Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Kindle

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Sapp

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that the combine numbers for that nobody from Troy, Demarcus Ware, turned out to mean everything. Drafting is tricky that way.

Combine numbers give you a bit of a picture as to the athlete they are but they don't tell you if the guy is a football player, there have been plenty of guys who have been great football players with less than exceptional athletic ability. An exceptional football player who is also an exceptional athlete is something to behold.

And consequently...last year's defense sucked.

If you think the defense sucked because the linebackers were 6'2 instead of 6'3 or 6'4 then I've got a bridge to sell you. Here's a hint, the defense sucking might have had something to do with losing Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, and Mayo being injured.

I voted Graham just to even it up but Id be happy with either.

There's nothing really to relax though. To successfully run a 2 gap 3-4, OLBs have to be strong enough to stand up blockers and tall enough to see over them/read the play. I don't think he'll drop the prototype as long as he keeps using the 2 gap 3-4.

They have to be able to set the edge against the run, pressure the passer and play a read-react style.

I don't care how big/skinny/tall/short they are as long as they can do those three things.

Graham has exactly the skillset and personality the Pats need. I know he's short, but he plays so well I don't think it will matter in the end. I like Hughes, though he has the same size problems as Graham. Kindle has excellent burst and quickness, and he's stronger than he looks, but I wonder if he has the bulk to hold up as an edge-setter in the NFL. Of the three I think Graham would be the best fit for the Pats, followed by Kindle.

Of the 3, any bets that NONE of them end up in a Pats uni next year? :(

I hope I'm wrong !

Me too. I've been a huge Hughes advocate throughout the process, but when I did up my value board, Graham ended up on top.

Here's the quandry: Graham will likely be the better 3 down player. However, this team needs a pass rush like Dr. Doofelshmitz needs Perry the Platypus. And Hughes figures to be the better pass rusher.

I'm still tweaking with my value chart, as the last mock exercise pointed out some potential flaws, but for now at #22, I've got to go with Graham.

I'll take Graham, but I almost think NE could get him in the second, and Sapp has the potential at OLB to warrent a selection in the second, or third round, but he's got some red flags that could knock him down the board.

I'm wondering, if Pierre-Paul slipped (seeing him projected as a top 10-15 pick), would anyone on here like the idea of NE selecting him?

Last edited:
I'll take Graham, but I almost think NE could get him in the second, and Sapp has the potential at OLB to warrent a selection in the second, or third round, but he's got some red flags that could knock him down the board.

I'm wondering, if Pierre-Paul slipped (seeing him projected as a top 10-15 pick), would anyone on here like the idea of NE selecting him?

Welcome back, Seb; don't be a stranger.

I don't think there's any way that Brandon Graham lasts until 44, unless you're considering a trade-down to the top of the 2nd in exchange for a couple of mid-round (3-5) picks. I wouldn't object to that, esp. if Maurkice Pouncey is gone before 22.

JPP is intriguing, but obviously very raw still. Will we - or Bill - be patient enough to wait until maybe halfway - or longer - through his rookie contract before we see any significant results? I don't know if I'd pull the trigger; I really don't.

Last edited:
What, no mention of Everson Griffen? I suppose I can understand that some view him as a Gholston redux, but I think he's going to be great.

As for numbers: Everson Griffen 6-3 5/8, 270, 4.59, 4.3 20-yard shuttle, 7.12 3-cone, 32 bench, 34 vertical (some scouts had him as low as 4.46, according to Scout.com: USC Pro Day Recap ). Exceptional numbers, especially for a man that big.

Earlier this evening I posted a few thoughts on Griffen on another Patriots board. I'll duplicate them here:

People are far too quick to judge. Remember, Griffen is a junior in college, not a fully matured adult; if he's struggled with his attitude in the past, or not always taken football seriously, why do we condemn him for it if he's shown evidence of growing up? In all his interviews this year, he's mentioned that getting benched last year was a big wake up call. Further, he goes on to talk about how his new position coach has helped him grow up off the field, as well as improve his play on the gridiron. Evaluate him on who he is, not on the aggregate of his past.

Oh, and does the fact that he was benched for a rookie pro bowler count as a mitigating factor? :p

The fact of the matter is that he was solidly productive this year, despite playing on both sides of the line and switching between standing up and playing with his hand in the dirt. Sometimes he dropped into coverage. Other times he was supposed to maintain contain instead of just all out rushing. His hustle improved immensely. He's always chasing plays down, even if they go to the opposite side of the field. He's pretty decent in coverage, and will only get better with good coaching and improvements in his technique. He also dedicated himself to the weight and film rooms in this past year, and worked hard to actually understand the defensive concepts, not simply run around on the field.

Check out a transcript of an interview from the combine:

Add in his impressive physical skills (6'3.5" #270 4.59), his agility and experience in space, his excellent strength against the run, and his ability to create on his own as a passrusher (he's not just a blitzer), and he's the total package. In fact, I believe he ought to be our primary target in the first round. He's exactly what this team needs on the left side. Besides, USC defensive players have an astounding track record in the last few years.

Speaking of which, did we forget that Willie Mac played at the same school and position? I see Everson Griffen as his modern day replacement, which we've lacked on this roster for half a decade. Let's bring him in and give him the ol' 55 so he can join the lineage of great USC linebackers (Willie, Seau) who have played in NE.

The only question with this guy is "is his head right? If the answer is yes, he is a monster and I agree. His measuables and his production(at USC, NFL AAA team) are extemely impressive.

The only question with this guy is "is his head right? If the answer is yes, he is a monster and I agree. His measuables and his production(at USC, NFL AAA team) are extemely impressive.
Makes you wonder why he isn't a consensus 1st round pick.

reamer made a great case and Griffen intrigues me greatly but I really worry about the reports of him coasting and being great not being that important to him. I may be wrong but after the Thomas fiasco I suspect Belichick is putting a greater emphasis on getting players he really wants on the team, guys who won't resist working, coming in early and staying late. I bet he wants more Mayos, even if he loses a little ability to do so, and I'm nervous about whether that is what Griffen is. He intrigues the heck out of me though.

If he had gotten benched by Nick Saban, then that would be one thing. But getting benched by Pete Carroll is scary. I get the feeling that Carroll would be perfectly fine playing Pacman Jones.

If he had gotten benched by Nick Saban, then that would be one thing. But getting benched by Pete Carroll is scary. I get the feeling that Carroll would be perfectly fine playing Pacman Jones.

So the fact that he got benched for Clay Matthews, Pro Bowler, doesn't change your feelings any?

So the fact that he got benched for Clay Matthews, Pro Bowler, doesn't change your feelings any?
Wow, Clay Matthews was a Pro-Bowler at USC?

The fact Ev got benched "twice" in favor of a converted Safety/Special Teamer says something, at minimum it says you might want to be convinced he's the second coming of Lawrence Taylor before you guarantee him a few million in the first.

If you think the defense sucked because the linebackers were 6'2 instead of 6'3 or 6'4 then I've got a bridge to sell you. Here's a hint, the defense sucking might have had something to do with losing Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, and Mayo being injured.
Their defense sucked because there wasn't anybody better on their team to replace them. Even if they still had Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison, their defense still would've sucked because they were over the hill.

Their defense sucked because there wasn't anybody better on their team to replace them. Even if they still had Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison, their defense still would've sucked because they were over the hill.

So you're saying that the reason for the suckage wasn't their height?;)

The fact Ev got benched "twice" in favor of a converted Safety/Special Teamer says something, at minimum it says you might want to be convinced he's the second coming of Lawrence Taylor before you guarantee him a few million in the first.

Griffen is so inconsistent I doubt he even makes the Pats' draft board.

This is funny and accurate at the same time. Griffen's hallmark reputation is his lack of drive and inconsistency. The Pats need footballers with passion. I put Dunlap in this same category, btw. Physical ability without physicality, no thanks.

IMHO, the defense was poor because:

Green and Thomas were effectively dead weight.

Burgess didn't start "getting it" until way too late.

We had one safety, Meriweather, who's very good in coverage but can't tackle worth a damn (Bodden was better), and another safety, McGowan, who's a stellar tackler but who screwed up coverages so terribly that BB had to bench him for Sanders (same problem McGowan had in Chicago, IIRC). Getting a pair of safeties who can BOTH cover like Meriweather AND tackle like McGowan might make as big an improvement as getting a hotshot pas-rusher would.

Maybe Chung will replace McGowan in 2010. If BB doesn't think so and if Lockett and/or Arrington don't appear to have enough potential, we might see BB take another safety in this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back