PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Vrabel is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SPECULATION: Vrable is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

stop the insanity please! :rolleyes:

btw #3 overall is equivalent to TWO mid 1st round picks

Cassel had ZERO college starting experience and only one year of experience in the NFL. 66% of you wanted him released 6 months ago and now you want TWO 1st round picks??

I think you should take your own advice. ;)

College experience means nothing at this point and that should be common sense. The guy played in 16 games and won 11 of them, he progressively got better throughout the season. In his final seven games he had 14 TD's to 4 picks. He threw for over 3600 yards and completed 64% of his passes. IN THE NFL!!!

F*** college! Rick Mirer was great in college, Ryan Leaf was great in college, Alex Smith was very good in colleg :blahblah:. Did any of them ever put up those stats in the NFL? :confused:

Last edited:
Patriots new defense:

Warren-Wilfork-Seymour
Thomas-Curry-Mayo-Peppers

I'm in heaven!! :D:p:D

Crazy idea, but fun to think about!

I'll say this: the laundry guys for the opposing team would NOT be happy.

I'll say this: the laundry guys for the opposing team would NOT be happy.
Especially if they played on grass. :D

Last edited:
Ok let's continue with the wild speculation here.

Patriots new defense:

Warren-Wilfork-Seymour

| insert derogatory comment about the Patriot's pass defense here |

Hey if the Pats get two 1st round picks for Cassel then I'll apologize and admit I was dead wrong, but I'm telling you it won't happen!

One thing's for sure, if they're trying to do a three way deal where the basics are :

NE gets Peppers
KC gets Cassel
Car gets #3

with Vrabel and other picks also chaning hands, it makes sense that they would need time to get the trade worked out in addition to long term contracts for both Peppers and Cassel. Logically the concept of that trade and the need to move Vrabel before tomrrow seem to fit.

| insert derogatory comment about the Patriot's pass defense here |

I don't think the Pats secondary would need to do that much work with that kind of front 7 in front of them! Besides the Pats can sign Bodden and draft a safety in round 2 to finish the retooling of the D. That would be a pretty sick defense!

Re: SPECULATION: Vrable is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

In theory, the difference between #3 and #23 is equal to a first-rounder (at least according to the Blessed Value Chart of St. James).

In any case, though, also note that the trade rumor the OP referenced also had the Pats flip-flopping other picks with the Chiefs, as well (e.g., 47 for 34, etc.).

Right, but I think that chart is outdated due to the rookie salary structure. The amount of money required to sign a top 5 pick has seriously weekend the overall value of the picks.

I'm still shocked by Vrabel so pardon me if I seem grumpy. :D

hmmm. Cassel and Vrabel for the no.3 pick. that doesn't sound like Pioli.

Cassel, Vrabel, and SD's 2nd round pick for their 1st (no.3)....now THAT would be a good trade, for both teams. We'd pick 3rd and 23rd, and still have a late 2nd rounder. I think you could get Peppers for that 23rd and our remaining 2nd round pick, and that would be a sick defense. might be a little thin on WRs with gaff leaving town but beyond that...wow, there's really no holes there, provided wheatley and wilhite get it together.

boy i'm excited. i hope this happens.... both teams would bet better with this move.

One thing's for sure, if they're trying to do a three way deal where the basics are :

NE gets Peppers
KC gets Cassel
Car gets #3

with Vrabel and other picks also chaning hands, it makes sense that they would need time to get the trade worked out in addition to long term contracts for both Peppers and Cassel. Logically the concept of that trade and the need to move Vrabel before tomrrow seem to fit.

I would have thought you were mental a week ago, but I actually think you might be right on.

Holy friggin' retooling of the defense. Would almost eliminate drafting based on need. I HATE that I have to work tonight!

Pats trade Cassel + Vrabel to Chiefs -- Receive KC's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Pats draft Aaron Curry #3.

Pats trade #23 pick plus Chiefs 3rd round pick to Carolina for Julius Peppers.

Patriots new defense:

Warren-Wilfork-Seymour

sounds good but aint gonna happen.

It need not be technically a three way.

We can have two deals one with KC and then a second with Carolina (that is already agreed to subject to us securing the 33).

If Cassel is worth a mid first and a mid second or third, then he is also worth about a #8-10 pick in this draft. #23 plus the #8-10 are approximately right for the #3. A later swap could make the deal right. Vrabel gives the deal a couple of more moving parts and makes it easier to accomplish with KC.

hmmm. Cassel and Vrabel for the no.3 pick. that doesn't sound like Pioli.
Other draft picks could be involved too. Heck, the original thing here has us giving up our #1 for KCs #3. That would be Cassel and our #1 for Peppers. KC would then be getting Cassel, Vrabel and #23 for #3 and their third. Who knows what would actually be involved but the big three pieces seem to fit.

NE gets Peppers
KC gets Cassel
Car gets #3

Hmmm didn't I post this very scenario earlier! :D Of course I had the Pats throwing in some picks because I don't value Cassel quite as highly as the majority here do.

Right, but I think that chart is outdated due to the rookie salary structure. The amount of money required to sign a top 5 pick has seriously weekend the overall value of the picks.

Got it so you'll just make up your own value and throw logic out the window. ;)

You greatly undervalue Peppers. I think you get either Curry (if he there at 3) or Peppers with the 3rd pick in the draft.

Pats trade Cassel + Vrabel to Chiefs -- Receive KC's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Pats draft Aaron Curry #3.

Pats trade #23 pick plus Chiefs 3rd round pick to Carolina for Julius Peppers.

Patriots new defense:

Warren-Wilfork-Seymour

Hmmm didn't I post this very scenario earlier! :D Of course I had the Pats throwing in some picks because I don't value Cassel quite as highly as the majority here do.
Hell if I know, today is a blur :D It does seem to fit, though.

The thread is useless but thanks for the link. The guy who posted this is citing regular (old) news rumors from various different people as the source of his speculation.

Nothing to see here.

You greatly undervalue Peppers. I think you get either Curry (if he there at 3) or Peppers with the 3rd pick in the draft.

As a 4-3 DE, I completely agree. As a 3-4 LB, hes too risky to throw the 3rd overall at.

I don't think I greatly undervalued Peppers. Look what it cost to acquire Jared Allen - a dominant 26 year old passrusher.

As you probably are aware, 26-year-old all-pro defensive end Jared Allen was just traded from the Chiefs to the Vikings in exchange for the 17th, 73rd, and 82nd picks in the upcoming draft.
Pro-football-reference.com blog Assessing the Jared Allen trade

The Pats #23 pick and KC's high 3rd round pick sounds pretty fair compensation when you consider that Peppers is 29 and has more wear on the tires. Sure maybe we can kick in an extra 4th round pick, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for the Pats to acquire Curry AND Peppers if they really wanted to. Again, this is speculation though. :) It's still pretty fun to imagine!

Last edited:
As a 4-3 DE, I completely agree. As a 3-4 LB, hes too risky to throw the 3rd overall at.

Do you know how athletic Peppers is? You can't think of him as your typical 4-3 DE, because he isnt. The dude is a freak. He had a pretty stellar BB career at UNC as well. Good enough that he could have played in the NBA if he so chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST