PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder and McCourty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With free agency dying down do you think the Patriots will make an effort to extend McCourty and/or Solder?

If one them gets signed the Francise tag becomes an option for the other.

Quarterback: $16.192 million
Running back: $9.54 million
Wide receiver: $12.312 million
Tight end: $7.035 million
Offensive lineman: $11.654 million
Defensive end: $13.116 million
Defensive tackle: $9.654 million
Linebacker: $11.455 million
Cornerback: $11.834 million
Safety: $8.433 million
Kicker/punter: $3.556 million

If the Patriots pick up Solder's option for 2015, he will not become an UFA until 2016. They have until May 3 to do so.

The Pats have a club option with Solder for 2015. I think they need to exercise it soon (in the next few weeks). According to Miguel's site, the option is the average salary of the 3rd through 25th cap figure of offensive linemen in the league for the 2014 season. At the time he wrote it, that dollar figure is $7.3 million and only guaranteed for injury. So the Pats will likely exercise that option.

If the Patriots pick up Solder's option for 2015, he will not become an UFA until 2016. They have until May 3 to do so.

Well, you beat me to it. But I used your words anyway to give my explanation. So we can just say you did a double post.

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the option. That may change things and move McCourty to the front of the line.

I think this option year could be very valuable for the Pats because Solder's concussion history makes me wary of giving him a long term deal. 1 more year at $7mil or so I think is a good situation for both sides because Solder gets a decent paycheck and the Pats can get a better idea of whether or not his medical issue will hinder him in the future before committing to a long term deal. On his play I would absolutely sign him, but the concussion thing always scares me.

McCourty seems like a no brainer to me. He is exactly what the Pats look for and just like Mayo he seems like he is one of the guys they certainly want to keep. I would expect an extension well before he hits free agency.

McCourty seems like a no brainer to me. He is exactly what the Pats look for and just like Mayo he seems like he is one of the guys they certainly want to keep. I would expect an extension well before he hits free agency.

I agree. McCourty has really played well after a sophomore slump. Given that Revis and Browner will be punishing opposing WR's at the LOS next year, McCourty is going to have plenty of opportunities to make big plays next season.

If the Pats had that punishing big hitting SS, like a Milloy or Harrison, then we could have a secondary that is second to none.

PS: With Revis and Browner are making life difficult for the opposing WRs at the LOS, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Jones almost doubles his sack totals next season, if he stays healthy all year.

If anything and they don't work out extensions for both, you make Solder the priorty. Slap the tag on him if they have to and let DMac walk.

That being said, working out an extension for DMac right now would free up cap and we keep a solid player, although he had his least productive season last year. PFF has him as the top rated S in 2013, but that's PFF and nobody's buying that now.

I think he's a 1/2 step below the 4 top FA S this year, so tagging him at 8.5 mil at that position just wouldn't seem worth it IMO, and they've at least begun talks about an extension according to reports.

Solder gave up 10 sacks last year, but It's my hope is he's about to hit his prime and make that jump to Pro-Bowl caliber. The potential is obvious and he hopefully will be the manning that position for the next 5+ years.

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the option. That may change things and move McCourty to the front of the line.

Me neither. That's great news. Well played BB.

Me neither. That's great news. Well played BB.

Haha, can't give BB credit on that one, it's part of the new CBA for all first round picks since 2011. Jones and Hightower will need to be evaluated and exercised next May if they desire to do so. Jones is a no-brainer (would lock him up for the 2016 season).

I expect both players will sign extensions but I think the Patriots will wait until the next off season just because they will have the bigger cap to work with then. That probably means that Solder will have his option exercised and does make the possibility of a Revis extension more likely and with the terrible market for RB I bet they let Vereen and Ridley hit free agency

I think McCourty has been believing some of the BS that has been written about him for the past year or so. I'm sure he's expecting to get a bigger contract than his brother, but if he sticks to that, the Patriots will probably let him walk, especially if Revis' deal is re-done after next year. I don't see any reason to sign him to a long-term deal now. Let him play out his rookie contract and see what happens with Revis after next year.

I think McCourty has been believing some of the BS that has been written about him for the past year or so. I'm sure he's expecting to get a bigger contract than his brother, but if he sticks to that, the Patriots will probably let him walk, especially if Revis' deal is re-done after next year. I don't see any reason to sign him to a long-term deal now. Let him play out his rookie contract and see what happens with Revis after next year.

What makes you believe that?

I think McCourty has been believing some of the BS that has been written about him for the past year or so.

The BS that he is a good safety?

Because that's not BS.

whats the BS about McCourty, im not trying to be an ass I literally mean what is it. He is one of the best FS in the game right now and probably wants to get paid like it.

If you're statistically-inclined:

Passes defensed: 9 (Tied for 78th)
Interceptions: 1
Tackles: 69 (Tied for 58th among dbs)

If you prefer to judge him by what you see, go back and watch the Denver game, and focus on him every single play. A total non-factor in the game. Gave up two deep passes over the the middle. Not a hitter, tackles like a corner, runs around piles. Not a difference-maker in a single game this year.

Not a difference-maker in a single game this year.

Must be weird posting on a Patriots forum when you clearly don't even watch the games.

If you're statistically-inclined:

Passes defensed: 9 (Tied for 78th)
Interceptions: 1
Tackles: 69 (Tied for 58th among dbs)

If you prefer to judge him by what you see, go back and watch the Denver game, and focus on him every single play. A total non-factor in the game. Gave up two deep passes over the the middle. Not a hitter, tackles like a corner, runs around piles. Not a difference-maker in a single game this year.

10- PD
0- INT
32- Tackles
That was Darrelle Revis in 2010. Guess he sucked that year, right?

You really show how little you know when you base safety play off of stats and one game. But then again you are the guy that ran to post negatively about him after two games last year.

Do you also think Eric Berry sucks?

74 Tackles
3 INT
10 PD

He was also beat deep a few times in that Wild Card playoff game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes