PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some early links from Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It’s still early in the week, but here are a few links from Tampa-area papers in advance of this week’s Patriots-Bucs game. The big story — at least today — seems to focus on whether or not quarterback Jeff Garcia will play Sunday against New England. He just returned to the field yesterday after sitting [...]

More...

Healthy enough to be back on the field on Monday, you'd think that a solid week of prep would enable him to play a series or 2 Sunday just for game speed timing. Just throw the ball away if the pocket collapses. It's only an exhibition (bad word) game.

Sounds like Garcia is probably not going to play according to the St Petersburg Times.

Jeff Garcia participated in about half of the Bucs' outdoor workout this afternoon, taking part in a couple of passing drills but skipping the full-squad portion.

He presumably spent that time getting rest and treatment on his right calf muscle, which he strained 11 days ago. But don't look for Garcia to suit up against the Patriots on Sunday night. He said it's more likely he gets back under center the following week, against Jacksonville on Aug. 23.

Gruden already knows what Garcia can do, and has two roster decisions to make on four other quarterbacks - Griese, McCown, Simms, and a rookie they drafted. If nothing else it might be the last chance to showcase one of those guys and try to get a late round draft pick rather than just cut him. Considering we're a bit thin at a few spots, I can see a Tampa QB looking good in the 2nd half.

Here are the two main Tampa Bay fan forums. Seems to be a lot of negativity in Tampa; one site seems obsessed with firing the head coach and the other with why the team didn't offer more to get Favre.
Pewter Report
Buccaneers.com

The sports sections of the Tampa area papers are okay, but should give Pats fans an appreciation of the Globe's coverage, Reiss, Gasper, and SMY.
St Petersburg Times
Tampa Tribune

And if you are masochistic enough to go deep behind enemy lines and listen to their sports talk radio, here are links for that streaming audio.
1470 WHBO
1010 WQYK
620 WDAE

Looks like Tampa Bay will be without their starting QB and #1 WR for this week's game, according to a Buccaneer beat writer.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/section/BLOG42
Quarterback Jeff Garcia is not going to play Sunday against the New England Patriots in the exhibition home opener at Raymond James Stadium.

Wide receiver Joey Galloway is also going to miss his second exhibition game.

That's what I gather from head coach Jon Gruden's assessment of both players Tuesday.

The 38-year-old quarterback was once again limited to individual drills and did not take part in team 11-on-11 plays against the defense.

Gruden also practically ruled out Galloway, who is still has a groin strain. He runs sprints, working off to the side, by himself.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/08/dont-look-for-g.html
Receiver Joey Galloway missed practice again today. But the veteran did do some football-related work, catching passes from an assistant coach while running simple routes, then, doing the same thing with a little bit better quarterback delivering passes: Jeff Garcia.

Garcia still isn't participating in some full-speed drills as he attempts to bounce back from his calf strain. Meanwhile, Galloway, who has a strained groin, probably won't play this preseason. Coach Jon Gruden stopped short of ruling him out of exhibition games when I asked him this morning, but Gruden concedes that Galloway has never played much in the preseason and would not suffer from sitting out this year. That means the first hit Galloway takes could be from, say, Jonathan Vilma of the Saints on opening day.

Last edited:
I'd give them a 7th for Griese.;)

I will see your seventh, add a 6th and throw in both Cassel and Gut....

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/4493
Griese To Start vs. Patriots

By: Jim Flynn

August 15, 2008 @ 6:00pm

With Jeff Garcia still sidelined with a calf injury, Bucs quarterback Brian Griese will start against the New England Patriots on Sunday. Pewter Report has the latest injury news from One Buccaneer Place.

"We're going to start Brian Griese," said Gruden. "You'll see Luke McCown and hopefully you'll see all of the quarterbacks play, but we'll see how the game goes."

Griese completed 10-of-14 (71.4 percent) of his passes for 59 yards and capped off a 19-play drive with a touchdown pass during Tampa Bay's 17-6 win in Miami last Saturday.

McCown completed 9-of-15 (60 percent) of his passes for 70 yards, but did not lead the team into the end zone.
-----
"Yeah, I think we're seeing progress," Gruden said of Galloway. "We'll just have to let you know when he's ready to go. He's getting better, but he's not ready to go yet."
-----
Bucs defensive tackle Jovan Haye will also miss Sunday's preseason contest with a groin injury he sustained during the first week of camp.

Tight end Ben Troupe was limited in practice this week due to a foot injury. Despite missing a significant amount of practice time, Gruden said Troupe could play vs. the Patriots.
-----
Bucs On National Radar
Tampa Bay's preseason home opener vs. the New England Patriots will be nationally televised on NFL Network at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday.

The Bucs aren't the only ones preparing for that game. NFL Network commentators Marshall Faulk, Sterling Sharpe and sideline reporter Adam Shefter were watching practice at One Buccaneer Place on Friday afternoon.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/4490
Wilson Ready For Former Team

By: Charlie Campbell

August 14, 2008 @ 3:40pm

Buccaneers cornerback Eugene Wilson is eager to play his former team, the New England Patriots, on Sunday night. The preseason home opener against the defending AFC champions also happens to fall on Wilson's 28th birthday. While Wilson is facing his former team, he is not overly excited about going against his former teammates.

"I feel that it is unique that it is my birthday and we're playing them on my birthday," said Wilson. "That is unique. We're going to go out and play our game. It will be cool to see some of the guys on the team."
-----
Many times in the NFL, players that leave one team feel a desire to have a big game when they face their former club. That sentiment seems to be lost in regards to how Wilson feels about going up against the Patriots.

"No, I don't have anything special for them," said Wilson. "It is just another game. It is just a former team."
-----
...Wilson appears to be the fourth cornerback at this time.
-----
While Wilson had played his entire NFL career at safety, the Bucs were inclined to put him back at his college position of cornerback. Tampa Bay held Wilson in high regard when he came out of college, but were not in a position to draft him because of the draft picks traded for head coach Jon Gruden. Wilson discussed how his return to corner with the Buccaneers was going.

"It is coming along real well," said Wilson. "I feel like I have a good grasp of what we're trying to get done, and it is just coming real well.

"One of the reasons why they wanted me to come here, was to bring my physical play to the corner spot. Because their corners do play physical here so it is a good fit for me. It has been an adjustment of coming from the angle on the outside where as a safety is coming head on. I'm used to doing some hitting and banging down there. That won't be something I'm not used to."

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=0e019bb9-92ce-4f26-aa82-c7765c71a057
New England vs. Tampa Bay preseason preview

Reported by: Tom Korun

Welcome to week two of the NFL preseason. The stakes are elevated as depth charts solidify, and what a nice barometer to have in the New England Patriots.

Here's what we'll be looking for in Week Two:

1. Quarterbacks: Luke McCown/Brian Griese - There can only be one back-up QB, but who will it be? As I stated in my ABC Action News report Thursday, my money is on Griese. He is such an intelligent quarterback, if only he had the physical attributes of Luke McCown. Gruden will likely hold off until after the Jacksonville game in week three to pen the depth chart, but keep your eyes on these two. McCown missed the money ball in week one, Griese did not with no time remaining in the first half vs. Dolphins. Remember, red zone efficiency is the key here. It's Griese 1 McCown 0.

2. RB's: If the Fins game is an indication, the Bucs have a problem, a good problem: three very capable RB's in Earnest Graham, Warrick Dunn and Michael Bennett. Bennett showed durability between the tackles and speed for big gains around the corner. Bennett still needs to work on blocking assignments and technique. Ken Darby also showed a bit of flash in week one, but he's not quite in the class of the big three, though he may get there in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes