PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what is the WR depth chart now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Temporary WR Solution

I'm surprised that no UConn fans have jumped in on this discussion.

Normally I'd be one of the people calling Daedulus' suggestion crazy.

But then I know that Butler HAS experience at WR, as he played both ways at UConn a lot. He has nice hands and is a playmaker, and were it not for the fact that he was the KR, CB on a team that ran the ball constantly, with a beow par QB who couldn't throw (to put it mildly) I'm sure he would have been used more at WR in college.

This was at UConn where the WRs weren't great, but when he was in there, he was the best of them, target #1. Now, they have had QBing this year, and one of the guys he starred over is gaining noticed all over college football, and he will be drafted highly (Marcus Easley). Last year, Butler was better than him at WR.

Would he know any routes and have any sync with Brady? No, you can't expect that. But he might give you more than you'd expect from say Stanback.

Then again, Butler looked great yesterday at CB and after Bodden and Springs, we could use him there.

This makes some sense. Many have been calling for the Pats to have more variety and creativity at offense all year. This certainly should force it. So what *should* the Pats offense look like next week? More screen passes to RBs and short reads to the TE?

Whatever they do will have to be something already built into their system. We've seen them work from heavier sets, and I saw the Broncos use 3TE quite a bit in a couple games I saw them play earlier in the season - and that's basically our offense. So I think the ability to adapt and do something new - yet within the existing offense - is there.

Just give Butler a few routes. It's an emergency, he doesn't need to swallow the play book. He catches one pass and takes off like he did on that interception and no one is going to give him a quiz afterwards.:eek:

I'd rather use Faulk and Watson in the WR role before I used Butler or another CB. We have plenty of RBs and TEs so moving an experienced guy to WR would be a best bet also causing match up issues.

Re: Temporary WR solution

You do that and you're going to get more false starts than receptions out of them.

C.J. Jones
Bam Childress
Reche Caldwell
Troy Brown?

But if Watson ran his mouth, he'd likely get benched. That's not really the "Patriots Way".

You would think that Watson would be more assertive or outspoken about being more involved in the offense. I mean seeing as he's supposed to be playing for a new contract. Look at Banta-Cain... He's in a contract year too.

Ideally...

Moss
Watson
Edelman
Faulk
Baker
Aiken

Reality...

Moss
Edelman
Faulk
The sound of crickets chirping...

There is more to beng a wide receiver than having good hands, or Chad jackson and Bethel Johnson would be all-Pro's. Guys don't learn to make reads and adjustments in 6 days. What you are asking for are massive INTs where QB and WR are not on the same page.

Whatever, this is a dumb thread, full of "I don;t know - let's just try this out and see what happens" silliness. THat's fine for the pre-season. The playoffs aren't the time to try things out to see if they work.

The playoffs are for surviving and moving on, whatever tricks or nonsense you have to pull out. It is true that success is less likely when you have things established than when you have to try new things though. But I wonder if the Pats will work hard at practice this week at integrating Watson more into the passing game.

There is more to beng a wide receiver than having good hands, or Chad jackson and Bethel Johnson would be all-Pro's. Guys don't learn to make reads and adjustments in 6 days. What you are asking for are massive INTs where QB and WR are not on the same page.

Whatever, this is a dumb thread, full of "I don;t know - let's just try this out and see what happens" silliness. THat's fine for the pre-season. The playoffs aren't the time to try things out to see if they work.

Look at Banta-Cain... He's in a contract year too.

Um, no. Banta-Cain signed an extension through 2011 in October.

How about simply playing more two TE / two WR sets and leaving it at that. The Pats have two solid TE's that have been underutilized because of the excellence of both Welker and Moss, now they'll have a chance at seeing more action come their way.

Yeah - that's sensible.

I'd rather use Faulk and Watson in the WR role before I used Butler or another CB. We have plenty of RBs and TEs so moving an experienced guy to WR would be a best bet also causing match up issues.

Maroney, Bodden, and Butler at WR? This isn't Madden.

More realistically, when we go 5-wide, we'll use Moss, Edelman, Aiken, Faulk, and Watson.

Maroney, Bodden, and Butler at WR? This isn't Madden.

More realistically, when we go 5-wide, we'll use Moss, Edelman, Aiken, Faulk, and Watson.

Aiken might be out, too, given the injury he suffered at the end of yesterday's game on Brady's INT.

So I'd replace Aiken with Baker. Which has the added bonus of when the Pats trot out 2 TEs, the defense is probably going to counter with a base defense. We can then spread those 2 TEs out, and get them on slower LBs, and use that as a mismatch. If the D does not counter with a base defense, but leaves a 5th DB on the field, then we run on them.

Frankly, our TEs should be a potential mismatch against whatever coverage they face. A CB is too small and an LB is too slow to cover either Baker or Watson. Certain safeties have the size/speed combination to cover them, but we have to start seeing the TEs becoming weapons even more now that the WR depth chart is so thin.

Last edited:

Watson is a potentially fast and dangerous weapon. But he has never panned out to what many prognosticators thought would happen. So that suggests he is unlikely to turn into Dallas Clark in a week. But he could play a bigger role and a productive one at that.

Aiken might be out, too, given the injury he suffered at the end of yesterday's game on Brady's INT.

So I'd replace Aiken with Baker. Which has the added bonus of when the Pats trot out 2 TEs, the defense is probably going to counter with a base defense. We can then spread those 2 TEs out, and get them on slower LBs, and use that as a mismatch. If the D does not counter with a base defense, but leaves a 5th DB on the field, then we run on them.

Frankly, our TEs should be a potential mismatch against whatever coverage they face. A CB is too small and an LB is too slow to cover either Baker or Watson. Certain safeties have the size/speed combination to cover them, but we have to start seeing the TEs becoming weapons even more now that the WR depth chart is so thin.

How about simply playing more two TE / two WR sets and leaving it at that. The Pats have two solid TE's that have been underutilized because of the excellence of both Welker and Moss, now they'll have a chance at seeing more action come their way.

I pray the coaching staff shares your sagacity.

Yeah, Brady's been untouched the last few years.

Get back to me when a QB taking fewer than 20 sacks isn't a good thing.

There is also Darnell Jenkins who is on the Pats practice squad. He could be activated.. or they could activate Myers... Or they could sign someone..We'll have to wait and see.

Dont know a thing about Jenkins...can someone fill us in?

the pats have really done a bad job this yr at depth @ the WR position. both galloway and lewis turned out be busts and they thrust aiken in to playing time. tate injury didnt help either.

I pray the coaching staff shares your sagacity.

Seeing BB's offensive gameplan on Sunday is going incredibly interesting. Whatever he comes up with is going to be the difference in winning or losing that game.

If we can beat the Ravens, then get a healthy Aiken back as the #3, then there's no emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots