PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speaking of Peter King (idiot or not on this one?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavioKid

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about this from other sources besides King? And what would of it took to get the 5th pick? Probably the 7th (obviously) & the PATS 2nd rounder plus next years 2nd or 3rd rounder...too much in my opinion.

(From King in his weekly MMQB article today):

3. I think the Patriots really hoped Chris Long would be there at No. 5, Kansas City's pick, so they could try to wrangle him from the Chiefs for a draft choice. I also think the Chiefs loved him and would have had a decision to make -- more high picks, or the guy we really want?

Doesn't sound too unreasonable that King is right here (that the PATS wanted Long if there at 5)....However, I'm glad they got Mayo = fills a much bigger need & the guy can be a future (even better?) Adalis Thomas who can play everywhere (pass rusher / OLB / ILB) possibly..

Last edited by a moderator:
it's all speculation. He is very good at 'what if' article after everything was said and done.

Personally, I think they might have been interested. We know that the Chiefs called the Pats to see if they were interested in moving up.

Would they have done it? Who knows, but I can say that if I were in BB's shoes, and I really, really wanted Long (or Gholston, for that matter), if 2008 #7 and, say, 2009 3rd did the trick, I'd be all over that in a minute.

I would think that if the Pats loved Long as much as he is implying, then they would have been better off trying to get something done with Atlanta.

But it wouldn't have mattered anyway....

I do NOT think they wanted to shell out #3 or #5 money, nope, not even #7 money.

What they ended up doing added a draft choice and helped their cap position immensely.

I think we'll be all be very glad we did not go Long and added the Mayo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes