PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Vrabel is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassel and #23 for a #3 and a Third Rounder doesn't seem like enough to me...

Seeing how we picked cassel with a very low draft pick, and vrabel was a steelers throw away that we scavenged, trading both of them away for the 3rd overall pick and a 3rd round pick is pretty awesome.

what do you view as good compensation. I see a 4th round as "good" :)
As a minimum it's okay, I'd prefer a conditional 2010 pick that could be at least a third, preferably a second, based on performance.

Seeing how we picked cassel with a very low draft pick, and vrabel was a steelers throw away that we scavenged, trading both of them away for the 3rd overall pick and a 3rd round pick is pretty awesome.

I can see how one might feel this way, but it doesn't really make sense. Brady was a 6th round pick, if you traded him straight up for a first rounder that would be a good deal by this logic --- and clearly that would be a ridiculously bad deal for us.

I can see how one might feel this way, but it doesn't really make sense. Brady was a 6th round pick, if you traded him straight up for a first rounder that would be a good deal by this logic --- and clearly that would be a ridiculously bad deal for us.

If Cassel goes on to win superbowls and put up career stats like Brady, then yeah the patriots probally got fleeced.

What I find odd is that Vrabel was already in KC today.. so this has had to been in the works for awhile.. I would assume. what do you guys think?

Well, IIRC, Vrabel never moved to New England; his family's still near Columbus.

As a minimum it's okay, I'd prefer a conditional 2010 pick that could be at least a third, preferably a second, based on performance.

Yeah, anything less than a 4th would bug me, and I'd like to see it be a conditional pick as well.

Well, IIRC, Vrabel never moved to New England; his family's still near Columbus.

I believe they lived in Easton during the season but still make their permanent home in Ohio.

You should post less and read more. Serious advice!

The fact they havent given the details of the pick does seem like something else may be in the works and from all accounts Foxboro is locked down and no one is talking ...

I wonder whether this may be something like Cassel+Vrabel for KC's 2nd and Gonzalez? Hence why we were happy to let Gaffney go? I just dont see Pioli dealing the 1st for Cassel and if I were BB id love to have the #34. Gives us so much leverage in what is a deep draft

Whatever if this doesnt happen today I dont think it happens at all ...

The fact they havent given the details of the pick does seem like something else may be in the works and from all accounts Foxboro is locked down and no one is talking ...

I wonder whether this may be something like Cassel+Vrabel for KC's 2nd and Gonzalez? Hence why we were happy to let Gaffney go? I just dont see Pioli dealing the 1st for Cassel and if I were BB id love to have the #34. Gives us so much leverage in what is a deep draft

Do not see Gonsalves as the replacement for Gaffney, we already have 3 te's Baker, Watson and Thomas... the last two represent pretty good value.

A shocking contrast to the bastion of free speech and open sharing of ideas that is the modus operandi in Foxboro on any other day.

Why?? Is there a deadline or something?? I tend to think this was an under the radar move that someone leaked and MORE something that will be done in time rather than rushed now.. Don't see the big deal if it does not all come out today....
As for Gonzalez..not happening..not with the Baker signing

I would think that somehow there must be more to this. If Cassel is involved in the trade whyisn't he in KC getting a physical (Yesterday the NFL NEtwork was reporting that Vrabel was in KC for a physical)? My best guess is that Pioli is working on a contract extention for Cassel (and the Vrabel in KC thing was not suppose to come out) and that the trade is Vrable, Cassel, and #23 for #3 and #66. This makes sense because the only way they would part with Vrable, is if they knew they had his replacement and that would be Curry at #3.

for the moment let's really appreciate what Vrabel has done for the Patriots

surely one of the greatest players we had in this amazing run

thks Mike Vrabel and good luck !

for the rest i still have to see what we had in return before any further comment

Maybe it is all a smokescreen to motivate other teams in need of a starting QB to start bidding for Cassel? :)

Hence why we were happy to let Gaffney go?

What makes you think we were happy to let Gaffney go? He got 4 years 10 million. When he was a free agent last year we offerred and signed him for him 1 year 2 million. It was a likely nothing more than a business decision.

I would think that somehow there must be more to this. If Cassel is involved in the trade whyisn't he in KC getting a physical (Yesterday the NFL NEtwork was reporting that Vrabel was in KC for a physical)? My best guess is that Pioli is working on a contract extention for Cassel (and the Vrabel in KC thing was not suppose to come out) and that the trade is Vrable, Cassel, and #23 for #3 and #66. This makes sense because the only way they would part with Vrable, is if they knew they had his replacement and that would be Curry at #3.

This makes a ton of sense.. except not sure if I see the Pats hanging on to a #4 pick, unless Curry is a LT type.

Last edited:
This makes a ton of sense..

Except that they have no idea if Curry will be there at #3. They can read the tea leaves and make an educated guess, but that's very different from *knowing*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back