Welcome to PatsFans.com

So let's take a good look at McCourty, shall we?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by KontradictioN, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Here's his overview, analysis, etc.

Devin McCourty, Rutgers, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Devin McCourty 2010 NFL Combine Results - ESPN

YouTube - Draft Capsule: Devin McCourty
    YouTube - Devin McCourty Touchdown Return: Rutgers Vs UConn
    YouTube - Devin McCourty Highlights
    YouTube - Devin McCourty vs. USF
  2. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    All in all, McCourty appears to be an excellent special teams return man (will it be him or Tate as our returner of the future). On defense, he displays great instincts, excellent closing speed, fluid hips, and the want to tackle and come up in run support. While CB in the first round might have been a a reach, at first glance McCourty looks to be a solid pick for our secondary. With the safety position all but stacked and the CB position having a first rounder join the ranks of Bodden and Butler, I have to think that we're looking at D-Line and LB tomorrow (sprinkle in some hope for Golden Tate).
  3. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

informative post...thanx K
  4. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Such a disappointing pick, passing up Odrick and Bryant to select him. The secondary was one of our strong areas on the roster that includes glaring gaps that need immediate attention. I am still very confused with this pick.

Looking at some mocks, he was projected as a late 2nd or 3rd round pick on average. It would be interesting to see if he would have been available with our 1st 2nd round pick, it wouldnt surprise me if he would still have been. Is anyone else as confused and frustrated as me?
  5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    No problem. It always helps to look at all of the information available. I'm still not that high on the pick but at least it appears that we snagged a good CB/STer.
  6. amazinPats

amazinPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Damned informative stuff! Good homework!
  7. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Bodden and Butler are good, but, as others have noted, CB3 could be upgraded. Perhaps Wilhite/Wheatley/Springs (all under contract for two more seasons) could be traded. . . .
  8. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not at the top of the list for needs for this team though, too many needs that are much more important than the CB position
  9. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Did you watch the draft instead of looking at mocks ? There are no top CB left. There's tons of WR, OLB, etc.

Now, I'm biased as McCourty was my pick (him or Kareem Jackson but Jackson was gone) but in a passing league to get a top CB who loves playing football and is a great ST player - it's a great pick, on paper anyway.
  11. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

As far as BB is concerned, enough to warrant selecting him now as opposed to waiting until later.

[I'll wait until the end of round two before I freak out about the pass rush or lack thereof.]
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#54 Jersey
    I'm not so sure. The CB situation cost us the Saints game, and (with the pass rush) cost us the Colts game. I might even go so far as to say it cost us the Miami game as well.

The problem with our offense was scheme related and it was still one of the top five offenses in the league. The hole with Welker out is a problem for sure, but I was never expecting the draft alone to fix that.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    :confused:

"NOT be a ST" ??? That's what he means by four down, isn't it ? 1st, 2nd, 3rd on defense and 4th on ST.
  14. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Thats the only good thing I can think of is that there are still plenty of quality players out there that fit the needs of the team, and we have 3 picks in the 2nd round. I am not freaking out yet, but am a little confused.
  15. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I can easily understand that. However, just filling needs doesn't always work out.

I've been looking at a lot of the past drafts recently. Look back at all the teams that "filled every need" based on instant reaction and then see how many times you say "Who?" when looking at their picks now. Believe me, it's a lot.

Still a lot of draft left and a lot of picks to make.
  16. Yfz01

Yfz01 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vikings entertained the thought of trading up for him. The Jets wanted him. And the Saints clearly didn't get the guy they wanted (Who wants Robinson?)

No way he would have dropped any further.
  17. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We werent winning the Saints game no matter who was in our secondary, yeah the defense (secondary) probably had a lot to do with the loss to the Colts. The Miami game, that was more on the offense. Way too many 3 and outs in the 2nd half putting too much pressure on the defense.

A pass rush would have helped in all of those games and just helped the defense in general. Adding a pass rusher was definitely the teams biggest need and hopefully it is addressed tomorrow with Kindle
  18. CampPen33

CampPen33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The more I let it sink in, the more I like the guy for what he will bring. I'm still torn on where we got him weighing what was available. I'm sure BB was thinking he could get similar value for other positions of need with the RD 2 picks, or maybe even the potential picks themselves if the fall enough. Seems that CB was the way to go with it seeming to be a hot commodity later in round.
  19. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There are MANY good players left that can help the pass rush... Do you not understand the run on CB and the fact that McCourty has the potential to be a very rare and valuable 4 down player?
  20. Lockdown24

Lockdown24 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

i'm shocked pats fans dislike this pick as much as they do. i'm more than happy the jets got kyle wilson but if the board fell such that we ended up with mccourty, i would have loved that pick as well. my only problem is the pats passed on bryant. if you look at strictly talent, he's probably top 5 along with berry, bradford, suh and mccoy. that said, he'll probably end up as your starting cb opposite bodden so I don't get all this uproar...
  21. patsfan1251

patsfan1251 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Im torn if i could have any player in the draft it would have been Dez Bryant. We picked up a ST'er...in the first round at that....How well did the brilliant Matthew Slater project work out again?
  22. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yes, I do know there are plenty of players left that can help the pass rush, I am not freaking out yet. Just a bit confused.

Just another homer comment from you, did you really ever even consider the Pats picking him, even taking a CB in round 1? You are acting like he is the next Revis
  23. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Or late first-rounder, both as pick and as value, on the sites I saw.

One mock had him going at #20.
  24. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Let me rephrase... "not be JUST a ST."
  25. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Do some research, goodness. Who the hell told you McCourty was only a special teams player? That person is an idiot.
  26. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Right - I can't believe people here actually think that; just because you're a great ST player doesn't mean you can't do anything else. Honestly, I have been taken aback by the reaction to this pick - it's a passing league, we got a highly rated CB and a 3rd round pick and there's tons of pass rushers still sitting out there for our THREE #2s tomorrow.
  27. patsfanboy

patsfanboy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I am very disappointed, everyone here understand that he is a good player and will help us. But people are frustrated is because we could have gotten him later in the second and gotten a player WORTH a first round pick.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  28. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Will you ever grow the hell up from your childish "homer" comments? I mean really.

When did I ever even hint at him being the "next Revis"?
  29. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

anyone who thinks we could have gotten him in the second is... OK I'll be nice this time, but go back and look at the CBs left. There is exactly a 0% chance he would have been available to us in the 2nd. There is a very high chance that the Jets would have taken him 2 picks later. The kid is a player, in as many aspects of the game as a CB can be.
  30. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think it's because when you hear "Oh and he's great on special teams" it's like being setup on a blind date and hearing "Oh and she's got a great personality, too!"

Doesn't mean he's a crappy player the other 3 downs (or the girl is ugly as hell) but it just sets off the *warning* signals in your head.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.