• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogamedogz

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Discuss.. :popcorn:

Last edited:
I voted for WEEI cuz I don't know how to get The Hub through iTunes. ;)

Hub. Even though I don't respect Felgie, my reason is simple. Can't get EEI well on my AM radio while Hub comes in fine. Only times I got reception on EEI they were talking baseball, not that the Hub doesn't talk boring Sox talk, just not as often.

I can't stand the Big-O Show.
The same adolescent garbage day after day.

I only listen to morning and late afternoon shows. Rarely the 10-2 slot (although I like Holley a lot).

The Hub's morning show makes me want to vomit. It's not a sports show at all. It's more like a bunch of frat boys/latent homosexuals having a barside conversation and stroking their own ....egos. HATE IT. How anyone can listen to that garbage is beyond me.

I actually enjoy the Hub's late afternoon show with Felger an Mazz a little more than the Big O and company.

Last edited:
I only listen to morning and late afternoon shows. Rarely the 10-2 slot (although I like Holley a lot).

The Hub's morning show makes me want to vomit. It's not a sports show at all. It's more like a bunch of frat boys/latent homosexuals having a barside conversation and stroking their own ....egos. HATE IT. How anyone can listen to that garbage is beyond me.

I actually enjoy the Hub's late afternoon show with Felger an Mazz a little more than the Big O and company.

+1 on everything you said. Hub's morning show is absolute crap!

I admit, I'm a creature of habit w/ EEI.

I listen to D&C b/c I don't like 98.5 morning show. I tried 98.5...just don't like it.

For the mid-day and drive-home, I'll alternate pre-sets or throw in the iPod.

Although I don't listen to him much, I like what I hear from AD. He seems pretty informed and level-headed- unlike Adams who I just don't find funny anymore.

WEEI is best from 10-2 and sometimes on weekends, yesterday Tom E. Curran was on in the AM and was outstanding...sometimes the Big O is good, really enjoy Max... when they have on Perillo and Chris Gasper it gets really good... the nice thing about the radio is there is always rock n roll.

BTW do not get the HUB in RI, but get the pregame show on Sun AM..cannot stand or stomach Gresch...

Last edited:
I'll abstain from voting. I think I listen to 98.5 a little more, but there are things I like and hate about both stations. Here are my run downs per time period:

Mornings

I really don't like either morning shows and tend to listen to satellite radio in the morning more than either. I will give D&C an edge since I listen to Boomer, Brady, and Schefter segments of their show on a regular basis.

Middays

I listen to the station based on the subject matter. If the Hub is talking football and WEEI isn't (happens a lot since they counterprogram each other), I listen to the Hub and visa versa. I personally don't care for either Dale Arnold or Gary Tanguay, but I like both Zo and Michael Holley. I would say my listening habits for this time period is close to 50-50.

Afternoon

I listen to Felger and Mazz more eventhough it is a flawed show. I hate Pete Sheppard more than any regular on either station. His homer baffoonery is a waste of my time. I hate the Big Show's practice of putting on their moron regulars (Dakota from Braintree, Steve from Fall River) or fans of other teams only to ridicule their moronic statements. They have even started to use Dakota's moronic statements in prerecorded bits. I also hate how they tend to dumb down the conversation. They have turned Fred Smerlas from a pretty good analysis to a mink wearing homer baffoon one rung less moronic than Pete Sheppard.

Now it doesn't mean Felger and Mazz have been good in their own right. They have just been better than the Big Show. They still both have irrational negativity towards the local teams at time and make stupid assertions. I will give them some credit that many times they do their contrarian acts, they do keep my interest even if I want to ring their necks at times.

Night

Not even close. Damon Amendolara is the best thing on 98.5 on my opinion. He has real sports talk without the BS that most of the shows have. For an out of towner, he is more knowledgable than most of the local guys who have been here for years.

Mike Adams is.... well, Mike Adams. I can't stand him. He does have his cult following though. Too much baseball. Too much silliness.

Everyone is saying it is better..or MOST..but..I don't see it that way....
D&C...T&R...BOTH are terrible...not into the frat boy humor...I'd rather listen to Mike and Mike and at least have a CHANCE to hear some sports talk...REAL ta;lk..and once in awhile some good guests...
Dale and Holly vs Tanguay and Zo...I might listen to both of these back and forth..probably some good sports talk..the best of teh day is here...I still think Dale is weak and Tanguay is annoying..but the other two carry the shows with comments.
Big Show vs Mazz and Felgie...Neither is that great Felger is horrible..wasted space..he may TALK football but when ons is such a contrarian..why bother to listen to chalk on the blackboard..The Big Show is annoying, but..one can go back and forth and it's NOT that bad..Felger is too much what I think is poor radio and know it all who knows zilch..so there is a real factor of some talk being OK..and then idiot talk that makes it bad.
DA vs Mikie...Here..I like DA..but it's NOT all that much better...
Conclusion..real sports talk is rare..the entertainment aspect has made what WAS REAL sports talk of decades ago a diamond in the rough...hard to find.
If they had a better afternoon lineup I would saay the Hub was ahead..but Felger brings it all down..One not all that much better..which is a big disappointment. In some ways they both suck...

For me it's the Sports Hub, and it's not even really close. For all the griping about the morning show, while frat humor isn't for anyone, I don't care one bit about politics, and even if I did, I wouldn't listen to a sports station to get my information. I like that they do a fantasy football segment, and have the Bruins interviews. Obviously Brady being on D&C is a plus for them, but I'm usually at work before that segment even starts. So if you're commuting from 7:30 to 8:30, all you're going to hear on WEEI is politics, sports flashes and commercials.

The one slot that I think WEEI is better is Dale and Holley. I can't stand Zolak. But it doesn't matter much because I'm probably in my car for 15 minutes a week during that time.

Afternoon Drive and Evening are solidly sports hub. Ordway and his band of "celebrity" callers are automatically worse than any sports station that has a signal. Amendolara is a big time advantage over Mike Adams when it comes to everything but sports and music from the 70's.

I'll abstain from voting. I think I listen to 98.5 a little more, but there are things I like and hate about both stations. Here are my run downs per time period:

I pretty much agree with everything you said here word for word.

To sum up, for me:

Mornings - A toss up, neither show really delivers.

Mid-day - Again, a toss up, this time both are pretty good and I'll go strictly by who is talking Pats or Celts as opposed to boring, tired Sox talk. I am a big Holley fan, so maybe EEI gets the edge there.

Afternoon - Huge edge to 98.5 here. I think Felger & Mazz is a remarkably good show for being hosted by one guy I really, really don't like (Mazz) and one guy who is an entertaining guy, but generally a d-bag (Felger). They talk sports, their callers aren't asinine, and they have less commercials. EEI's afternoon show takes callers that should be in mental wards and then scream over them to make themselves feel better about themselves.

I like Dale and Holley for the late morning show, simply because of Holley. Holley's depth of sports knowledge is very impressive. I think Holley's not able to show his complete talent because Dale's knowledge of national sports is clearly lacking. Dale is merely a competent sidekick, has a good voice and is able to simply hold his own with Red Sox and Pats talk.

Felger in the afternoon blows away the Big Show in my book. The Big Show's blind homerism to the Pats is so annoying and of course the collective shouting is really irritating. I normally like to listen to sports shows where it's either one or two guys on the program. When there's a zillion people on the program, that's when the show gets out of control, it becomes a circus.

Last edited:
Hub. Even though I don't respect Felgie, my reason is simple. Can't get EEI well on my AM radio while Hub comes in fine. Only times I got reception on EEI they were talking baseball, not that the Hub doesn't talk boring Sox talk, just not as often.

YUP, EEI is sketchy in Manchester in my car. Also, the hub talks the Pats so much better. I think Zo is great. Listening to someone who actually played has to count for something.

Last edited:

Did you try 95.9 fm?

Did you try 95.9 fm?

Doesn't come in at all here near the seacoast. 98.5 is clear where I live.

Morning Shows: People have to realize that the programming dynamic is different for morning drive time. Producers are trying for a wider audience so they add comedy and current events to the mix. I can get EEI on the radio in my house so then I do prefer D&C on EEI at that time, especially or almost only when Boomer or Brady are on. Maybe a 'Headline' news comedy segment now and then as Gerry's head explodes.

I agree that Holley is the best of EEI although I do like a few minutes of Steve and Fred somewhat football related comedy in small doses when I can hear it.

I still like Dale & Holley and I tune in when I can. But I get much better reception for 98.5 and they do seem to talk about the Patriots more. And I agree with whoever said DA is the man. I love listening to his show at night.

Anybody in W. Mass get The Hub? If so, where is it on the dial?

1. Dale and Holley
2. Damon Amendolara
3. Felger and Mazz
4. Big Show
5. Zo and Tanguay
6. Toucher and Rich
7. Mike Adams
8. Dennis and Callahan

Best sports show easily is Dale and Holley. If I was interested in listening to something funny I would chose Mike Adams, than Toucher and Rich.

It's is strange that the morning show on 98.5 ended up having a Jets fan as it's host. I had to stop listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN because it was so New York biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore