PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some NFL Owners Resist New Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not expanded on my knowledge of non-profits for two reasons. First, the statements were obvious ones to anyone who deals with non-profits on a regular basis. Second, more importantly, I wanted you to continue with your rhetoric to expose you for what you really are. As usual, you resort to extreme hyperbole, insult, putting words in others' mouths and lashing out to try to prove yourself to be right, regardless of how little you really know about a subject.
No, you nhave not expanded because you have no knowledge.

As I have said, I am not an expert in non-profit organizations. Stating that I work for a non-profit was simply to prove wrong the other db's lame accusation that I know absolutely nothing about non-profits.
No, you stated that you do not wish to hear anyone elses opinion because you have seen it from both sides. That is claiming expert knowledge.

Because non-profits vary so widely in their source of income (grants, donations, revenue) and purpose, working for a single non-profit for two years, unless you are in legal or financials (which I am not), certainly is not a qualifier to comment on how most non-profits generally work.
Then why did you say you need not listen to anyone elses opinion because of your experience?

That said, for more than 13 years I was a vendor/consultant working in pre-sales, post-sales an support roles for hundreds of customers, many dozens of which were non-profit organizations. Their purchasing practices when purchasing technology and services for a new solution (not replacing an existing solution) differ vastly from most for-profit organizations. They always include multiple vendors for bids, the financial people are always the ones who sign the SOWs and the process is almost always more drawn out, and including many more internal employees than just about any for-profit oragnization (with a few exceptions i.e. companies that work for the DOD). As different as the purchasing process is, it pales in comparison to how non-profits deal with releasing capital investments, like old equiptment. They are sticklers about the vendor picking up old equiptment from the premisis, and are very thorough on the documenting exactly where that equiptment ends up. Sure, I am no expert on non-profit organizations, but after more than 13 years of working with them and their for-profit counterparts, I can say with a very high level of confidence that they do, in fact, operate differently than for-profit organizations.
What does any of that have to do with the difference between the way the Packers and the Chiefs operate?
The organizational structure and decision making in purchasing of for profit vs non profit are irrelevant to this discussion, and do not illustate any difference in their desire to maximize their financial success. In fact, your example suggests the non profit is more motivated to make good decisions, which arguably could be correct because management and executives end up with what would otherwise be profit in their bonusses.
Sorry but the process of a company in purchasing that you tried to make sales to is a moronic example of how the Green Bay Packers operate in relaition to the rest of the NFL.

Twenty minutes of google research doesn't make anyone an expert on any subject.
Nor does your explanation that while you were not in a position where you could understand it you saw that non profits had a different process to make purchases.
If you think my knowledge is based on a Google search, you just arent paying attention.

You don't always have to be the "smartest guy in the room".
Never said I have to be, but I also don't have to tell you that you are right when you are wrong to avoid that accusation.

Not everything is a competition, and it is ok to to be wrong sometimes.
Pot meet kettle

Unfortunately, I hold little hope that your have learned any humility from this little exercise.
I wold very humbly admit I was wrong, if I were. Humility is not saying you are wrong when you are not because the guy who is wrong has his feelings hurt. So no, there is no humility for me in this situation, because there is nothing to humble me in this thread. You on the other hand...

Much more likely, you will lash out, blaming others for doing what is you own MO.
I am not or have not blmed anyone. 'You are wrong. If it makes you feel better you can pretend you are right I guess.

If you do lash out, please keep it confined to the forums because if there are still any loved ones living with you, they've been through enough. You need help.
You type that kind of a comment because we disagree on a message board and think that I need help. Wow.
Listen, this has clearly become a traumatic experience for you, so lets do this. Tyope whatever you want to in response. Call me name, accuse me of kidnapping the Lindberg baby, proclaim yourself winner of the discussion, hell, proclaim yourself king of the world. Go for it, buddy. I will not be responding anymore because you have obviously lost touch with what a message board discussion is.
Good luck to you.

No, you stated that you do not wish to hear anyone elses opinion because you have seen it from both sides. That is claiming expert knowledge.

Then why did you say you need not listen to anyone elses opinion because of your experience?

What does any of that have to do with the difference between the way the Packers and the Chiefs operate?
The organizational structure and decision making in purchasing of for profit vs non profit are irrelevant to this discussion, and do not illustate any difference in their desire to maximize their financial success. In fact, your example suggests the non profit is more motivated to make good decisions, which arguably could be correct because management and executives end up with what would otherwise be profit in their bonusses.
Sorry but the process of a company in purchasing that you tried to make sales to is a moronic example of how the Green Bay Packers operate in relaition to the rest of the NFL.

Nor does your explanation that while you were not in a position where you could understand it you saw that non profits had a different process to make purchases.
If you think my knowledge is based on a Google search, you just arent paying attention.

Never said I have to be, but I also don't have to tell you that you are right when you are wrong to avoid that accusation.

Pot meet kettle

I wold very humbly admit I was wrong, if I were. Humility is not saying you are wrong when you are not because the guy who is wrong has his feelings hurt. So no, there is no humility for me in this situation, because there is nothing to humble me in this thread. You on the other hand...

I am not or have not blmed anyone. 'You are wrong. If it makes you feel better you can pretend you are right I guess.

You type that kind of a comment because we disagree on a message board and think that I need help. Wow.
Listen, this has clearly become a traumatic experience for you, so lets do this. Tyope whatever you want to in response. Call me name, accuse me of kidnapping the Lindberg baby, proclaim yourself winner of the discussion, hell, proclaim yourself king of the world. Go for it, buddy. I will not be responding anymore because you have obviously lost touch with what a message board discussion is.
Good luck to you.

lol i love it when people start one-upping each other. We shall wait for your response GoldenAge

Pot meet kettle

Good luck to you.

Andy, all this guy is saying is that he's worked in non-profits before and that experience has allowed him to make the observation that they don't do things the same way that for-profit companies do. I think it is pretty safe to assume this is also true in the NFL, just as it's probably safe to assume that drawing conclusions about league-wide profitability from the financials of a publicly-owned team that doesn't even pay dividends to shareholders is a little weird.

There have to be owners. Private or public, there have to be owners.

None of this is about the distinction between private and public businesses. It is about the distinction between for-profit and non-profit entities.

They do not have PRIVATE owners. Every business has owners. You need to recognize that word in the text you quoted.
It isnt saying ownership vs no ownership is the difference it is saying private vs public. There is no such thing as no ownership

What I wrote was
When the article said "... not for profit organizations do not have private owners," it meant that they don't have individuals, as opposed to some sort of board, as owners.

The Wikipedia article that I quoted from is entitled "Non-profit organization." It is talking about the differences between a non-profit organizations and for-profit organizations. It is not talking about the difference between privately held and public companies.

The article is saying that in order to qualify for non profit status, the company must be owned by shareholders, not a private owner.

It most certainly does not say that, and what you wrote is not true. Are you saying that for MGH to qualify for non-profit status, it has to be owned by shareholders?

As I understand it, non-profits are "owned" by some sort of group, but they are not shareholders, and they do not "own" the organization in the same way that the Krafts "own" the Patriots or that many individuals "own" Microsoft stock.

Well, a lot needs to be cleared up. Every company has owners. They are either public or private. For profit companies can be either. Non profit companies MUST be organized as public.

When you say "Non profit companies must be organized as public," do you mean that they must be organized the way that a publicly traded company is?

Andy, all this guy is saying is that he's worked in non-profits before and that experience has allowed him to make the observation that they don't do things the same way that for-profit companies do. I think it is pretty safe to assume this is also true in the NFL, just as it's probably safe to assume that drawing conclusions about league-wide profitability from the financials of a publicly-owned team that doesn't even pay dividends to shareholders is a little weird.

Well, at least I got though to somebody. Thanks Don. ;)

There have to be owners. Private or public, there have to be owners.

They do not have PRIVATE owners. Every business has owners. You need to recognize that word in the text you quoted.
It isnt saying ownership vs no ownership is the difference it is saying private vs public. There is no such thing as no ownership

That is totally wrong. They are not mutually exclusive.
Every company is public or private. The article is saying that in order to qualify for non profit status, the company must be owned by shareholders, not a private owner.

Well, a lot needs to be cleared up. Every company has owners. They are either public or private. For profit companies can be either. Non profit companies MUST be organized as public.

Just for my own amusement I ran a search on the word "public" in the Wikipedia article entitled "Nonprofit organization."

Nonprofit organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are all the occasions in the text of the article in which the word appears either in the general discussion or in the specific discussion of the United States.

Examples of NPOs include charities (i.e., charitable organizations), trade unions, trade associations and public arts organizations.

..but they are more complicated to administer, they are more tax favored, and the public charities that receive grants from them must have a specially determined relationship.

Most larger organizations are required to publish their financial reports detailing their income and expenditure for the public.

A tax exempt organization's 990 forms are required to be made available to public scrutiny.

However, use of terminology by a nonprofit of self-descriptive language that is not legally compliant risks confusing the public about nonprofit abilities, capabilities and limitations.

The people who worked on the Wikipedia article on nonprofit organizations clearly do not feel that the word "public" is of much use or importance in a discussion of the organization of nonprofit organizations.

Last edited:
The people who worked on the Wikipedia article on nonprofit organizations clearly do not feel that the word "public" is of much use or importance in a discussion of the organization of nonprofit organizations.

What you need to understand is AndyJohnson and a few other members on this board are basically schills for Pats management - I wouldn't be surprised if they were PR people employed by the team. Look at his past threads, AJ always posts pro Pats management and pro-Pats no matter what; they can do no wrong for him his entire time he's posted.

Here's an article by Jason Cole of Yahoo on who may be resisting the new deal and why and what the liklihood is they will prevail and what the consequences could be if they do. Just for those of you tired of the typical hijacker non profit debate currently raging in this thread...

Chicago meetings pivotal for Goodell - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Interesting. In a less than optimal universe if I had to lose a season of NFL football, Jet fan Goodell's resultant beheading might compensate somewhat.

Just for my own amusement I ran a search on the word "public" in the Wikipedia article entitled "Nonprofit organization."

Here are all the occasions in the text of the article in which the word appears either in the general discussion or in the specific discussion of the United States.

I think Inigo Montoya has some advice for Andy, about the word "public":

And I think all Andy is trying to say is that it doesn't necessarily make him right in this regard. I very highly doubt the Packers operate in the same manner in which NEGA describes above. The unfortunate part is that it then became heated.

Your example was a piss poor one whether you have the ability to accept it or not.

My example was dead on. You'd know that if you had a clue about the situation in any way, shape or form. You've proven that you don't. Thanks.

In the hope of ending this side bar, the same wikipedia article you are referencing states that not for profits:

"...may be organized as a not-for-profit corporation or as a trust, a cooperative, or they may be purely informal." [emphasis added]

As such the Packer's status as a not for profit and having shareholders doesn't put them into both classifications as you indicated previously.

I find it amusing that you take exception to a true statement like non-profit organizations operate differently than for-profit ones do, yet accept a silly statement saying there are no small market teams because you can watch games from anywhere garbage. Here is a great rule of thumb for you and your bbuddy. If you find that you are putting words into somebody else's mouth, there is a very good chance that you are wrong.

And I find it amusing that you can't accept that not all Non-Profit companies operate the same either and that you think that because you worked for one you now have some great omnipotent power that lets you be the all-knowing on the subject. . And I also find it hypocritical of you to tell Andy no to put words in people's mouths when that is exactly what you did.

None of this is about the distinction between private and public businesses. It is about the distinction between for-profit and non-profit entities.

What I wrote was

The Wikipedia article that I quoted from is entitled "Non-profit organization." It is talking about the differences between a non-profit organizations and for-profit organizations. It is not talking about the difference between privately held and public companies.

It most certainly does not say that, and what you wrote is not true. Are you saying that for MGH to qualify for non-profit status, it has to be owned by shareholders?

As I understand it, non-profits are "owned" by some sort of group, but they are not shareholders, and they do not "own" the organization in the same way that the Krafts "own" the Patriots or that many individuals "own" Microsoft stock.

When you say "Non profit companies must be organized as public," do you mean that they must be organized the way that a publicly traded company is?
Please go back and reread what you quoted and what you wrote.

You said that the Packers don't appear to be either for profit or not for profit because they have owners but.....
The part that you copied in said that not for profit do not have PRIVATE owners.
That would be the only thing you could be referring to by stating that they are not either because THEY HAVE OWNERS......

This entire abomination of a thread is because you misread the statement that you copied in yourself.

Let me put it another way.
They ARE nonprofit because they have owners and the owners do not benefit financially.

That is a correct statement. Yours implied they didnt meet the requirement of non profit because they had owners. Every organization has owners. Having owners was pointed out to you as a reason they didnt qualify as non profit. If you would try to understand that instead of argue this could have been done 50 posts ago, when I simply pointed out that you did not catch the distinction that it said "private .owners' not 'owners'

Well I think you missed the part of the discussion, where when discussing whether the non profit status affects how the Packers operate (that IS debatable) his response was "I don't care to hear what you have to say because I've worked on both sides" and that he called the other posters reference to the Packers 'piss poor' and has yet to respond to what would be a good example.

The Packers are unique. It is very reasonable to assume they seek 'profit' as much as any other organization. There status does not preclude that, they just must retain those earnings rather than distribute them.
That was the point to begin with, that the nonprofit status of the Packers and how it affects their operation is misunderstood.

What you need to understand is AndyJohnson and a few other members on this board are basically schills for Pats management - I wouldn't be surprised if they were PR people employed by the team. Look at his past threads, AJ always posts pro Pats management and pro-Pats no matter what; they can do no wrong for him his entire time he's posted.
Boohoo.
Your personal opinion that I am more supportive of the organizations decision making record that you are, has exactly what to do with this thread?

Public is being used to clarify your misunderstanding of what you copied in.
You said the Packers aren't really non profit because they have owners.
The article said they do not have private owners.
Again this is what the entire debacle has been about, and if you reread you will see this.
Wikipedia's opinion, or the correctness of it is not at issue. Your statement that they aren't really for profit or non profit because they have owners (evidently your reason they are not non profit) but they do not benefit financially (evidently your reason they are not for profit) was a misunderstanding of what you read and copied in.
That is all it was. Reread please.

I say this because you started the discussion by providing a source that say non profit companies may not be owned by private owners.

And I find it amusing that you can't accept that not all Non-Profit companies operate the same either and that you think that because you worked for one you now have some great omnipotent power that lets you be the all-knowing on the subject. . And I also find it hypocritical of you to tell Andy no to put words in people's mouths when that is exactly what you did.

You're right, DB. The Packers, a non-profit organization in a small NFL market who are reporting a 10% profit, is an excellent example to support the owner's "need" for a much larger share of the money, in a league with 31 other, for-profit teams, mostly in much larger markets. I now also understand that it is silly to assume that a non-profit organization operates similarly to other non-profits. How could I ever have been so misguided. :rolleyes: Thankfully, this board has posters with such typing stamina as you and Andy.

DaBruinz --- anytime a firm is making a 10% profit, that is a profit level significantly above normal. It is not something to ***** about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes