PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sorry, but Deion was right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxbury Jay

Rookie
Reaction score
Take a deep breath people …

OK, it’s this simple: you say you're worth XXX$, your employer says you're not, then tells you to go and find somebody else that will pay you what you think you are worth. You find two suitors, meaning you are worth what you said you were worth, and your employer was wrong. Period.

Doesn't mean the employer is obligated to pay you that much - if the amount doesn't fit its budget - but it certainly doesn't mean you were out of line in asking for true market value.

Give the brotha a break. He played his heart out for every down he was here, and shined in each Super Bowl in which he played, helping the Patriots win titles. He is worth every nickel a team in the league is willing to pay him, and there is nothing wrong with him wanting to be paid that amount. The Patriots' offer was significantly less than what he will pocket from Seattle, and what idiot can criticize a man for wanting to be paid on a level commensurate with what others of his status earn?

Congratulations on the new contract Deion, and good luck. You brought much joy to Patriots’ fans and the true, decent fans wish you well. We’ll miss you.

Now, of course, if we see you in the playoffs, we’re going to lock E-Hobbs on your butt all over the field and have Rodney crunch numbers with you every time you come across the middle.

… now feel free to return to your regularly scheduled “We All Hate Deion Day."

Roxbury Jay said:

OK, it’s this simple: you say you're worth XXX$, your employer says you're not, then tells you to go and find somebody else that will pay you what you think you are worth. You find two suitors, meaning you are worth what you said you were worth, and your employer was wrong. Period.

LMAO because another team was willing to over pay a player, that makes the player right? Man that's some funny stuff! :p

Roxbury Jay said:

Doesn't mean the employer is obligated to pay you that much - if the amount doesn't fit its budget - but it certainly doesn't mean you were out of line in asking for true market value.

Give the brotha a break. He played his heart out for every down he was here, and shined in each Super Bowl in which he played, helping the Patriots win titles. He is worth every nickel a team in the league is willing to pay him, and there is nothing wrong with him wanting to be paid that amount. The Patriots' offer was significantly less than what he will pocket from Seattle, and what idiot can criticize a man for wanting to be paid on a level commensurate with what others of his status earn?

Congratulations on the new contract Deion, and good luck. You brought much joy to Patriots’ fans and the true, decent fans wish you well. We’ll miss you.

Now, of course, if we see you in the playoffs, we’re going to lock E-Hobbs on your butt all over the field and have Rodney crunch numbers with you every time you come across the middle.

The problem is in the NFL, there is no concrete true market value.

Each team determines what value player has to them.

Based on Deion's regular season production, size and history of durabilty, I will always question if he was really worth what he thought he was.

If he averages only 8-10 games a year over the next 6 years.....we made out like bandits.

Deion was not right. He was wrong. He was going to lose his grievances. BB just saw that getting someone to say he (BB) was "right" was not going to get his team anywhere. He was going to be stuck with a holdout receiver until Week 10 (whom he would not have wanted to play after that out of principal) whom he would then have to franchise or let go for nothing in free agency next year. The thing that made this happen was Seattle's woeful performance yesterday, which in turn made them up their offer to a 1st round pick, which is what I think BB wanted all along as a consolation prize (that and not having Deion go to a division rival). BB knew he wasn't getting Deion back after this debacle. He did the best he could and now he'll move on.

I guess he was right that he could get more money. Fine. Whatever. But I'm happier paying a low #1 a marginal amount for 5 years starting next year than paying Branch $6M for those same years. Hopefully we can move on the Grahams, Koppens and Samuels now that we know this money won't be going to Branch.

Read the Seattle board and see what they think of the trade/value - they agree with us.

R

Last edited:
Market Value - that's what the Redskins paid Deion Sanders in 2000.

Deion Branch is a good receiver, but health and durability have always been an issue with him. 2005 was the only season he remained healthy for all 16 games - and he didn't even break 1000 yards receiving.

Market Value? PT Barnum knew a little something about market value. ;)

I don't look at it from a POV of right vs. wrong - the Pats had to do what was in their best interests and so did Deion, which unfortunately led to his departure. If the Pats did anything wrong, it was misjudge Branch's loyalty to the organization. It was his intent to play elsewhere (either now or in 2007) the second after his initial offer was rejected. He and his agent knew there was a team that would pay more, there always is.

Branch didn't care about being a Patriot like Brady and Bruschi, he wanted to get paid.

No he wasn't. No one offered him #1 receiver money, no one even offered him Reggie Wayne money. He'll get 6 years at 39 million or so from Seattle, with probably too large of a signing bonus for what he's worth. The only difference in value between what the Pats offered and what anyone else did was that the Patriots wouldn't rip up the last year of his rookie contract.

Roxbury Jay said:

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that word. Could you explain?

And what makes you think that Graham, Koppen and Samuel have any interest in passing on free agency, and not finding out what they are worth. Put another way, why should any of the three believe that bb will give them a better deal now than any deal that they can get next year.

BelichickFan said:
I guess he was right that he could get more money. Fine. Whatever. But I'm happier paying a low #1 a marginal amount for 5 years starting next year than paying Branch $6M for those same years. Hopefully we can move on the Grahams, Koppens and Samuels now that we know this money won't be going to Branch.

favre isnt worth what hes getting paid :)

Roxbury Jay said:

Actually, the Patriots and Deion Branch were in complete agreement on his value, roughly 6-6.5 million a year, and they actually offered him that as an extension. The breakdown was in that he felt they were obliged to tear up his current contract to get 6 million in 2006 as well. That was a precedent the Pats weren't willing to set. That said though I hope he has a great year for Seattle, and they go 2-14.

Last edited:
Roxbury Jay said:

Well, I agree with you. I've left companies because other companies offered me more. At least once I regretted making that decision. Sometimes more money does not equate to being happier at work. But, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing Branch did. In the NFL your days are numbered. Millions a year is nice but, you will still have to live 30, 40 or more years with no income. And if you want to live the good life you have to get the money now. I'm glad the distraction is over. And I'm glad he didn't go to an AFCE team or Pitts or Indy. Good luck to him. Lets move on.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
why should any of the three believe that bb will give them a better deal now than any deal that they can get next year.

Why should we believe that BB will give them a deal this year or next?

Roxbury Jay said:

I'm sorry but this is a bull**** thread.... What you're saying is that it's ok to violate a contract! He signed a contract that paid him a salary for 5 years. He decided to take matters into his own hands and break the contract by not showing up for work!

Look, I'm disappointed and sorry that he is gone but, this is in no way the Patriots fault! Take a look at Bethal Johnson, he signed a contract, he didn't live up to his potential for what they gave him, did/could the Pats refuse to pay him?

So, stick this thread you know where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had an employment contract...

and you were offered more money from another employer despite having a year left on your current employment contract,
your only option would be to try to negotiate a new employment contract for higher money with the current employer if they are willing to raise you immediately - which is what Deion wanted -
or wait until the current contract is fulfilled to get the big money - which is what the Pats wanted.

He couldn't wait for the current contract to end to cash in and wouldn't honor the contract he signed.

That's not right - that's called buyers remorse and greed.

Roxbury Jay said:

I agree with the title of your thread. You and your post are pretty sorry.

Roxbury Jay said:

i agree with you. Branch is the difference between a very good Patriot team and a great Patriot team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back