PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SPECULATION: Vrabel is part of bigger deal involving Cassel; from decent source

Status
Not open for further replies.
A shocking contrast to the bastion of free speech and open sharing of ideas that is the modus operandi in Foxboro on any other day.

LOL, well played.

This makes sense because the only way they would part with Vrable, is if they knew they had his replacement and that would be Curry at #3.

What makes you think that Curry would be there at #3 ? or for that matter why would BB assume that? He wouldn't, Curry could easily go to the Rams at #2, very easily. I don't think this has any correlation at all to being Vrabel's replacement at 3 with Curry.

I think SP told BB that he would do him a favor while they hammer out a contract between Dunn and Cassel and he told BB he would take Vrabel off the books to give the Pats the flexibility to sign guys during Day One of FA. This is why we've only heard of Vrabes and nothing else, it was all about freeing up cake for FA signings. While the Cassel contract/comp is being worked on.

Last edited:
As a minimum it's okay, I'd prefer a conditional 2010 pick that could be at least a third, preferably a second, based on performance.

Wow, I hope you're right, but I think you guys are setting yourselves up for pretty big disappointment. I love Vrabel and I love draft picks so I'm greedy, but even I think the reality is that he's 34 and likely to bring back a 4th AT BEST. Like I said, though, I prefer your theory!

Except that they have no idea if Curry will be there at #3. They can read the tea leaves and make an educated guess, but that's very different from *knowing*.

If Curry is not there at #3 it would mean that Stafford or one of the 2 top tackles is still there, either way, plenty of teams would be willing to trade up to #3 if that was the case.

The Lions NEED a QB, or OT and the Rams went DE last year with the #2 pick, I ca't see them going there again, especially with Pace at the end of his career.

Curry at #3 is a pretty safe bet.

The fact they havent given the details of the pick does seem like something else may be in the works and from all accounts Foxboro is locked down and no one is talking ...

I wonder whether this may be something like Cassel+Vrabel for KC's 2nd and Gonzalez? Hence why we were happy to let Gaffney go? I just dont see Pioli dealing the 1st for Cassel and if I were BB id love to have the #34. Gives us so much leverage in what is a deep draft

Whatever if this doesnt happen today I dont think it happens at all ...

I'd honestly be disappointed with that trade. I think you need a first rounder (25 or higher) and a 3rd for cassel whether one of the picks is next yr namely the 3rd. This should be the very least.

What makes you think that Curry would be there at #3 ? or for that matter why would BB assume that? He wouldn't, Curry could easily go to the Rams at #2, very easily. I don't think this has any correlation at all to being Vrabel's replacement at 3 with Curry.

I think SP told BB that he would do him a favor while they hammer out a contract between Dunn and Cassel and he told BB he would take Vrabel off the books to give the Pats the flexibility to sign guys during Day One of FA. This is why we've only heard of Vrabes and nothing else, it was all about freeing up cake for FA signings. While the Cassel contract/comp is being worked on.

It depends whether the guy replacing vrabel is better. A marginal upgrade would be disappointing. they need a legit upgrade to rush the passer

If Curry is not there at #3 it would mean that Stafford or one of the 2 top tackles is still there, either way, plenty of teams would be willing to trade up to #3 if that was the case.

The Lions NEED a QB, or OT and the Rams went DE last year with the #2 pick, I ca't see them going there again, especially with Pace at the end of his career.

detroit draft wr three years in a row, but then again they are detroit

Curry is considered the best overall player in the entire draft after the combine and just because the Rams drafted Chris Long last year doesn't automatically preclude them from drafting an impact player like Aaron Curry at all. BB would never, ever bank on a player being at a certain draft spot. He's not that presumptuous, he's too smart for that.

On another note, things are still cooking on the Cassel front, I wish I had a damn account into this Chiefs site.

Kansas City Chiefs NFL Football Front Page

I'd honestly be disappointed with that trade. I think you need a first rounder (25 or higher) and a 3rd for cassel whether one of the picks is next yr namely the 3rd. This should be the very least.

Well we'll see. I honestly think this assumption that it will be the #3 is wishful thinking and a lot of folks might be disappointed. Im going with #34 and if its higher then im delighted

I hope im wrong but Ive always thought he would go for a 2nd rounder 09 / conditional 2010

What IF: We are all full of it, and this trade "is what it is" Vrabel for a draft pick.

What do you think the pick is?

I can't imagine it being any better than KC's 4th rounder @#100, more likely a 5th rounder (which I could live with).

IF they traded Vrabel for KC's 3rd round pick, then Pioli is not as smart as we all think he is.

What IF: We are all full of it, and this trade "is what it is" Vrabel for a draft pick.

I can't imagine it being any better than KC's 4th rounder @#100, more likely a 5th rounder (which I could live with).

IF they traded Vrabel for KC's 3rd round pick, then Pioli is not as smart as we all think he is.

I agree. My best bet is a 4th or 5th, probably a 5th. Hope I'm wrong.

I think this is quite possible. As fans we tend to over-value our own players. Vrabel has definitely slowed and then there's that rumored shoulder problem. Disclaimers about BB's lack of sentimentality notwithstanding, this trade offers a way to get Vrabel off the roster without the humiliation or cutting him--and it keeps him from going to the Jets after being cut ;-).

Last edited:

I'm not sure I'd be saying that a 3rd was a bad sacrifice on Pioli's part if that were the case. After all, Vrabel must be going there to provide a lot more than just his actual game play. He'd be huge in helping that team transition to the 3-4, as well as teaching a bunch of beaten down losers the attitude and work ethic it takes to become winners in the NFL.

Wow, I hope you're right, but I think you guys are setting yourselves up for pretty big disappointment. I love Vrabel and I love draft picks so I'm greedy, but even I think the reality is that he's 34 and likely to bring back a 4th AT BEST. Like I said, though, I prefer your theory!
Vrabes has something in the tank, so I can see BB holding out for a conditional pick, probably no higher than a third, but that's where Vrabes was drafted in 1997. If all they got was the 2009 KC 4th round pick, well, it's the #2 pick in that round so it's almost a third - it would do. If they got a 5th or lower, well, Vrabes would have to bounce back to 2007 form to make that robbery.

Take it for what it is worth - The Official KC Chiefs website has no mention of the Vrabel trade at all yet. So makes me believe it is not finalized and compensation/other trades/pieces are in the works.

Vrabel and his family have lived in Eaton Mass for at least 8 years.

I did say "IIRC." :)

That said, Vrabel's repeatedly stated his desire to be a coach at The Ohio State University when he's done playing, and I think he still lives there in the offseason.

Take this with a grain of salt:

* Patriots.com no longer lists Vrabel on the roster page. :(

But . . .

* NFL.com's stats pages still list Vrabel as a Patriot.
* Chiefs.com makes no mention of the Vrabel trade at all.

Not saying the trade isn't going down, but I suspect it's not that simple, either.

Take it for what it is worth - The Official KC Chiefs website has no mention of the Vrabel trade at all yet. So makes me believe it is not finalized and compensation/other trades/pieces are in the works.

Here is my take on this for what it is worth. WHY HAVE VRABEL COME TO K.C. IMMEDIATELY TO TAKE A PHYSICAL IF WE ARE GETTING BACK JUST A PICK IN APRIL? CONTRACTS CAN BE VOIDED IF TRADES HAVE MEDICAL ISSUES ARISE. NO...THIS IS NOT THE CASE, HE HAD TO TAKE HIS PHYSICAL YESTERDAY TO ALLOW PART TWO OF THE TRADE TO PROCEED IMO. THEY KNOW HE HAD SHOULDER TROUBLE SO I AM SURE THAT WAS A CONCERN, BUT IF ANOTHER PIECE OF THIS WAS NOT PENDING, HE WOULD NOT HAVE HAD TO RUSH UP TO KC THE SAME HOUR HE WAS TRADED? DOESN'T THAT MAKE SENSE?
DW TOYS

Here is my take on this for what it is worth. WHY HAVE VRABEL COME TO K.C. IMMEDIATELY TO TAKE A PHYSICAL IF WE ARE GETTING BACK JUST A PICK IN APRIL? CONTRACTS CAN BE VOIDED IF TRADES HAVE MEDICAL ISSUES ARISE. NO...THIS IS NOT THE CASE, HE HAD TO TAKE HIS PHYSICAL YESTERDAY TO ALLOW PART TWO OF THE TRADE TO PROCEED IMO. THEY KNOW HE HAD SHOULDER TROUBLE SO I AM SURE THAT WAS A CONCERN, BUT IF ANOTHER PIECE OF THIS WAS NOT PENDING, HE WOULD NOT HAVE HAD TO RUSH UP TO KC THE SAME HOUR HE WAS TRADED? DOESN'T THAT MAKE SENSE?
DW TOYS

There was a roster bonus coming due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back