Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
From the Herald: Source: Aqib Talib wants top-of-the-market deal | Boston Herald

The Patriots know they have to crack open the safe if they’re going to keep cornerback Aqib Talib from hitting the open market next week.

Talib wants to be paid as a top-of-the-market corner in free agency, according to a source. Since the Dolphins signed Brent Grimes to a four-year, $32 million contract, including $16 million guaranteed, that baseline for this class of prized free agents has been established.

With that in mind, it seems unlikely the Patriots could keep Talib from free agency with an offer of anything short of Grimes’ neighborhood. It’s possible the Patriots wanted Talib for a less risky three-year deal, perhaps in the range of $7 million per year, but that’s well shy of Grimes’ mark. Since Talib has thoroughly enjoyed his season and a half with the Pats, he might take something of a discount, but it’s got to be close.

Conceivably, the Pats could still execute a three-year contract, but they’d need to get aggressive with guaranteed money. That’s the danger of such a deal, as Talib has dealt with cumbersome hip injuries throughout his career, including one that sidelined him for three games and hampered him for several more in 2013, and he has exited the past two AFC Championship Games after getting hurt. On the positive side, he didn’t require surgery this offseason, according to a source.

The Patriots have made Talib a priority since the end of the season, maintaining conversations with the 28-year-old’s camp and conducting a meeting during the scouting combine in Indianapolis. In that sense, the Pats have made their efforts to orchestrate an extension.

Would have to think that it's going to be somewhere north of what Grimes got from the Dolphins. It's good to see that they seem to be proactive about signing him, assuming the report is correct. I would have to think that any hold up would be guaranteed money, considering the lingering hip issues Talib has faced throughout his career and will no doubt face again in the future. I don't like that he didn't come back in during the AFCCG but, unless the team has other plans in mind or sees Ryan as more than just a capable nickel CB, I would have to think they know they need to do everything they can to bring him back. It will be interesting to hear the reports that come out on this in the coming days that give the numbers Talib is looking for. This report unfortunately does not.

Depends on what they mean by top of the market money. Does he want to be the highest paid CB (or close to it) of the available FA this year? Or does he want Revis money. I'm assuming it's the former, because if it's the latter, no thanks.

4 years at 8m with 16m guaranteed... that is right on the edge of me saying thanks but no thanks. I'm probably just soured by recent history, but that kind of money for a guy that hasn't been available in back to back AFCCG feels like it could be better spent.

I reserve the right to change my mind later.

Right, the deal that Grimes got seems about the edge of where I would be comfortable going with Talib as well. The guy has trouble staying on the field and playing at peak performance. Eight million seems like a lot of money to pay a guy that you cannot count on being there when the chips are down.

Would rather give that money to Michael Johnson.

The dilemma is that with Talib the Patriots have a good defensive backfield
and without him a lousy one. They could make up for this with a good pass rush but this is not their style.

If he would stay healthy all season I'd be ok with that. But if your gonna get hurt when we really need you I just don't think it's worth it.

Don't pay Talib, and BB can't play defense the same way. He'll return to the good ole LCB, RCB stuff with more zone coverage.....

Can't have Dennard or some rookie following the opposing teams #1 option all game long. But no, 9 million is too much for that, let him go!

Probably a good sign that his agent wishes to be an anonymous "source." Kraft already mentioned how much time he missed.

It's a negotiation [/Costanza]

and without him a lousy one. They could make up for this with a good pass rush but this is not their style.

I think the ideal scenarios for the Pats, in order, are:

1) They have Talib, and Talib is healthy when they need him. Defense is much better.

2) They don't have Talib, don't plan on having Talib, and use the cap space to shore up other areas of the defense. Defense is solid.

3) They have Talib on the books, but he's hurt, meaning his cap hit makes the rest of the team weaker. Defense is like last year.

There's no question he was a difference maker LAST year, because we were counting on him being there. If you build the team around not having him, you have a better chance of playing well in his absence.

Draft a CB or get one of the other guys in FA and spend the money on a pass rusher.

Don't pay Talib, and BB can't play defense the same way. He'll return to the good ole LCB, RCB stuff with more zone coverage.....

Can't have Dennard or some rookie following the opposing teams #1 option all game long. But no, 9 million is too much for that, let him go!

Right, pay Talib and then cry when he tweaks his hip and misses playoff games.

Draft a CB or get one of the other guys in FA and spend the money on a pass rusher.

A rookie CB will not perform to the level of a top 5, shutdown CB. Most likely, the rookie CB would get torched constantly if you had him covering the other teams #1 option.

Our secondary has been garbage since 2011 without Talib. It was garbage throughout 2011, the first half of 2012 without Talib, and the games Talib missed in 2013. I just don't understand why people want to let go of a top 5 CB in his prime.

Given Talib's unreliable hip, he has to grab all the coin he can now. The guy misses time after every pop to the hip. This is his time to cash in ....it's a BIZ

His hip may be worth some negotiating dollars but, for the record, he didn't miss any playoff time last year because of his hip.

His hip may be worth some negotiating dollars but, for the record, he didn't miss any playoff time last year because of his hip.

He also was not the same after injuring it.

The hip has got to be a concern being it's been a chronic issue.
They need to protect themselves in the contract language and also
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Bill is thinking or spoke with Schiano about Talib he might of gotten a warning or seen signs that once Talib is paid his motivation his game preperarion might tail off or maybe he's just shell shocked from the Hernandez incident.
You get this wrong it can really hurt you.
So if he doesn't show loyalty to the Patriots in taking a little less allowing protection for his injury issues if he doesn't play ball.
I'm cautious and I may let him walk and bring in 3 quality free
agents at the cost of one Talib.
I still say Michael Johnson Michael Johnson Michael Johnson that is all.

A rookie CB will not perform to the level of a top 5, shutdown CB. Most likely, the rookie CB would get torched constantly if you had him covering the other teams #1 option.

Our secondary has been garbage since 2011 without Talib. It was garbage throughout 2011, the first half of 2012 without Talib, and the games Talib missed in 2013. I just don't understand why people want to let go of a top 5 CB in his prime.

A pass rush can make a lot of CBs look good. Use that money on a DT/DE that can get to the QB.

Given Talib's unreliable hip, he has to grab all the coin he can now. The guy misses time after every pop to the hip. This is his time to cash in ....it's a BIZ

Absolutely, and I would never begrudge him that strategy. Due to his suspensions and injury issues, he's had to go year to year and hasn't hit his real payday yet (by NFL standards). He absolutely has the right to go for the biggest deal he can get before those problems take the wind out of his sails, and I encourage him to do so.

I'm just not convinced I want that deal to come from the Patriots.

Can't blame him for wanting that kind of money. He's a good CB who's sacrificed his body and now's his time to get paid. Whether NE is willing to give him money around or higher than what Grimes got remains to be seen. If they don't, CB obviously becomes a need whether via FA or draft, or both.

A pass rush can make a lot of CBs look good. Use that money on a DT/DE that can get to the QB.

Every piece of the defense has a radiating effect on the other pieces. A good DT draws double teams, which allows a good DE to rush the passer, which causes the ball to come out quicker, allowing CB's to be more aggressive in their coverage, which allows safeties to gamble a bit more. Conversely, a good CB can cause safety help to shift elsewhere, allowing coverage to be tighter, giving the DL more time to get to the QB.

My point is (and it's a round about way of agreeing with your post), is that there's more than one way to build a championship caliber defense. If Talib was more reliable, he'd be worth the money no question, and if the Patriots were solid in all other positions, I would say who cares what Talib makes. But since neither of those things are true, the debate begins on how best to add pieces to this defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back