PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Press Conference 7:30am (1/8/24)

How do you even do a coach trade? Need to comply with Rooney rule
Its too complicated
There really isn’t such a thing as a coach trade.
A coach under contract who resigns can’t work for another team.
In that case the team he was under contract with negotiates compensation so the other team can hire him.
In this case, the other team would have to meet the Rooney rule requirements, then decide to hire bb, who would resign, and the other team would pay comp to the patriots to release their rights to him.

There was never contract negotiations in 2020. Brady was never contacted to discuss one. Once Brady told Kraft he signed with Bucs, Kraft offered to match it. That is not a negotiation. That is a PR move so he can say he offered a matching contract.
I think you've been proven wrong already on the 2019 negotaition where he was offered 2 years, but the Boston papers are adamant that in 2020, he was offered a 1 year deal for $20m prior to driving to Kraft's house. That's what he was going for.

Let's face it, Brady wanted to move on, and he contacted people about doing so before the 2019 season. He showed up on Ross's boat for heaven's sake. There's no denying this. I do think this was a underhanded move by Brady.

I think you've been proven wrong already on the 2019 negotaition where he was offered 2 years, but the Boston papers are adamant that in 2020, he was offered a 1 year deal for $20m prior to driving to Kraft's house. That's what he was going for.

Let's face it, Brady wanted to move on, and he contacted people about doing so before the 2019 season. He showed up on Ross's boat for heaven's sake. There's no denying this. I do think this was a underhanded move by Brady.
1 year for $20MM when others were getting 40 is even more insulting. But no I rememebr a lot of reporting there was no contract negotiations at all until Brady agreed with Bucs.

And no I was not proven wrong.

Last edited:
1 year for $20MM when others were getting 40 is even more insulting. But no I rememebr a lot of reporting there was no contract negotiations at all until Brady agreed with Bucs.
First, it was $25m, but how is it insulting when Brady signed for that with Tampa? This is what Brady wanted.

I remember the opposite of you. They were hung up over length of contract in 2020.

But regardless, no one ever wants to talk about the very clear evidence that Brady was trying to join other teams.

Maybe it was all a ruse because Brady didn't want to damage his legacy in New England, and he wanted to have it blamed on someone else. Whatever it's clear he was contacting teams when he had 1 1/2 years on his contract. That's shady

First, it was $25m, but how is it insulting when Brady signed for that with Tampa? This is what Brady wanted.

I remember the opposite of you. They were hung up over length of contract in 2020.

But regardless, no one ever wants to talk about the very clear evidence that Brady was trying to join other teams.

Maybe it was all a ruse because Brady didn't want to damage his legacy in New England, and he wanted to have it blamed on someone else. Whatever it's clear he was contacting teams when he had 1 1/2 years on his contract. That's shady
You are the one who said 20 lol. The reporting was never offered 2 years. If anything, it was always it may have been 2 years but was probably just a year was the most I read about that.

There was zero contract conversation between Brady and Pats while he was a free agent in 2020. That says everything about Pats interest in resigning him.

You are the one who said 20 lol. The reporting was never offered 2 years. If anything, it was always it may have been 2 years but was probably just a year was the most I read about that.

There was zero contract conversation between Brady and Pats while he was a free agent in 2020. That says everything about Pats interest in resigning him.
Where did I say that? Are you confusing me with someone else?

I didn't say they offered him 2 years in 2020. I said the opposite. They DIDN'T offer him 2 years.

"While he was a free agent."

Come on... you and I know very well that teams have a window with their players before free agency opens.

Where did I say that? Are you confusing me with someone else?

I didn't say they offered him 2 years in 2020. I said the opposite. They DIDN'T offer him 2 years.

"While he was a free agent."

Come on... you and I know very well that teams have a window with their players before free agency opens.
This was from your post above: "but the Boston papers are adamant that in 2020, he was offered a 1 year deal for $20m prior to driving to Kraft's house. That's what he was going for."

I meant anytime in 2020 free agency (after season end) not official period as yes no team waits for it.

This was from your post above: "but the Boston papers are adamant that in 2020, he was offered a 1 year deal for $20m prior to driving to Kraft's house. That's what he was going for."

I meant anytime in 2020 free agency (after season end) not official period as yes no team waits for it.
I see I made that mistake. I've been saying repeatedly here in all my posts that it's $25m. Dont know why I wrote that.

They did make him a 1 year offer after the season.

Brady was considering it.

Count me on the “Bring back Josh as Assistant HC/QB Coach, plus Mick Lombardi and whoever else, and let him and BOB run the offense and build the staff they want and work in tandem with Bill and the front office on offensive player selection” train.

Mickey ****ing Lombardi? You ****ting me? Dude's an unqualified thanksdad hack. No ****ing thanks.

Mickey ****ing Lombardi? You ****ting me? Dude's an unqualified thanksdad hack. No ****ing thanks.
I'm not talking as OC but as an assistant coach.

...Josh comes back as QB Coach and Assistant HC, and he brings back some of the guys be poached to Vegas. He and BOB build the staff they’d prefer on offense. Bill cedes final say on personnel to whomever Kraft elects, possibly Wolf, Ziegler or whomever.

Ziggy the Pinhead sucks too! He's one of the reasons we're where we are now!

We should be moving AWAY from the life-long members of Bill's F & Fs Plan like Ziggy & Mickey Lombardi.

Hey I have an idea: Let's give QUALIFIED executives & coaches a chance this time.

Well with Josh, Mac looked like a potential franchise QB. Maybe reuniting with Josh, getting an elite WR in RHJ along with some OL in the draft could make Mac a serviceable enough QB to make a legit playoff run.

Corky never Ever looked like that, even while he was playing the best football of his career, i.e.: that mirage 7-game winning streak.

I'm in favor of going a new direction but I see a possibility there. Just because McDaniels is a terrible HC doesn't mean he isn't a good OC

Agreed.

Then why hasn’t he been fired yet if it was such chump change?
there's no rush.

After so many years, a couple of meetings or even more is appropriate.

They might want to discuss the future of his Belichick's sons or other coaches and staff.

...Then it comes down to figuring out how to fix the poor drafting, though it has largely just been poor at offensive skill positions and lately kicker. Defensive picks have generally been pretty good and they’ve been picking and developing OL fine enough.

Ex-squeeze me?

How many Bill haters here have slammed him all season for failing to find a franchise LT during to offseason?

"LT WANYA MORRIS, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Amazingly, only two rookies played at least 150 snaps at left tackle this season, Wanya Morris 7) and Jaelyn Duncan. Between those two, Morris graded far higher, albeit with an unimpressive 54.6.

Bill and Matt were right to be unimpressed with the OT class of 2023.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back