PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Vrabel is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is coming from a source on Footballguys.com messageboard. Staff member there has an inside source with the Pats and occasionally will post good, solid info that is more often right than wrong:

Mike Vrabel traded to the Chiefs - Footballguys Forums

He says he is hearing buzz the Vrable move is part of bigger deal involving Cassel and Pats #1 which will potentially send back a 1st & 3rd to NE, with the teams also flip-flopping in a few other rounds to even out value.

Take it FWIW, but I wouldn't post this if I thought it was garbage. This guy (David Yudkin) has been spot on in lots of areas before and can be counted on for the occasional insider tid bit.

Again this is all SPECULATION, but it's a decent source.

Last edited:
Re: SPECULATION: Vrable is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

thanx for info...so we do get 3rd overall according to that, as well as KC's 3rd, and lose our first....

also lose vrabel, and cassel.....seems pretty good, we have to find a way to move down and get 2 1st rd picks though

Re: SPECULATION: Vrable is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Vrabel, Cassel, #23 for #3 and KC's 3rd seems like a LOT for the Patriots to give up frankly. I would be shocked if those were the actual components of a trade.

Vrabel, Cassel, #23 for #3 and KC's 3rd seems like a LOT for the Patriots to give up frankly. I would be shocked if those were the actual components of a trade.

If that were true, do you think they'd be banking on Curry?

that would be a totally foolish trade. i could see one of the second rounders but to not have two first rounders would be foolish. and then you have the top two teams with leverage over you knowing you want curry

Yeah, it does sound a bit fishy. But we shall see.

Anyone in the Boston area see MFC today, BTW?

If that were true, do you think they'd be banking on Curry?

Sure seems like it, but still seems like an awful lot to give up for an unproven rookie (though he likely is going to be a great player). Additionally at this point there is no guarantee that Curry is going to be there at #3, so if there is such a deal going down it'd likely be a draft day trade.

I could see the Patriots doing Vrabel, Cassel, and a 2nd/3rd for Kc's #3 maybe. I just can't imagine the Patriots giving up their 1st in such a deal. But what do I know :p

Meanwhile, I've been hearing that the Vrabel deal is for "an" undiscolsed draft choice from 2009. A single pick. So who knows what the Hell is going on? ;)

Meanwhile, I've been hearing that the Vrabel deal is for "an" undiscolsed draft choice from 2009. A single pick. So who knows what the Hell is going on? ;)

Same. I'm thinking a 3rd. I think this is as muhc about making cap space (maybe signing bodden?) as it is about the picks.

that would be a totally foolish trade. i could see one of the second rounders but to not have two first rounders would be foolish. and then you have the top two teams with leverage over you knowing you want curry

I disagree. I'm not sure what value you guys think Vrabel has, in terms of trade. I love the guy, he has VALUE for sure, but what are you expecting for him if it were just a one-for-one, not part of a larger Cassel deal?

The #3 overall brings great value, especially with Curry possibly there.

I second this opinion. In addition to not adding up "on paper" by my quick estimate (having learned to undervalue the top few picks because of their huge salaries), the practice of trading away fan favorites and franchise stalwarts is really a difficult process to undergo as fans of a team. Add in the element that KC has Pioli, 1/2 of our old super tandem who used to get the best of other teams when making deals (by a long shot in some cases), and I'm extraordinarily unenthusiastic about this. Hopefully it'll turn into an improved on field product, only time will tell.

there is no way this is true.

if belichick agrees to give up our FIRST ROUND PICK, CASSEL, AND VRABEL for the no. 3 spot in the draft....we're going to be missing pioli a lot more than i thought. sure, we'd get a stud out of it, but i'd WAY rather just get detroit's other 1st straight up.

oh i hope they didn't go and do something stupid for the 3rd pick in the draft...

i don't see it, no way Bill trades for # 3 pick for that, he didn't even like being in the 7th last year.

there is no way this is true.

if belichick agrees to give up our FIRST ROUND PICK, CASSEL, AND VRABEL for the no. 3 spot in the draft....we're going to be missing pioli a lot more than i thought. sure, we'd get a stud out of it, but i'd WAY rather just get detroit's other 1st straight up.

oh i hope they didn't go and do something stupid for the 3rd pick in the draft...

Let's just hold on for a moment here. All that has happened so far is Vrabel-for-undisclosed draft pick.

Anything else we'll find out about when the time comes.

Who knows if Curry will even be there at No. 3. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he went No. 1.

maybe the pats and chiefs have 2 possibilities worked out......

a scenario involving curry at #3 and an alternative deal invloving their other first rounder for cassel and whatever else needs to be thrown in to make it even

or BB and pioli will just snowball the deals and make them so big that nobody will be able to figure out who got the better of it........

I disagree. I'm not sure what value you guys think Vrabel has, in terms of trade. I love the guy, he has VALUE for sure, but what are you expecting for him if it were just a one-for-one, not part of a larger Cassel deal?

The #3 overall brings great value, especially with Curry possibly there.

i'm talking the cassel part of it.

if this is is for the vrabel trade i'm fine with it.

after you trade cassel you should have two first rounders at the end of the day

I don't think the Pats would see any value in the #3 pick.

Let's try to piece some of this together.

PROPOSAL A
Cassel and #23 for KC's #1 (the third pick in the draft)
We've been talking about this for weeks. Some have been on both sides of whether this deal is fair.

PROPOSAL B
Vrabel for KC's #3
Some today have suggested that a 4th would be fair.

PUT IT ALL TOGETHER NOW
PROPOSAL AB
Cassel and Vrabel and NE's 1st for KC's 1st and 3rd
====================================
DOES THIS WORK?
Perhaps not. Perhaps more negotiations need to take place. Maybe another couple of elements are needed: swaps of places in a round or picks.

How close is it? Add a second round swap and this a no-brainer for us. We should take it. Add a conditional 2010 pick and we should take it. Maybe we would be willing to take it as is.

I don't think the Pats would see any value in the #3 pick.

That's ludicrous. People go way too far with this nonsense. (Unless you're joking.)

There are massive cap hits that go with a top 3 pick, but the idea that we'd prefer to pick 23rd overall is silly. Hopefully we'll do both. We could even trade out of #3 if we wanted to - just might not be able to get "chart-value," which I think BB doesn't much care about.

Also, if Aaron curry is there, he's worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes