tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Moss
Edelman
Aiken
Stanback
Slater?

Is that it? Did I miss someone? Anyone on the practice squad? I know Nunn got snagged by TB ...

It looked like Aiken got dinged at the end of the game. Any word on that? Did he come back in?

Obviously the team is very thin now at WR, as it has been all year behind Moss/WW. I'm imagining we'll see a very TE-heavy gameplan next week ... Zack Miller had a decent game vs. Ravens ...

1. Moss
2. Edelman
3. Kevin Faulk
4. Kevin Faulk
5. Bill Belichick

Moss
Edelman
Aiken (injured late @ HOU - appeared to be an arm injury when trying to tackle Pollard on INT)
Stanback
Slater
Darnell Jenkins (PS)

Last edited:
It is an excellent question. I posted elsewhere that I think they are shorthanded. And Aiken injured his shoulder and did not return (not that he gives us much at WR). And Stanback and Slater have given us less. I am disappointed that the FO never found a WR to put opposite Moss, but no help is coming this year folks. Consequently, I don't think we have the personnel to play spread (as we tried to do today--miserably). I would play 2 TEs or 2 RBs most of the time. If the safeties cheat (and they have a good one), Moss has to burn it down.

It is an excellent question. I posted elsewhere that I think they are shorthanded. And Aiken injured his shoulder and did not return (not that he gives us much at WR). And Stanback and Slater have given us less. I am disappointed that the FO never found a WR to put opposite Moss, but no help is coming this year folks. Consequently, I don't think we have the personnel to play spread (as we tried to do today--miserably). I would play 2 TEs or 2 RBs most of the time. If the safeties cheat (and they have a good one), Moss has to burn it down.

Tough to put any positive spin on losing a player of WW caliber, but I agree it will def. force the team to play less spread, and frankly, they have been most effective this season when mixing up the run/pass more and playing Brady behind center vs. dictating "We are passing" by going 4/5 wide with no RB. I'm thinking great first drive vs. Saints, the Atlanta game, Jaguars game.

Moss and Sain and pray for rain

Maroney will be the key to playoff success.

Randy Moss
Julian Edelman
Sam Aiken
Isaiah Stanback
Matt Slater

As for as the passing hierarchy...

Randy Moss
Julian Edelman
Kevin Faulk
Benjamin Watson
Sam Aiken
Sammy Morris
and whoever the hell else is open

So yeah, this team needs to run, run, and run the ball some more...

Maroney will be the key to playoff success.

Agree 100%. I know the recent fumbles stand out, but he's been a lot more good than bad lately. And maybe with them so thin at WR they will actually design pass plays for him, considering just about every time he catches a pass good things happen.

Pass rushers around the league are in mourning.

Given how they'd been getting completely shut out for weeks prior to this game, I doubt it.

Moss
Edelman
Aiken (injured late @ HOU - appeared to be an arm injury when trying to tackle Pollard on INT)
Stanback
Slater
Darnell Jenkins (PS)

What is with this Pollard guy? We gotta sign him and just keep him inactive!

I wonder if they're going to bring in anyone in this week for a work out

STANBACK!

He will lead the Patriots to the promised land. I believe in the Stan!

Not sure about WR. But if you listen closely, there is a clanging sound in air--the metallic hands of Ben Watson are clapping and ready to lead us to the promised land!

On a more serious note, Edelman will catch 10+ balls per game. But there is only one Wes. . .

I'm sure Bill could suit up and use all his enraged energy and stiff arm every defender for a touchdown every reception.

There is also Darnell Jenkins who is on the Pats practice squad. He could be activated.. or they could activate Myers... Or they could sign someone..We'll have to wait and see.

I'm guessing there will be some more 1-RB/2-TE or 2-RB/1-TE sets, with Moss and Edelman as the two receivers. Aiken is still the third receiver, but I wouldn't expect his play time to change much at all. Edelman takes Welker's snaps, with a little bit more reliance on Faulk, the other running backs, and the tight ends.

In other words, not a drastic change other than Edelman replacing Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes