PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So far, Bill is doing a great job this offseason. The next step: restructure Danny's contract!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see the point in off-loading LaFell for only marginal (if that) upgrades.Do they save money by signing Boldin and Colston. Boldin is good but is he that much of an upgrade over LaFell when he'll only be a #3 receiver (including Gronk)?
LaFell is likely still injured

I don't really see the point in off-loading LaFell for only marginal (if that) upgrades.Do they save money by signing Boldin and Colston. Boldin is good but is he that much of an upgrade over LaFell when he'll only be a #3 receiver (including Gronk)?

I don't think Lafell ever fully recovered from his injury. Colston is a guy that, IMO, could probably still give the team 800-900 receiving yards and Boldin may still have a little left in the tank too to make those tough catches between the numbers. Hard to tell with the latter, though, give SF's quarterback situation.

Could be.
I think so too however he was released without the team citing it as injury related/failed physical designation- unlike Chandler.

With that said it's a worthy exercise to define what "injury" means in this instance.

I don't think Lafell ever fully recovered from his injury. Colston is a guy that, IMO, could probably still give the team 800-900 receiving yards and Boldin may still have a little left in the tank too to make those tough catches between the numbers. Hard to tell with the latter, though, give SF's quarterback situation.

I think so too however he was released without the team citing it as injury related- unlike Chandler.

With that said it's a worthy exercise to define what "injury" means in this instance.

All I hope is that BB has a better plan to address the WR position than he did the OG position last year. Having two rookie guards weakened the team in the short term even if it'll work out in the long. I'm very happy drafting a WR like Miller, Doctson or Mitchell but it would be foolish to rely on a rookie WR this year so as long as there's a plan behind LaFell's release then I'm fine.

They need a solid intermediate threat. I like both Colston and Boldin but skeptical if the can be "that" in this offense inside and outside the numbers and hashes.

All I hope is that BB has a better plan to address the WR position than he did the OG position last year. Having two rookie guards weakened the team in the short term even if it'll work out in the long.

Injuries and crap coaching killed them. Wendy and Kline were fine if Shaq and Jackson didn't develop but they kinda did.

I really think Scar will make a big difference.

I'm very happy drafting a WR like Miller, Doctson or Mitchell but it would be foolish to rely on a rookie WR this year so as long as there's a plan behind LaFell's release then I'm fine.

Right now the only guaranteed WRs returning in 2016 are JE and Martin. They need to find 2-3 more guys that can play. I suspect they will sign mid-range FAs and pick up a couple in the draft.

Since the Pats are without a 1st round pick this year and a 4th next year, I'd like to see them go heavy into the FA market. Maybe they could even trade another pick or two from this year to beef things up for the future. I don't follow college ball so I don't know if this is a strong year for the draft or not, but if it isn't that's the startegy I'd like to see the Pats use.

The fact Cannon still remains on the roster makes me worried that they plan to keep him.

The fact Cannon still remains on the roster makes me worried that they plan to keep him.
This is a little irrational because they can still always cut him, but the fact they didn't release Cannon the second they could makes me question the FOs judgment.

They need a solid intermediate threat. I like both Colston and Boldin but skeptical if the can be "that" in this offense inside and outside the numbers and hashes.

The Pats need someone to make tough catches in the intermediate area of the field between the numbers and a guy to threaten outside the numbers. Colston can still do the latter, based on what I saw of him last year. He's not what he used to be, but he's still capable. With regard to FA and the position, obviously I'd love to see a blockbuster pulled off. Gordon or Johnson would be incredible. I just don't expect it. I think guys like Boldin and Colston will be more or less what we see with maybe an additional move in the draft for a Braxton Miller.

They NEED to do something at WR. We cannot go through 2006 and 2013 again. Not with Brady's age.

I agree.

Although what a blessing it is to have the most tragic seasons be ones where the Pats win the division and go to the AFC championship game.

For me it is simple:

1. Cut cannon
2. Restructure amendola
3. Extend both Hightower and Collins
4. Sign Mitchell Schwartz (surprise vollmer cut if this happens), Marvin jones, and a solid vet guard like jahri Evans
5. Target receiver and running back in the draft

QB - 2 Brady, Garoppolo - SET
RB - 5 Bolden, James White, Lewis, FORTE,DRAFT#4 - NEED LOW ( LEWIS AND FORTE WILL BE A GOOD ENOUGH COMBO WITH WHITE AND BOLDEN THEY DONT NEED TO USE HIGH CAPITAL ON RB)
FB - 1 Devlin or KING - SET
C - 2 Andrews, Stork - SET
G - 4 DRAFT#3, Kline, Mason, Jackson - Jahri will be epensive i guess ( something like Mathis money)
OT - 3 Vollmer, Solder, Cannon (CUT), DRAFT #3
WR - 5 Amendola ( RE DO), Edelman, Dobson (CUT), Martin, DRAFT #2, JONES
TE - 3 Rob Gronkowski, DRAFT#6, Williams
DE - 5 Ninkovich, Chandler Jones,Sheard(EXTEND), Flowers, Grissom - SET
DT - 5 Easley,Branch, Malcom Brown,HICKS(SIGN),#DRAFT#7
LB - 4 Collins(EXTEND), Hightower(EXTEND), Freeny, DRAFT#5
CB - 5 Ryan, Butler(EXTEND), Roberts, Coleman, DRAFT #6
S - 4 McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Richards
ST - 3 Slater, Ebner(RESIGN), KING or Devlin
P - 1 Allen
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Cardona

Could use the same logic to say that because we haven't extended HT and Collins yet that we plan to let them walk.

League year is still about a week away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back