PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Rams RB Steven Jackson may be available - Can you say Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aßßynormal

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rams | Steven Jackson, Trent Richardson unlikely to share backfield
Mon, 16 Apr 2012 07:39:39 -0700

The St. Louis Rams would presumably either trade or release RB Steven Jackson if they select Alabama RB Trent Richardson in the NFL Draft. The team will not pay Jackson $7 million in 2012 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon. Head coach Jeff Fisher reportedly loves Richardson.

0 Comments | Source: SI.com - Peter King | Share: Share on Facebook

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

He can catch ........... AND he's on my fantasy team! LOL!.

Seriously, if he's willing to take a paycut (as opposed to being cut) he can give us a couple of years at 15 touches a game (Wow! in fourth quarter). One thing about Steven Jackson is he's a killer in December.

Back to Earth, again he'd have to take the pay cut ................. I can see the Jets targeting him :(. Finally, this ASSUMES the Rams draft Richardson.

Last edited:
Moot point. Richardson isn't falling to them.

Rams | Steven Jackson, Trent Richardson unlikely to share backfield
Mon, 16 Apr 2012 07:39:39 -0700

The St. Louis Rams would presumably either trade or release RB Steven Jackson if they select Alabama RB Trent Richardson in the NFL Draft. The team will not pay Jackson $7 million in 2012 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon. Head coach Jeff Fisher reportedly loves Richardson.

0 Comments | Source: SI.com - Peter King | Share: Share on Facebook

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

He can catch ........... AND he's on my fantasy team! LOL!.

Seriously, if he's willing to take a paycut (as opposed to being cut) he can give us a couple of years at 15 touches a game (Wow! in fourth quarter). One thing about Steven Jackson is he's a killer in December.

Back to Earth, again he'd have to take the pay cut ................. I can see the Jets targeting him :(. Finally, this ASSUMES the Rams draft Richardson.
If he's on your Fantasy Team, then you know he's one juke away from tearing his groin. He's still gonna want big money, I don't see him wanting to take a paycut, RB's don't have a lot of years to make big money, they got about one good contract after their rookie deal to cash in, don't see him taking a cut. Also I don't exactly see BB and Fisher making any deals.

Can't see this happening.

As good as Jackson is. He's hardly been used sparingly by the Rams..

I would say he's on the downward slope of his career.

Can't see this happening.

As good as Jackson is. He's hardly been used sparingly by the Rams..

I would say he's on the downward slope of his career.

Even if he's on the downward slope of his career I'd take a Steven Jackson wearing a blindfold with his shoes tied together over anything the Patriots currently have. The dude has more talent in one toe than Ridley, Vereen, and Woodhead combined.

I agree that he is on the down slope of his career, but I'm only looking for 15 touches, mostly in the second half against a slower defense.

I can't argue we should pay him big money, we should not. I think he's worth $3 million, with the ability to dump him if it doesn't work out in year two.

He's a Monster to tackle. His value in the Red Zone is clear.

We have traded with Tennessee (Jeff Fisher) before. I think we acquired their second round pick a couple of seasons ago.

Even if he's on the downward slope of his career I'd take a Steven Jackson wearing a blindfold with his shoes tied together over anything the Patriots currently have. The dude has more talent in one toe than Ridley, Vereen, and Woodhead combined.

You can see that talent alot when he's on the bench injured.

Jackson's only missed 13 games in his 8 year career, and he's a hell of a good running back. The problem is that he's likely going to be too expensive for the RBBC system the Patriots are running.

Now, if he's willing to play for the low end of the salary spectrum in order to get a real shot at a Super Bowl ring, he'd be a great addition to the team.

Given that you spelled your own user name wrong and this is your first post, you may want to retire, or start over again.

You can see that talent alot when he's on the bench injured.

Are you talking about Shane Vereen or Steven Jackson? Jackson has missed two games since 2009. He's played through injuries that would put most RBs on IR. The only time he hasn't surpassed 1000 yards was his rookie year. Yeah, that's right, the guy has ran for over 1,000 yards in seven straight seasons when his teams have literally nothing to play for.

At this point in his career, Steven Jackson is just a big name. Even if we did acquire him, we would not be acquiring the "highlight reel" that we are envisioning in your head. If we did acquire him, I'm sure it would be similar to our Fred Taylor acquisition. Good/serviceable in flashes, but not a game changer.

Pass.........

Unless he is willing to come in at Patriot favorable terms (which seems incredibly unlikely), I just don't even think he's worth pursing. Even at the low end of what he would command, I just don't see this as a legitimate option for us.

Last edited:
Are you talking about Shane Vereen or Steven Jackson? Jackson has missed two games since 2009. He's played through injuries that would put most RBs on IR. The only time he hasn't surpassed 1000 yards was his rookie year. Yeah, that's right, the guy has ran for over 1,000 yards in seven straight seasons when his teams have literally nothing to play for.

Are Shane Vereen and Steven Jackson Siamese twins?

For being such a difference maker, he really hasn't made that much of a difference....has he?

You do realize that even the worst NFL teams get 300 yards per game? Someone has to get some yards.

Jackson is a good player but for $7 million.....let someone else overpay.

Jackson is still a top 5 back in the NFL. Amazing the disrespect he's getting here. Guy is as complete a back there has been in the league since he's been around, can run catch and block, and is still only 29. Now, 7 mil is too much, but if he can be had for 3-4 mil, you have to do that.

Are Shane Vereen and Steven Jackson Siamese twins?

For being such a difference maker, he really hasn't made that much of a difference....has he?

You do realize that even the worst NFL teams get 300 yards per game? Someone has to get some yards.

Jackson is a good player but for $7 million.....let someone else overpay.

I think Jackson is a whale of a RB and I bet BB kicks the tires on him, but BB won't upset our delicate salary structure for him. So if he wants to play for us, and have a chance to win a ring, it will have to be on the cheap.

First, I don't see this happening for reasons several others have already posted.

However, I'm pretty sure Corey Dillon was on the down slope as well when we got him. Assuming Rams got Richardson, Jackson wanted to come here, Jackson was willing to renegotiate, Rams and Pats could agree to a trade, etc, etc... I think he would be a perfect fit.

But since the chances of all of the other prerequisites happening is about 1%, I'm not going to waste much time hoping for this.

First, I don't see this happening for reasons several others have already posted.

However, I'm pretty sure Corey Dillon was on the down slope as well when we got him. Assuming Rams got Richardson, Jackson wanted to come here, Jackson was willing to renegotiate, Rams and Pats could agree to a trade, etc, etc... I think he would be a perfect fit.

But since the chances of all of the other prerequisites happening is about 1%, I'm not going to waste much time hoping for this.

I think Dillon had about one season fewer touches in him than Jackson has now, and we really got 1 season of his best.
Jackson is dangerously close to the # of seasons and touches where many top RB endure a huge dropoff and/or injury issues. Some have had good season with a little more wear and tear than Jackson has but most see stark decline at this point.

The real question is would we get one top season followed by a couple of not what he used to be but servicable, or is servicable already here?

I read somewhere that the rams are trying to acquire the 4th overall pick, so it now makes sense why.

I think Dillon had about one season fewer touches in him than Jackson has now, and we really got 1 season of his best.
Jackson is dangerously close to the # of seasons and touches where many top RB endure a huge dropoff and/or injury issues. Some have had good season with a little more wear and tear than Jackson has but most see stark decline at this point.

The real question is would we get one top season followed by a couple of not what he used to be but servicable, or is servicable already here?

I think he'd have close to a career year here. He's been the only offense the Rams have had for the past few seasons, he'd be coming into the second most prolific passing attack in league history (yardage), that would surely open up some running lanes for him.

If there was a chance he came in at a discounted salary I think he'd thrive, however, I don't think a RB with his amount of touches is worth breaking the bank for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST