PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's take a good look at McCourty, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im torn if i could have any player in the draft it would have been Dez Bryant. We picked up a ST'er...in the first round at that....How well did the brilliant Matthew Slater project work out again?

There are MANY good players left that can help the pass rush... Do you not understand the run on CB and the fact that McCourty has the potential to be a very rare and valuable 4 down player?

Yes, I do know there are plenty of players left that can help the pass rush, I am not freaking out yet. Just a bit confused.

Just another homer comment from you, did you really ever even consider the Pats picking him, even taking a CB in round 1? You are acting like he is the next Revis

Looking at some mocks, he was projected as a late 2nd or 3rd round pick on average.

Or late first-rounder, both as pick and as value, on the sites I saw.

One mock had him going at #20.

Im torn if i could have any player in the draft it would have been Dez Bryant. We picked up a ST'er...in the first round at that....How well did the brilliant Matthew Slater project work out again?

Do some research, goodness. Who the hell told you McCourty was only a special teams player? That person is an idiot.

Let me rephrase... "not be JUST a ST."
Right - I can't believe people here actually think that; just because you're a great ST player doesn't mean you can't do anything else. Honestly, I have been taken aback by the reaction to this pick - it's a passing league, we got a highly rated CB and a 3rd round pick and there's tons of pass rushers still sitting out there for our THREE #2s tomorrow.

I am very disappointed, everyone here understand that he is a good player and will help us. But people are frustrated is because we could have gotten him later in the second and gotten a player WORTH a first round pick.

Last edited:
Yes, I do know there are plenty of players left that can help the pass rush, I am not freaking out yet. Just a bit confused.

Just another homer comment from you, did you really ever even consider the Pats picking him, even taking a CB in round 1? You are acting like he is the next Revis

Will you ever grow the hell up from your childish "homer" comments? I mean really.

When did I ever even hint at him being the "next Revis"?

I am very disappointed, everyone here understand that he is a good player and will help us. But people a frustrate is because we could have gotten him later in the second and gotten a player WORTH a first round.

anyone who thinks we could have gotten him in the second is... OK I'll be nice this time, but go back and look at the CBs left. There is exactly a 0% chance he would have been available to us in the 2nd. There is a very high chance that the Jets would have taken him 2 picks later. The kid is a player, in as many aspects of the game as a CB can be.

Right - I can't believe people here actually think that; just because you're a great ST player doesn't mean you can't do anything else. Honestly, I have been taken aback by the reaction to this pick - it's a passing league, we got a highly rated CB and a 3rd round pick and there's tons of pass rushers still sitting out there for our THREE #2s tomorrow.

I think it's because when you hear "Oh and he's great on special teams" it's like being setup on a blind date and hearing "Oh and she's got a great personality, too!"

Doesn't mean he's a crappy player the other 3 downs (or the girl is ugly as hell) but it just sets off the *warning* signals in your head.

Will you ever grow the hell up from your childish "homer" comments? I mean really.

When did I ever even hint at him being the "next Revis"?

Because you are a homer, no shame in admitting it. No one ever saw this pick coming or even drafting a CB in round one. People didnt have CB as a major need for the team. You are acting like you knew this all along.

You said that McCourty could be a "very rare and valuable 4 down player". How many defensive players can you say that about? Not many. I cant really be on McCourty already because he is a solid player, just not worth the Pats 1st round pick.

I am very disappointed, everyone here understand that he is a good player and will help us. But people a frustrate is because we could have gotten him later in the second and gotten a player WORTH a first round.

Based on what? Based on the fact that Kindle is still there when some thought it would take a move up from 22? Or based on the fact that Tyson Alualu, a player a lot of us loved with one of our 2nd round picks, was the 10th overall pick?

I think it's because when you hear "Oh and he's great on special teams" it's like being setup on a blind date and hearing "Oh and she's got a great personality, too!"

Doesn't mean he's a crappy player the other 3 downs (or the girl is ugly as hell) but it just sets off the *warning* signals in your head.

You're right. I'm sure that was of particular concern to the Vikings when they were trying to decide whether or not to select Percy Harvin.

Based on what? Based on the fact that Kindle is still there when some thought it would take a move up from 22? Or based on the fact that Tyson Alualu, a player a lot of us loved with one of our 2nd round picks, was the 10th overall pick?

McCourty himself even said he didnt think he was going in the 1st round..

anyone who thinks we could have gotten him in the second is... OK I'll be nice this time, but go back and look at the CBs left. There is exactly a 0% chance he would have been available to us in the 2nd. There is a very high chance that the Jets would have taken him 2 picks later. The kid is a player, in as many aspects of the game as a CB can be.

Agreed. People think he would have been there in the 2nd? The Vikings said they thought about trading up for him. THe Jets wanted him. The Saints got stuck with Robinson. He would have been gone two picks later...

We can't get torched by elite offenses like we did vs the Saints last year. This should help.

Agreed. People think he would have been there in the 2nd? The Vikings said they thought about trading up for him. THe Jets wanted him. The Saints got stuck with Robinson. He would have been gone two picks later...

There is a chance he could have been, it's been a crazy draft so far. Look at who is still left on the board Clausen and McCoy are still available, teams will be trading up and having guys slide down. McCourty himself didnt even think he would be a 1st rounder. This years draft has been so unpredictable, anything could have happened

look for all you BB homer's who defend his every move....

When you pick a CB in the first round 1st he must have great ball skills
2nd he needs to be an impact shut down type.

When players like Champ Bailey, T. Newman, D.Revis, D.Sanders, C.Woodson, etc were drafted the first thing that came out of others notes were not "A great special teams player." No it was shut down corner, something about ball skills and technique.

Im not bashing the kid as I had him as a target for the pats (though in the 2nd round) but with someone like Dez Bryant on board i'd go with him.

It seems as if fans and the pats are blinded by their past success. The pats continue to trade down trade down trade down for picks and the every mentioned VALUE. Eventually we need to learn that 20>30>40 I mean how often do we have to pass on the likes of Cushing, Matthews etc for Ron Brace's of the world.

Because you are a homer, no shame in admitting it.

It's a childish ad hominem attack that you continuously throw around to try to discredit my points. You seriously need to grow up now and discuss the points rather than discussing the presumed motives or fan allegiance of the poster.

No one ever saw this pick coming or even drafting a CB in round one. People didnt have CB as a major need for the team. You are acting like you knew this all along.

I couldn't care less about what people SAW coming nor am I acting like anything that would remotely give an indication of knowing this all along. I choose not to play that whole "guess who the Patriots will draft" game. I know they've put in months of man-hours and me sitting here on the surface trying to predict who they will pick is a waste of time IMO.

You said that McCourty could be a "very rare and valuable 4 down player". How many defensive players can you say that about? Not many. I cant really be on McCourty already because he is a solid player, just not worth the Pats 1st round pick.

Yeah there aren't many 4-down players that are good in all areas they play. That's not a stretch, a lie or anything else. He has shown the ability to be a good CB as well as a good (well great) special teams player. He has the ABILITY to grow into a #1 CB as well as a top-end kick returner/coverage player. Oh yeah and he's very intelligent, so the likelihood of catching on at the NFL level is high.

This quote does not come close to comparing him to Revis in any way, shape or form.

BTW The Pats valued him even at #22 and if there were a threat of him going 23rd they wouldn't have traded down, and they've put in months and months of man-hours in this. Not a few internet research draft scout reading hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down