PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Vrabel is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 years at less than $30M makes no sense for Cassel. The very least he should command is a Romo/Garrard/Rogers kind of long term deal, around $10/year. Plus a 4 year deal seems unlikely. I wouldn't believe it until I found some clear confirmation.

I looked at the Fox 13 website and they had nothing on their about Cassel. Sounds like BS.

Although the contract numbers kind of indicate that on there own.

It would have been sweet. The Bucs look to be in rebuilding mode, but they could shave a year or two off that with Cassel under center as opposed to whatever they have now or whatever is available in the draft.

There is a thread on ESPN about Cassel to TB.

Man, Cassel would have to be pretty nuts to accept 4 years 30 mil, but I guess it depends on the performance incentives.

Last edited:
Hi guys I rarely come on here, but I have missed the banter!!. Im from the UK. Im currently staying up praying some more details will come up about the trade.

I love the Patriots, but I think this series of trades will show whether the good solid trading of the last 10 years has been due to management thats now left or just general ethics within the team.

In England, my local soccer team is Reading FC, Bobby Convey played for us aswell as Marcus Hanamman. We are famous for doing business very well. Often buying for 35k and selling for 3.5m. I like the fact Pats do the NFL version of this.

However Im very sad to see Vrabel leave. I know you don't have to sign your picks, but if we get many more picks this year we might have too many?.

I do hope the Bucs deal goes through, but MC has been linked with half the league.

One thing I can never understand , its been said so much its almost cliche, is why is Matt Stanford's prospective picker not trading us for MC? O well.

Love the signing of Taylor. We going to cut Jordan? Im guessing Ben Jarvis has got to go. You can't have 5 , 4 is OK(a la 2008)

Kind regards guys.

Ben

Hi guys I rarely come on here, but I have missed the banter!!. Im from the UK. Im currently staying up praying some more details will come up about the trade.

I love the Patriots, but I think this series of trades will show whether the good solid trading of the last 10 years has been due to management thats now left or just general ethics within the team.

In England, my local soccer team is Reading FC, Bobby Convey played for us aswell as Marcus Hanamman. We are famous for doing business very well. Often buying for 35k and selling for 3.5m. I like the fact Pats do the NFL version of this.

However Im very sad to see Vrabel leave. I know you don't have to sign your picks, but if we get many more picks this year we might have too many?.

I do hope the Bucs deal goes through, but MC has been linked with half the league.

One thing I can never understand , its been said so much its almost cliche, is why is Matt Stanford's prospective picker not trading us for MC? O well.

Love the signing of Taylor. We going to cut Jordan? Im guessing Ben Jarvis has got to go. You can't have 5 , 4 is OK(a la 2008)

Kind regards guys.

Ben

Hey there. Jordan's a free agent, so cutting him isn't really an issue. With Maroney back, we go 6 deep at RB with Taylor:

Taylor
Maroney
Morris
Faulk
Evans
BJGE

Seems to me that you're probably right about Green-Ellis not making the squad, in that case. As for why people aren't lining up to trade the first rounder to the Pats rather than use it on Stafford... your guess is as good as mine. Doesn't make much sense.

Hey there. Jordan's a free agent, so cutting him isn't really an issue. With Maroney back, we go 6 deep at RB with Taylor:

Taylor
Maroney
Morris
Faulk
Evans
BJGE

Seems to me that you're probably right about Green-Ellis not making the squad, in that case. As for why people aren't lining up to trade the first rounder to the Pats rather than use it on Stafford... your guess is as good as mine. Doesn't make much sense.

Evans is a free agent.

Sorry I sort of saw Evans as a FB. How I forgot Fearless Faulk, shame on me :p.

Well yeah. I mean Mayo was a great pick last year. stunning one infact. Surely Peppers is one of those guys who will bust our cap?

Ben

A little surprised at the Vrabel trade tbh, not because it doesn't make sense, just wasn't really expecting it right now.

What I don't get is that I think Vrabel has a lot more value to the Patriots than he does to the Chiefs.

Sorry I sort of saw Evans as a FB. How I forgot Fearless Faulk, shame on me :p.

Well yeah. I mean Mayo was a great pick last year. stunning one infact. Surely Peppers is one of those guys who will bust our cap?

Ben

Hahaha, I pretty much see him the same way- not quite a FB, but the closest we have to one. I'm not as psyched about the idea of Peppers as a lot of others here seem to be for the same reason that you're not: I wouldn't want to pay $12M+ per year to a 4-3 DE in hopes that he could convert. If the Pats do make the trade, I won't have a problem with it, since I have faith in Belichick, but I'd be kind of surprised if it happened, personally.

What I don't get is that I think Vrabel has a lot more value to the Patriots than he does to the Chiefs.

How so? If last year was any indication, I think the opposite it true.

There is more talk that this is a larger part of a KC deal...and somehow that Vrabel was part of the deal...came out...MAYBE it was not supposed to be announced..and someone leaked it..tried to throw a monkey wrench into it..and then the media is running with it...MORE time goes on with no solid info..the more it seems like something a PART of a deal with Cassel.. and something like this could be so dependent on who might be available at 3...or??? I mean who knows!! SP and BB might have a whole bunch of contingencies planned... I wonder if this was done quickly so that they could get SOME money off the cap or??? Even though if THAT was the case..it might be opposite of a larger deal that was leaked...just thinking how this came out and...seems like part of something BIG!!

I think we will get a possible 4th for Vrabel , maybe thats even optomistic. In all seriousness though. Peppers great player, don't like him because of £ sorry! $!!!. However I like him alot more than I did 6 hours ago!.

Jets going to get Scott!!!, thats not good news. He is a good player, one we should be looking at now.

I quite like the NFL Mock 1.0 draft, the safety we have looks quite good. Like this time last year, secondary is main concern.

Ben

This is coming from a source on Footballguys.com messageboard. Staff member there has an inside source with the Pats and occasionally will post good, solid info that is more often right than wrong:

Mike Vrabel traded to the Chiefs - Footballguys Forums

He says he is hearing buzz the Vrable move is part of bigger deal involving Cassel and Pats #1 which will potentially send back a 1st & 3rd to NE, with the teams also flip-flopping in a few other rounds to even out value.

Take it FWIW, but I wouldn't post this if I thought it was garbage. This guy (David Yudkin) has been spot on in lots of areas before and can be counted on for the occasional insider tid bit.

Again this is all SPECULATION, but it's a decent source.

unless the take on Cassel's value is a lot lower than I think it is, giving up Vrabel, Cassel and #23 for a #3 and a Third Rounder doesn't seem like enough to me...

What I find odd is that Vrabel was already in KC today.. so this has had to been in the works for awhile.. I would assume. what do you guys think?

Id much rather have this "Buc's offer"- I don't think this excists, in England Ronaldo has been sold to Real Madrid about 50 times in the media.

I'd like to see us have a pick in round 1 for MC and still have ours!!

Ben

News flash their last coach was Herman Edwards, Vrabel is a leader on and off the field, obviously Pioli wants to set the tone, that's invaluable. THey took a ton of young players last year in the draft this is a wise move, given the right compensation it could be good for all parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back