PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Moss, Burgess, Guyton, and Thomas sent home Wed after late for 8am meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a high tech manager I found snowstorms to be handy occurances to reinforce your observations about employee attitudes and work ethic. It was always easy to predict the tardiness or absense of the less motivated. It's also possible that one or more folks did encounter driving situations way outside their expected span of control. Maybe a player or so got caught up with those who aren't all that motivated. We'll never know.

like I said in my previous response to a different poster when has BB ever been illogical. I am certain they broke some known rule, probably didn't call in to say "going to be late". BB is a all about rules, break get punished, follow them no problem. I am certain somewhere there is a written rule these 4 knew about and broke with the respect to being late.

This example may not be illogical, but IMO it was also unreasonable:

When Seymour's grandfather died, Seymour flew to Georgia to be with his family with the blessing of Bill, but took an extra day off against Bill's wishes. He sat Seymour until the second quarter the next game. I remember Seymour almost in tears after the game.

Any reasonable guy would have made an exception in that circumstance.

Last edited:
Rest anything you want. Weather slows up traffic. How badly is never known before it happens. If this was done because of the weather (in other words, if the team believed the explanation given by the players), sending them home was stupid. You're removing players from the 'learning' environment of meetings and the like, and putting them out in dangerous weather.

My old boss used to have a saying...take the train before the train that makes you late. And none of us were making 6 and 7 figure salaries... The foundation of this system is discipline, responsibility, accountability. Your binky Seymour had a problem with those concepts, too. Bill isn't going to make exceptions particularly for guys he's already done a lot for...

I am not sure why this may surprise some people, Seymour had to sit out the first quarter of an important December game vs the Jags a few seasons ago because he missed some practise time following the death of his grandfather, Bill has his rules.

Last edited:
This example may not be illogical, but IMO it was also unreasonable:

When Seymour's dad died, Seymour flew to Georgia to be with his family with the blessing of Bill, but took an extra day off against Bill's wishes. He sat Seymour until halftime the next game. I remember Seymour almost in tears after the game.

Any reasonable guy would have made an exception in that circumstance.

A guy with stones would have sacked up and gotten past it. That's why he isn't here anymore.

How are you going to fight through an offensive tackle, if you can't fight through a little New England dusting.........:rolleyes2:

If these guys were sent home for being late today, its bordering on the silly side. With the snow and traffic, sometimes its unavoidable to be a bit late.

This isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme, but you leave a little earlier. Real people do that every day this time of year under the same circumstances.

Last edited:
So you leave a little earlier. Real people do that every day this time of year under the same circumstances.

Hell, if they were that worried, they could have reserved a room at the hotel.

It's not like they're making minimum wage.

A guy with stones would have sacked up and gotten past it. That's why he isn't here anymore.

I hope you are joking.

Family is more important than football.

Some of you guys dont get it, BB has been like this since day one, either you have rules and enforce them or you dont. He doesnt care what the excuse is, may seem harsh but theres no middle ground here, your either on time or you not, if your not you get punished. This has more to do with his overall philosophy than a little snowstorm, he has to adhere to his philosophy at all times for it to be effective.

Last edited:

This may be the most ridiculous post you've ever made here.

They all had valid excuses.....

Thomas and Burgess weren't able to catch up to the bus.

Moss didn't fight hard enough to drive through the snow.

Guyton's cab didn't pick him up, because he looked like just another guy on the street.

Why I am not surprised AD is part of this?

I don't agree, how come the rest were all there except these four? This is how I run my organization and it has not failed me. If lets say 50% were late, then I will consider, anything short is just lackadaisical to me.

Agree entirely. Why was everyone else on time? As someone else said, if the weather is crap, leave earlier. If you CAN'T get in, that's different.

There has been a culture in some organisations for which I have worked of being late without punishment. Quite simply, it doesn't happen in my current one as the rule is "don't be late".

If BB is angry at the attitudes of some of the players, I think that's ultimately a good thing. Those who don't like it, however good they are, will leave and hopefully be replaced by guys who are desperate to prove themselves.

I hope you are joking.

Family is more important than football.

TB is at practice after the birth of his kid and BB's dad dies the night before he is to coach.

Not saying it it right, but thats the level of committment this organization demands from the players.

Last edited:
TB is at practice after the birth of his kid and BB's dad dies the night before he is to coach.

Not saying it it right, but thats the level of committment this organization demands from the players.

Not really. Cassel still started in Oakland. The notion that a practice is more important than a death, or birth, of an immediate family member isn't even held by the Patriots. The issue was the number of missed days, and that was a mistake made by Belichick.

If I have to show up at work for 8am and the weather is going to suck, I leave earlier, simple as that. Real people don't get free passes.

Like someone else said, the easy way to tell the motivated from the unmotivated is to see who shows up on time at times like this. It's especially bad if you can predict who doesn't show.

I wonder if stuff like this also hits a little close to home for some people who might be the type to use inclement weather as a crutch for tardiness.

Nice!! And look who the 4 are. Wow, what a shock!!!
Tom Brady makes it to work on time despite having helped deliver his baby son overnight but snowflakes held up these 4 "winners"??
How about we keep all 4 home on Sunday?? Would any of them be missed??
I know Brady's INT numbers would go down. ;)

If I have to show up at work for 8am and the weather is going to suck, I leave earlier, simple as that. Real people don't get free passes.

Like someone else said, the easy way to tell the motivated from the unmotivated is to see who shows up on time at times like this. It's especially bad if you can predict who doesn't show.

I wonder if stuff like this also hits a little close to home for some people who might be the type to use inclement weather as a crutch for tardiness.

If you leave a half an hour earlier than usual, but a car accident closes the road, do you tell your boss that he should fire you? Do you offer to work for free for the rest of that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes