PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what is the WR depth chart now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Temporary WR Solution

How about simply playing more two TE / two WR sets and leaving it at that. The Pats have two solid TE's that have been underutilized because of the excellence of both Welker and Moss, now they'll have a chance at seeing more action come their way.
I'll be stunned if we don't do that a lot more than we have been. With 2 good TE, Moss, Edelman and the ton of RB we have, we could have a very good, though different, offense.

Re: Temporary WR solution

Two Words: Chad Jackson.

Please post stats comparing our aweful 2009 passing offense to that of other teams.

the pats have really done a bad job this yr at depth @ the WR position. both galloway and lewis turned out be busts and they thrust aiken in to playing time. tate injury didnt help either.

I can't believe that I just read someone try to make a case for starting cornerbacks (one of them a rookie) as wide receivers in the Erhardt-Perkins style of offense. :eek: :rofl:

Please consult this thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../285113-i-want-someone-explain-me-detail.html

...for reasons on why it's so hard for veteran guys like Joey Galloway to pick it up (much less guys that have been playing cornerback since their freshmen years in college). Unfortunately, we have no choice but to go with what we've got. At this point, it would have been a huge benefit to us to have simplified the offense for Galloway and allowed him to run routes that he was comfortable with and learn on a week to week basis. At least we would have had another deep threat on the other side of Moss while still having an Edelman in the slot to make up for the loss of Welker.

Hopefully we'll see some production out of Stanback (more than we saw when he was in the starting line-up at points this year) as well as single coverage on Edelman and increased reliance on the tight ends, both of whom are capable of getting open. Hopefully, the O-Line is 100% going into this weekend, because we're going to need Watson and Baker running routes, not blocking.

Last edited:

I really don't care about production from Stanback. What matters is production from our top current set of 5 receivers: Moss, Edelman, Watson, Faulk and Baker. Add Taylor and Morris and Brady has plenty of targets.

This is NOT a terrible situation. I believe that Watson and Faulk have been our #3 and #4 receiver for years now. I do expect to see more passes to Moss over the middle in key situations. Withh welker gone, Moss needs to take up some slack as the go-to guy.

I really don't care about production from Stanback. What matters is production from our top current set of 5 receivers: Moss, Edelman, Watson, Faulk and Baker. Add Taylor and Morris and Brady has plenty of targets.

This is NOT a terrible situation. I believe that Watson and Faulk have been our #3 and #4 receiver for years now. I do expect to see more passes to Moss over the middle in key situations. Withh welker gone, Moss needs to take up some slack as the go-to guy.

It's going to be kind of hard to do that. Moss will go from being double covered to now being possibly triple covered in the postseason. Opponents are going to do the smart thing and make the Pats beat them with their other options. In this case, it would be smart to use Moss as the decoy and take those two or three guys with him. Watson should be used as another deep threat and we should let Stanback, Edelman, and Baker roam the middle of the field while Maroney and Morris clean up on the underneath/checkdown routes. I do not want to see Taylor used too much in the passing game. Maroney and Morris are more suited to do work in the open field.

If Baker is being relied on for significant receiving production between the 20's, you can probably fold the tent up right now.

At this point, it would have been a huge benefit to us to have simplified the offense for Galloway and allowed him to run routes that he was comfortable with and learn on a week to week basis. At least we would have had another deep threat on the other side of Moss while still having an Edelman in the slot to make up for the loss of Welker.

I agree 100% with this.

Take the interception that Brady launched Aiken's way yesterday, while it was an awful throw and decision, a guy faster than Aiken could've caught up to that and broken it up. Galloway is still lightning fast compared to Sam Aiken. About once per game they throw that go route to Aiken, and it's failed everytime with the exception of his one TD catch against Miami.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes