PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder and McCourty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect either to be extended this year. I don't see why McCourty would choose to sign rather than wait.

That's your opinion, but Byrd is certainly considered to be the top FS out there by the majority, not McCourty as was stated by the poster.

There's a reason why Byrd set the new standard for guaranteed money for any defensive back--ever, at 26.3m in guarantees.

If McCourty is looking for something like that, we're going to be SOL, and you can take that to the bank, despite where he falls in the ranking of safeties.

Revis and McCourty could be a combined $22m cap hit next year and the team would still be $6m-$7m under the cap and that's before cap casualties and restructures

Dmac is definitely someone I think should be extended. He fits in the BB mold of versatile, intelligent players. The reason his stats are so "low" is because defenses avoided him. I forsee a huge jump this year when throwing to him is the lesser of evils compared to making a run at Revis island.

1st round picks that have received extensions in the Belichick Patriots Era
2001- Seymour
2003- Warren
2004- Wilfork
2005- Mankins
2008- Mayo

1st round picks that weren't extended
2002- Graham
2004- Watson
2006- Maroney
2007- Merriweather

Which group does McCourty fit in?

Not really.

I think that we may extend Gostokowksi, Slater and Connolly. I also hope for an extension for Vereen.

Actually, I think that there is a chance at extending Revis. I suspect that he wants to stay for awhile.

I don't think Solder will be extended before seeing him healthy for another year. After all, we have his services through 2015, presuming that we exercise that option.

I think that McCourty expects a great year, with Revis and Browner at corner. And there is no reason for him to believe that the market for top safeties will go down.

IMHO, Solder and McCourty will likely be on the patriots team in 2015, just not as a result of 2014 extensions.

Of course you don't but then again you are Mr. Pessimistic

From a financial standpoint, McCourty would be an idiot if he resigned now. This is about as good as it gets in terms of situations to gamble on.

From a financial standpoint, McCourty would be an idiot if he resigned now. This is about as good as it gets in terms of situations to gamble on.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Revis and McCourty could be a combined $22m cap hit next year and the team would still be $6m-$7m under the cap and that's before cap casualties and restructures

Obviously, they "could" fit them both under the salary cap if they chose to do so. That could be said for just about any player or combination of players in the NFL though.

The concerns are that:

--Revis may take priority, and rightfully so

--It'd be one hell of a lot of money in tying up both Revis/McCourty for the secondary

--They could easily choose to franchise McCourty, while they don't have that option with Revis in 2015

--McCourty may want too much money

I say odds are good Pats and McCourty agree to a deal by the end of the season, possibly even before the season even starts.

I bet over the last month there haven't even been any contract talks between the Pats and McCourty and if there were any, they were just initial talks.

I say odds are good Pats and McCourty agree to a deal by the end of the season, possibly even before the season even starts.

I bet over the last month there haven't even been any contract talks between the Pats and McCourty and if there were any they were just initial talks.

I hope you're right. McCourty obviously is the kind of guy who we'd all like to see kept around.

That said, I think it's been an assumption that it's written in stone that McCourty is definitely going to be extended sometime this offseason, and the reality is that they could go another 2 years should they want/have to.

With the safety market rising significantly, and McCourty's twin brother signing his own 8.5-9m dollar deal, I don't think McCourty will be in any hurry to accept an offer that he's not blown away with.

I don't know how much, if any bearing or priority the Revis deal may have, but it's another piece worth considering; especially since he cannot be franchised while McCourty can.

I hope you're right. McCourty obviously is the kind of guy who we'd all like to see kept around.

That said, I think it's been an assumption that it's written in stone that McCourty is definitely going to be extended sometime this offseason, and the reality is that they could go another 2 years should they want/have to.

With the safety market rising significantly, and McCourty's twin brother signing his own 8.5-9m dollar deal, I don't think McCourty will be in any hurry to accept an offer that he's not blown away with.

I don't know how much, if any bearing or priority the Revis deal may have, but it's another piece worth considering; especially since he cannot be franchised while McCourty can.

if McCourty puts some stats to his already good play at FS he could be one of the top FA's next year so like you said I don't see him in a rush to sign any contract that's not top dollar without seeing what his market is next year

if McCourty puts some stats to his already good play at FS he could be one of the top FA's next year so like you said I don't see him in a rush to sign any contract that's not top dollar without seeing what his market is next year

Yeah, if you're in McCourty's position, you can't be too unhappy with how the safety market played out in this offseason's free agent period.

In a worst case scenario, he's going to make 9.5m+ on the franchise tag a year from now--fully guaranteed. This past month or so had to have changed his mind a bit about what kind of pact he can get for his next deal.

I think that McCourty offers versatility for both CB/S in different packages, is a good leader, and is one of the hard working kind of players that Belichick likes to have around. He'd definitely be worth retaining.

I don't think he has any position flexibility. He's playing FS because he was terrible at CB in 2012 and for the first part of 2013. His poor play at CB was one of the main reasons why the Patriots traded for Talib.

So your idea of "judge him by what you see" is to watch one game where Dennard and Ryan were horribly overmatched and the pass rush barely affected Manning? I know people like safeties that fly around, hit hard, and pick off passes, but the Pats would have done a whole lot worse on defense if McCourty had done anything other than sit back in passive deep coverage. If you take him out of the middle of the field, then you're making one of the mid-to-deep outside receivers even more open. What would you have rather seen him do? Mind-reading is awesome, but it's not a realistic expectation of McCourty.

I'll admit it--I am one of those people who like safeties that fly around, hit hard, and pick off passes. I think if you have JAG corners, it's more important to have a FS that plays like that, not less important. That's why he's not a franchise-type safety, IMO.

His second year at CB was worse than his first. His second year at FS was worse than his first:

Devin McCourty, FS for the New England Patriots at NFL.com

Guy just has a hatred hard-on for McCourty, pay him no mind.

The fact that McCourty is considered by a lot of the national sports media as a top safety says all you need to know. National sports media doesn't fluff Patriot players if they aren't good.

You have a special kind of ignorance that can't be taught. I applaud you for getting through life without someone attacking you.

You're basing this on what, exactly? Stats? Please tell me you have more to base this on than stats.

OK, give me your opinion: do you think McCourty was better at CB in 2011 than 2010?

OK, give me your opinion: do you think McCourty was better at CB in 2011 than 2010?

Of course not. Though, I'm not sure how that's relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST