PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So now that you've seen the defense for a half season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marqui

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
How do you now feel about the Seymour trade? Personally, I think it was a great long term investment that hasn't even really hurt the Pats much right now. Pats D is top 5 in points allowed (last time I checked), and the D in general has played well enough to keep the team in every single game. I guess we'll know even more after playing Indy and NO, but as of now how do you feel about the trade?

How do you now feel about the Seymour trade? Personally, I think it was a great long term investment that hasn't even really hurt the Pats much right now. Pats D is top 5 in points allowed (last time I checked), and the D in general has played well enough to keep the team in every single game. I guess we'll know even more after playing Indy and NO, but as of now how do you feel about the trade?

we won't know until we play teams like indy and New Orleans. there is no doubt that seymour would have made us even better. the fact that he's in oakland is his own fault. guys like him don't want paycuts but they want to play on top caliber teams. you can't have everything.

we won't know until we play teams like indy and New Orleans. there is no doubt that seymour would have made us even better. the fact that he's in oakland is his own fault. guys like him don't want paycuts but they want to play on top caliber teams. you can't have everything.

You think they asked him to take a paycut or just traded him because it was the last year of his contract and he's getting up there in age?

You think they asked him to take a paycut or just traded him because it was the last year of his contract and he's getting up there in age?

I don't think they asked him to take a paycut. I think, though, that the Pats knew that Seymour would only take top dollar, and as such decided they probably wouldn't retain him anyways. So they traded him.

I don't think they asked him to take a paycut. I think, though, that the Pats knew that Seymour would only take top dollar, and as such decided they probably wouldn't retain him anyways. So they traded him.

Do not think it is about a paycut, but something happened behind closed doors we may or may not find out about... it was a very drastic action...

Our D is fine, young and fast...it will have some very good tests in the upcoming weeks, continued to be impressed with our secondary.. nice not to see them chasing WR's down the sideline..

I still don't like the trade, but talking about my reasons why would be more or less beating a dead horse at this point, so I'll spare you all :p

I still don't like the trade, but talking about my reasons why would be more or less beating a dead horse at this point, so I'll spare you all :p

Don't worry.... someone will make the same thread next week.

We've been missing Seymour the most in the running game. That side of our defensive line used to be sealed off against the run. That hasn't nearly been the case this season (with the exception of yesterday).

For those of us saying that we can't be sure until this week, why? In his career, Seymour has never sacked Manning. Please explain your reasons.

We've been missing Seymour the most in the running game. That side of our defensive line used to be sealed off against the run. That hasn't nearly been the case this season (with the exception of yesterday).

For those of us saying that we can't be sure until this week, why? In his career, Seymour has never sacked Manning. Please explain your reasons.

IIRC, our best beat down of Manning in the 2004 playoffs was without Seymour. I do agree with your point on the running game though, fortunately our DBs have really stepped up.

IIRC, our best beat down of Manning in the 2004 playoffs was without Seymour. I do agree with your point on the running game though, fortunately our DBs have really stepped up.

Yesterday was the first time I've seen that side of the line almost completely sealed off against the run. Not completely though. ALMOST. Let's not forget that the huge run that Pat White ripped off (which ultimately led to Ricky Williams' touchdown in the first half) came right where Seymour would have been.

Seymour who? - Never heard of him :confused: :cool:

Not having Jarvis Green hurts against Manning - Green was dominating when up against Manning many times in the playoffs.

Didn't we have a thread like this after 4 weeks? Come back in January.

Personally, I've always liked Seymour, and I hope that next year he'll be able to find a team that's a good compromise in terms of the money they're willing to offer, and the type of scheme and surrounding talent that can best feature Sey's skill-set. Unfortunately, the Pats aren't that team on either the salary or scheme fronts.

While the D would certainly be that much better with Seymour in it, I think this is a trade you have be happy with for two reasons. Firstly, in an increasingly pass-oriented NFL, there are fewer snaps a game where you'll want three big linemen like Warren, Wilfork and Seymour all on the field at once. This somewhat diminishes the returns from having the kind of DT depth we've enjoyed for a while.

This leads into the second, which is that the Patriots clearly weren't going to be able to resign both Seymour and Wilfork, and with Wilfork being younger, healthier, and happier in the Pats' system, he's clearly the guy you want to keep. In return for losing Seymour a year earlier, we get some added cap room to help w/ a Wilfork extension, and a likely very early 2011 pick with which to get the next Wilfork/Warren/Seymour type lineman.

Of course, this all depends on our getting Wilfork inked to an extension before he hits FA.

Yesterday was the first time I've seen that side of the line almost completely sealed off against the run. Not completely though. ALMOST. Let's not forget that the huge run that Pat White ripped off (which ultimately led to Ricky Williams' touchdown in the first half) came right where Seymour would have been.

Coincidently they had Wilfork out there in Seymour's spot.

I saw that. Was Wilfork lined up at DE at all after that?

He was lined up there most of the game because the Fins have a tendency for left side run plays.

seymour was the pats best passrusher there best run stoper and the only defensive player that could drew a double team

but i think the D has played good a nuff to get win's and that's all we need right now

and when you think about who the player's are on the D there number's look even better

TBC the 49ers cast off is the pats best passrusher right now with 3 sack's

the lions cast off Leigh Bodden maybe the pats best corner

so they have done a good job so far

but they are 20th vs the run

and i dont think the DB's are as good as we think they are the last 3 team's they faced

titans 26th in passing

bucks 23rd in passing

the fish 29th in passing

when they did faced a team with good WR's they give up 330 yerd's to Kyle Orton

as far as geting a first round pick in 2 year's for seymour every one say's in the long run its a good move yes

but in 2 year's moss and brady will be 34

so if seymour made the pats go from a good playoff team to a SB team i would take 1 year of seymour over a first round pick

cause we all know once brady is done all the first round pick's in the world will not make the pats a SB team

so we got 3 maybe 4 more year's of brady i would like to see at lest one more SB in that time

The defense has not given up more than 17 points in regulation in any game. Color me impressed.

The defense has not given up more than 17 points in regulation in any game. Color me impressed.

if we can say that in 4 weeks, color me astounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday