PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Patriots Tid Bits from Mike Freeman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From his recent column (I know it is Bleacher Report, but he is a major national writer who used to write for CBSSportsline):

About the upcoming draft:

The entire NFL is fascinated with Bill Belichick and everything he does and says. Once again, they are watching him and the general consensus is that he will be extremely active in the draft. They currently hold the 29th overall pick.

What I continue to hear from team officials is that despite the Patriots working out a number of quarterbacks, they truly feel like that Tom Brady only has a few years left. So what the Patriots really want is a major receiving threat for him so they can take that last shot or two at the Super Bowl.

Belichick apparently feels that is one of the main missing ingredients from their team. That makes total sense. Even though Brady is so damn good he makes up for a lot of deficiencies, quarterbacks, even great ones, simply function better when they have a scary receiving threat.

About Gronk:

It was reported this week that that New England tight end Rob Gronkowski is moving along just fine in his recovery from a torn ACL and MCL. That's all well and good, but a source close to him told me that the star player will "take his time and then take more time."

I'm told he might even take more time, and be more patient, than ever before. I'm not exactly sure when we'll see Gronkowski. I do know he'll be back when he's good and ready, and I'm not sure how anyone can fault that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-clowney-stink-of-draft-propaganda#comments

I think both reports go hand in hand. If the Pats are worried about Gronk making it back for the start of the year, they need an impact receiver in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved up to get someone, but I won't hold my breath either.

Where the hell was this attitude last year? What a pile of crap that had at WR last year.

Brady near the end ... That is too much to digest.

I think both reports go hand in hand. If the Pats are worried about Gronk making it back for the start of the year, they need an impact receiver in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved up to get someone, but I won't hold my breath either.
Did you see the other thread about Freeman reporting NE is looking to move up for a top WR?

On a WR in the draft, unless you're grabbing one of the can't miss guys at the very top, it's a HUGE gamble to think that a rookie WR is going to solve anything in year one.

On Gronk, waiting until he was 110% sure helped him stay healthy last year.

Did you see the other thread about Freeman reporting NE is looking to move up for a top WR?

It was another reporter saying WR in the other thread. Freeman is saying receiving threat. He never specified a position. It could be WR or TE. They could move up to get Ebron or Amaro rather than the 5-6 WRs who will be picked in the first round (although one or two of those WRs might fall to to 29 anyway).

Last edited:
It was another reporter saying WR in the other thread. Freeman is saying receiving threat. It could be WR or TE. They could move up to get Ebron or Amaro rather than the 5-6 WRs who will be picked in the first round (although one or two of those WRs might fall to to 29 anyway).

Sorry, I was looking at another thread. I didn't see the other thread about Mike Freeman.

Honestly I think this is a smokescreen.

They think Brady only has a few years left, yet they're intent on moving up to select at a position that is notoriously slow to develop (2-3 years)? So unless they find a precocious prospect a la Keenan Allen, they're likely going to end up with a guy who, unless he busts completely, is going to break out just as Brady is exiting the league?

I think the vastly more likely scenario is that BB is building the defense into an elite unit and thus removing some of the pressure from Brady's shoulders. BB recognizes that the days of riding Brady's talent into the Super Bowl are likely over, and with Revis and Browner added we now have a defense that is only 2-3 pieces away from being elite.

Just my $.02.

But that thead says "receiving threat" just like what I posted, not WR. A receiving threat can be a TE.

PS, Ian, you gotta turn on the edit feature on posts or I am going to end up posting a dozen times to correct my posts.

EDIT: Right after I posted this, the EDIT Feature turned on. You the man Ian.

...I think the vastly more likely scenario is that BB is building the defense into an elite unit and thus removing some of the pressure from Brady's shoulders. BB recognizes that the days of riding Brady's talent into the Super Bowl are likely over, and with Revis and Browner added we now have a defense that is only 2-3 pieces away from being elite.

I think a declining Brady gives even more credence to "Lets get him an elite receiver" theory.

But- I'd happily take Brady with last years receivers if it meant we'd have a truly elite and opportunistic defense.

Last edited:
I think a declining Brady gives even more credence to "Lets get him an elite receiver" theory.

But- I'd happily take Brady with last years receivers if it meant we'd have a truly elite and opportunistic defense.

A FA WR, sure. A draftee? Not as much.

Gronk is heading towards being Antwan Harris II (nickname not post football legal issues).

But that thead says "receiving threat" just like what I posted, not WR. A receiving threat can be a TE.

PS, Ian, you gotta turn on the edit feature on posts or I am going to end up posting a dozen times to correct my posts.

EDIT: Right after I posted this, the EDIT Feature turned on. You the man Ian.

Yes, but it says Belichick believes, but does not have quotes around receiving threat, unless you meant to quote the writer.

"main missing ingredient" is the only thing quoted in that whole article

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand