PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Vrabel is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since this is mere speculation. I can see this as a deal where KC gets Cassell, Vrabel, and the Pats #1. The Pats get KC's #1 KC's #3 and they swap spots in the 2nd and 4th rounds.

Then on Draft day the Pats trade the #3 pick down to around #10 (a much more financially reasonable spot) and pick up an additional 2nd and 3rd.

In this scenerio, picking around the 10th pick the Pats are more likely to pick up a guy that would either start or play a significant role on defense at LB or DB. Then they would have the #3 pick in the second round to go along with SD's 2nd and another mid to low end 2nd from their trading partner in the first round. That gives them 3 picks in the 2nd, and history tells us that at least 2 of those 3 players will become productive starters within 2 years.

BTW- if its just Vrabel for the #3 pick in the 3rd round, I'd be just as happy. Last season we won 11 games with Pierre Woods and Vrabel as our principal OLBs. We aren't going to be any worse with Thomas and Woods as our principle OLBs this year.

I don't think I greatly undervalued Peppers. Look what it cost to acquire Jared Allen - a dominant 26 year old passrusher.

And Jared Allen didn't have to change positions.

I know Peppers is a freak, but we're also talking about learning coverage responsibilities, etc. I'm sure he'll be a great Pass Rusher with his hand down, its the other stuff that may take time.

he's also just about to enter the 2nd half of his career.

Re: SPECULATION: Vrable is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

If that were true, do you think they'd be banking on Curry?

If Curry weren't there, I'd flip out.

J. Smith would be a good consolation, but I want Curry, and any trade to get up that high and fork over that kind of $$, I'd want to know for sure I'd be getting my main target - which has to be Curry.

Hmm. It's not nearly as good a deal for the Pats, but I wonder about a scenario like this:

Cassel for KC's #1
KC's #1 is traded for somebody else's #1 this year and another pick next (3rd overall should be worth it)
NE's two #1s are franchise compensation for Peppers

KC gets Cassel, NE gets Peppers and no obligation to pay a 1st round pick this year and gains a pick next year, and Carolina gets all kinds of draft picks to play with.

Like I said, not nearly as good a deal, but might be more realistic since Carolina wouldn't get a say in the matter...?

Last edited:
Like I said, not nearly as good a deal, but might be more realistic since Carolina wouldn't get a say in the matter...?

Technically Carolina get rights of first refusal on the Pats tender to Peppers. If they chose to pass, then they get the picks. In reality they would take the picks and not even think about matching.

Ok let's continue with the wild speculation here.

Pats trade Cassel + Vrabel to Chiefs -- Receive KC's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Pats draft Aaron Curry #3.

Pats trade #23 pick plus Chiefs 3rd round pick to Carolina for Julius Peppers.

Patriots new defense:

Warren-Wilfork-Seymour
Thomas-Curry-Mayo-Peppers

I'm in heaven!! :D:p:D

Crazy idea, but fun to think about!

And they would still have 2 second rounders ( own and SD) and 2 third rounders... (own/Samuel)

BTW- if its just Vrabel for the #3 pick in the 3rd round, I'd be just as happy. Last season we won 11 games with Pierre Woods and Vrabel as our principal OLBs. We aren't going to be any worse with Thomas and Woods as our principle OLBs this year.

Thats inaccurate Thomas and Vrabel were the OLBs to start and Colvin was there at the end. There were a few games of Woods Vrabel though 4-6 games.

Last edited:
The thread is useless but thanks for the link. The guy who posted this is citing regular (old) news rumors from various different people as the source of his speculation.

Nothing to see here.

Yeah, after I posted this, he sort of backed off his "speculation" stance saying it was more his own personal speculation vs. speculation from his source(s). That's not how it came across (IMO) following his initial post; if it had, I wouldn't have bothered posting it. :\

Cassel for KC's #1
KC's #1 is traded for somebody else's #1 this year and another pick next (3rd overall should be worth it)
NE's two #1s are franchise compensation for Peppers

Miguel might know this better than I--since I don't think it's explicitly laid out in the CBA--but I believe the rule is that it must be your own first in 2009 and a first in 2010. (If you traded away your own, but have a higher one, then you can use that one, but you can't use a lower pick than your own.)

Yeah, after I posted this, he sort of backed off his "speculation" stance saying it was more his own personal speculation vs. speculation from his source(s). That's not how it came across (IMO) following his initial post; if it had, I wouldn't have bothered posting it. :\

It's all good. i've read this guys stuff before. He just comes off as a more popular version of the infamous NEINSIDER to me. ;)

Re: SPECULATION: Vrable is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Maybe they would ship the #3 to Carolina for Peppers and a mid round pick.
I have been saying that for two weeks including a mock draft and I was roasted, Careful.
DW Toys

Giving up a stalwart outside linebacker like Vrabel, without anyone on the roster to replace him, means we are definitely eyeing an OLB in the draft (Curry) or trade (Peppers)

Since it's uncertain if Curry will be there at #3 overall, I think they have a deal in place that if Curry is still on the board, that the Pats move up to #3 and grab Curry, unload Cassel, and exchange a bunch of picks with KC as well.

It's all good. i've read this guys stuff before. He just comes off as a more popular version of the infamous NEINSIDER to me. ;)

His in-season injury status reports are much more reliable. He had Maroney to IR days before it happened and generally was on top of the health of the NE RBs all season.

Since it's uncertain if Curry will be there at #3 overall, I think they have a deal in place that if Curry is still on the board, that the Pats move up to #3 and grab Curry, unload Cassel, and exchange a bunch of picks with KC as well.

...and if he ISN'T there?
scared.gif

If I were either side in the Cassel sweepstakes, I'd want certainty well before draft day.

Curry could go to the Lions, then we're left in no-mans land.

We either take the best available player, or drop down, but how many teams would want to trade up and give away a good amount of picks?

Jason Smith wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

...and if he ISN'T there?
scared.gif

If I were either side in the Cassel sweepstakes, I'd want certainty well before draft day.

Curry could go to the Lions, then we're left in no-mans land.

We either take the best available player, or drop down, but how many teams would want to trade up and give away a good amount of picks?

You take the left tackle and feel just fine about the pick.

Personally, I like Raji the best of all of them. But Curry would be the obvious choice.

This is just pure speculation, and is going nowhere. It will be interesting to se how things unfold though - this makes 2007 look almost tame in comparison.

You take the left tackle and feel just fine about the pick.

Totally agree, if we're talking an immediate trade for the #3. But I was responding to suggestions that it would be a draft-day deal conditional on Curry's availability, which strikes me as unacceptably unsettled for both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case