey Heatster? I had Spencer as a first round option, but after talking to you more I went and looked at more of his reports, and watched some of his video, which put him up there with Woodley, for me. I would still take Woodley first, but if NE selects Spencer I'd be very happy.

Like I've said previously, I called this one with my eyes. I saw three Purdue games and four Michigan games, and I thought Spencer was better with far less surrounding talent.

But now we have to figure out which one would make a smoother transition to OLB for New England. I like Woodley's leadership. I like Spencer's athleticism and ferocity.

I was gung ho on taking him in the first up to about two weeks ago, now I've softened a bit, since I don't particularly like conversion projects in the first. Still, if my other top targets are gone (Carriker, Revis, Meacham), I would still draft Spencer. He can definitely help this team immediately, possibly start or be solidly in the three man rotation in '08. The fifth year of the contract probably helps his chances of being drafted in the late first.

I also saw him play and was most impressed by his run stopping ability. It was clearly evident why he racked up all of those TFLs.

I don't bother mentioning him anymore because he hasn't moved from my board. He's been at #28 -- and he's staying there.

One rap against him is his lack of height. Well his height and weight is almost exactly the same as Banta-Cain. But on paper, he seems like an upgrade from Tully.

One point that may not be of interest to anyone but myself is the Colvin connection. I know that Rosey remains close to Purdue; in addition to BB's own scouting reports, Colvin may have an insider's opinion of Spencer's character, leadership, etc. that could only help the evaluation process. In addition, playing the same position may lead to a mentorship role for Rosey, making the transition to the Pats defense somewhat easier for Anthony.

I like the kid, but I still believe he is better suited to 4-3 DE.

I also saw him play and was most impressed by his run stopping ability. It was clearly evident why he racked up all of those TFLs.

I don't bother mentioning him anymore because he hasn't moved from my board. He's been at #28 -- and he's staying there.

One rap against him is his lack of height. Well his height and weight is almost exactly the same as Banta-Cain. But on paper, he seems like an upgrade from Tully.

One point that may not be of interest to anyone but myself is the Colvin connection. I know that Rosey remains close to Purdue; in addition to BB's own scouting reports, Colvin may have an insider's opinion of Spencer's character, leadership, etc. that could only help the evaluation process. In addition, playing the same position may lead to a mentorship role for Rosey, making the transition to the Pats defense somewhat easier for Anthony.

That's funny, on ESPN when talking about him I also said something about Colvin. I think when they talk about his lack of height they mean for a DE, not for a LB. Sports XChange compares Spencer to Shawn Phillips, and Woodley to Darryl Tapp. New Era Scouting compares Woodley to Colvin, and Spencer to Phillips.

Some scouting reports say Spencer and Woodley lack Bulk. Well, they might lack a little size if they are playing DE, but let's compare Woodley and Spencer to other 3-4 OLB's:

Mike Vrabel 6'4" 261lbs
Rosevelt Colvin 6'3" 250lbs
Adalius Thomas 6'2" 270lbs
Tully Banta-Cain 6'2" 250lbs
Shawn Phillips 6'3" 262lbs
Shaun Merriman 6'4" 272lbs
Clark Haggans 6'4" 243lbs
Arnold Harrison 6'3" 241lbs
James Harrison 6'0" 242lbs
Ronald Stanley 6'0" 244lbs
Willie McGinest 6'5" 268lbs
Kamerion Wimbley 6'3" 245lbs
David McMillan 6'3" 250lbs

Anthony Spencer 6'2 7/8" (just under 6'3") 261lbs(combine) 265lbs(Pro Day)

LaMarr Woodley 6'1 1/2" 266lbs (combine) 265lbs (Pro Day)

If you compare their size to the other 3-4 OLB's listed they have good size for the position. Also, their both stout against the run, which adds to their value.

I should point out that Woodley ran a 4.74 - 40 at his Pro Day coming off injury. Spencer ran a 4.7 - 40 at the combine, and a 4.69 - 40 at his Pro Day.

Last edited:
Take my word, a first hand view of it, Spencer will not translate as good at OLB as Woodley will. Even though Woodley didn't time as well, he is far more explosive changing direction and much quicker doing so. Spencer's hips aren't fluid enough, but he could turn out to be a very good LB, I just think he'll find a niche as a top notch DE.

Take my word, a first hand view of it, Spencer will not translate as good at OLB as Woodley will. Even though Woodley didn't time as well, he is far more explosive changing direction and much quicker doing so.

I appreciate your opinions, and greatly respect them. I didn't see that in the field, and the combine/Pro-day drills are essentially even. I'm not sure Woodley is quicker or more explosive changing direction.

Maybe he's better at recognition and reacting, and that's why you perceive him to be more "sudden"?

I appreciate your opinions, and greatly respect them. I didn't see that in the field, and the combine/Pro-day drills are essentially even. I'm not sure Woodley is quicker or more explosive changing direction.

Maybe he's better at recognition and reacting, and that's why you perceive him to be more "sudden"?

Well, play recognition is listed as Woodley's strength on draftstock.com.

I also think what he's pointing to is that Woodley plays faster than he times, and I noticed that myself. I didn't really get to watch very many Purdue games this year, but I watched four or five Michigan games, and Woodley was a beast.

Defensive Rookie of the Year? Brandon Meriweather. Coming from a big-time school, with big-time pressure, Meriweather, like most of the top Miami draftees, should adjust quickly to the NFL. Setting the solo tackle record for safeties is really saying something at a school which churns out productive NFL DBs (he was only a 2 year starter). He flies to the ball with playing speed that is even more impressive than his 4.47 40. He loves to hit and is willing to take on bigger players. He's a real team guy - he played both corners and safety this year due to injuries to other players, despite knowing this could affect his draft status. He displays natural talent with his back turned to the action and facing the QB - imagine a great cover safety that can and will hit like a Strong Safety. Meriweather's smart and diagnoses the play quickly, reacts decisively. I love the way he plays, all the technical assessments aside.

He certainly lost his head during the stomping debacle and the returning fire thing is pretty strange, I'll admit. But he sounds like a guy who realizes it's time to grow up. I think Meriweather should have more impact than Polamalu did and just think how much he bettered an already solid defense in Pittsburgh when he was a rookie.

Defensive Rookie of the Year? Brandon Meriweather. Coming from a big-time school, with big-time pressure, Meriweather, like most of the top Miami draftees, should adjust quickly to the NFL. Setting the solo tackle record for safeties is really saying something at a school which churns out productive NFL DBs (he was only a 2 year starter). He flies to the ball with playing speed that is even more impressive than his 4.47 40. He loves to hit and is willing to take on bigger players. He's a real team guy - he played both corners and safety this year due to injuries to other players, despite knowing this could affect his draft status. He displays natural talent with his back turned to the action and facing the QB - imagine a great cover safety that can and will hit like a Strong Safety. Meriweather's smart and diagnoses the play quickly, reacts decisively. I love the way he plays, all the technical assessments aside.

He certainly lost his head during the stomping debacle and the returning fire thing is pretty strange, I'll admit. But he sounds like a guy who realizes it's time to grow up. I think Meriweather should have more impact than Polamalu did and just think how much he bettered an already solid defense in Pittsburgh when he was a rookie.

I'm probably one of the biggest Meriweather fans on here, so you are basically just saying all the same things I've been saying about him. I really want NE to pick him, but as I have said I don't expect them to. Also, if you talk about him on message boards you'll get people jumping down your throat saying he's a thug, so I don't bother talking about him to much, anymore. Let's just say if they pick him I'll be very happy, but I'm not putting him in my Patriots mock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back