• Kindle

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Sapp

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, the defense was poor because:

Green and Thomas were effectively dead weight.

Burgess didn't start "getting it" until way too late.

We had one safety, Meriweather, who's very good in coverage but can't tackle worth a damn (Bodden was better), and another safety, McGowan, who's a stellar tackler but who screwed up coverages so terribly that BB had to bench him for Sanders (same problem McGowan had in Chicago, IIRC). Getting a pair of safeties who can BOTH cover like Meriweather AND tackle like McGowan might make as big an improvement as getting a hotshot pas-rusher would.

Maybe Chung will replace McGowan in 2010. If BB doesn't think so and if Lockett and/or Arrington don't appear to have enough potential, we might see BB take another safety in this year's draft.
The later round Safeties have indeed received long looks.

The later round Safeties have indeed received long looks.

One guy I'd like to see the Pats pick up as a priority free agent is Richard Sherman of Stanford. 6'3"/190. Leading WR as a soph in '07 - 651 yards/4 TDs on 39 catches in 11 games. Only appeared in 5 games in '08 (not sure why). Converted to DB in '09 (pressed into emergency service, as I heard it) - 8 PBU, 2 INT (1 TD), 39 solo tackles/23 assists, 10+ yd avg on 15 punt returns (1TD) in 13 games. He really appeared to be "getting it" coverage-wise toward the end of the season. Seemed like a smart, articulate, eager to do anything asked of him type guy in post-season interviews. Might not have sufficient speed to be a pro corner, but safety might not be out of the question at all. Likely to be a good special-teamer and we know he can catch a bit. The more I think about it, maybe we should lock him up with our #247. :D

Griffen is so inconsistent I doubt he even makes the Pats' draft board.

I hope it's not the same draft board this year that one year had only 25 names - total - on it.

Ive made up my mind and i think the best thing to do would be either trade up and get morgan, or stay put at 22 and take kindle, anthony davis or odrick if they are there, if not trade down a couple spots and take sapp, pouncey, hughes, mathews...

I don't see an edge rusher selected in round one -- and maybe not even in round two. :scared:From the list I'd choose Hughes (good football player/intangibles), but I get the feeling whoever the OLB is, will have to develop his skills before BB throws him into the fire. I'm simply guessing that the pass rush can be addressed in more ways than just adding an OLB. I'm sensing the DL -- specifically the DE position -- will be a priority, as there's room to upgrade from Wright and the departed Green.

BB plays situational/rotational football, and by adding high-effort, non-stop motor players as part of the rotation, the pass rush will be upgraded (which is all anyone wants). We'd like to upgrade from TBC, Woods, Ninkovich, and Burgess, but I doubt BB is willing to put all of his eggs in one basket on one rookie edge rusher, when his ultimate goal is to improve the overall pass rush.

There are some very worthy OLB prospects after round two. Not what the fans are hoping for, but BB may opt this way -- or not. :confused2:

I don't see an edge rusher selected in round one -- and maybe not even in round two. :scared:From the list I'd choose Hughes (good football player/intangibles), but I get the feeling whoever the OLB is, will have to develop his skills before BB throws him into the fire. I'm simply guessing that the pass rush can be addressed in more ways than just adding an OLB. I'm sensing the DL -- specifically the DE position -- will be a priority, as there's room to upgrade from Wright and the departed Green.

you are correct. the pats will draft a DE in the first round to replace Seymour and Green. Right now, we have a front 3 of pryor-Wilfork-Warren. I'm not sold on pryor being a starter. I expect Jared Odrick to be picked. He is a good tackler and can play a 5 technique DE in a 3-4, which is what the pats need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3