SMY: Moss, Burgess, Guyton, and Thomas sent home Wed after late for 8am meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the Patriots may have a little problem. They may have a

few players who don't give a damn. This may be what Tom Brady was

referring to when he mentioned players not trying hard enough. I was

disappointed that Randy Moss was one of the players. I hope he isn't

returning to the dark side.

I think the more the losing goes in Patriots land the more Randy decides he does not want to participate in games.

Everything was looking good early in 2007 and the team was winning with ease and the Randy Moss of his first few seasons was coming back because he wanted to play hard again to win a championship, but now things are looking a bit bleak in terms of SB possibilities and Randy could think he is back in Oakland if the team loses a few more games which certainly is possible.

Speaking of Oakland, its pretty bad when the freaking Raiders can beat a team on the road which happened to be the defending SB champs but the Patriots can't beat a soul outside of NE now? :eek:.

Last edited:
You do know you can find advance weather reports 24/7 in the modern age, right? Weather means traffic and slow driving, so leave earlier than you normally would. And if all but 4 are present, somehow everyone else seems to be cognizant of the wealth of information that would have avoided the whole "being late" problem.

Not everybody lives in the same house and travel the same commute to get to Gillette. Could it be that these 4 came from areas where they were more affected by the weather? Maybe they had vehicle problems because of the weather. A lot of diffirent things could have happened and under the circumstance (bad weather), Bill should have made an exception to those who were late. Things happen no matter how well-planned you think you are for bad weather.

It just seems reactionary and may do more harm than good. You have a veteran like Moss who might look at this as being unfair if he was prepared and took the necessary precaution to get to work on time but just got a bit unlucky.

Like I said, seems dumb and unreasonable given the circumstances.

Then they shouldn't have been sent home. Like Deus said, this was an unnecessary move by BB.

The point is that they were forewarned, and therefore had ample time to prepare.

Here in New England, we have plenty of bad weather every single year. What happened this morning was actually mild.

Not everybody lives in the same house and travel the same commute to get to Gillette. Could it be that these 4 came from areas where they were more affected by the weather? Maybe they had vehicle problems because of the weather.

I don't think any of them are driving second-hand or used vehicles, especially Moss.

I don't think any of them are driving second-hand or used vehicles, especially Moss.

Maybe they didn't charge the Prius last night?

Geez, 11 pages in a couple of hours--this is striking a chord among fans, that's for sure. Wonder what the team thinks.

Wonder if these guys had excuses......in Thomas' case, he probably ran to catch a bus but couldn't get there in time.

Not everybody lives in the same house and travel the same commute to get to Gillette. Could it be that these 4 came from areas where they were more affected by the weather? Maybe they had vehicle problems because of the weather. A lot of diffirent things could have happened and under the circumstance (bad weather), Bill should have made an exception to those who were late. Things happen no matter how well-planned you think you are for bad weather.

It just seems reactionary and may do more harm than good. You have a veteran like Moss who might look at this as being unfair if he was prepared and took the necessary precaution to get to work on time but just got a bit unlucky.

49 other players live in generally the same area as these guys do and made it in on time. What message does it send to the other 49 who made the effort to get up early and get there? You want to lower the bar for the mal-contents BB wants to maintain a standard and force mal-contents to live up to that standard or be punished for not doing so. I have no problem with holding everyone to same rules.

While we are on the pure conjecture wagon, how do you know there isn't a rule that if you are going to be late and call in and let them know you are going to be late that you aren't given a waiver? Perhaps these guys didn't call in and just showed up late, did you ever consider that?

49 other players live in generally the same area as these guys do and made it in on time. What message does it send to the other 49 who made the effort to get up early and get there? You want to lower the bar for the mal-contents BB wants to maintain a standard and force mal-contents to live up to that standard or be punished for not doing so. I have no problem with holding everyone to same rules.

While we are on the pure conjecture wagon, how do you know there isn't a rule that if you are going to be late and call in and let them know you are going to be late that you aren't given a waiver? Perhaps these guys didn't call in and just showed up late, did you ever consider that?

Whatever, it just seems unreasonable given the circumstance.

Then again, if Belichick believes this was the best decision that gives us the best chance to win on Sunday, then I'm all for it.....:rolleyes:

In bad weather, it's often the case that some people make it in on time and others don't. People are driving from different places, after all. Anyone debating 495/95/93 should understand that sometimes one road gets it done, and sometimes a different road would have worked out better.

When before has anyone heard or seen anything negative about Guyton? He was one of the tardy, after all.

Oh, man. And I just bought that Randy Moss jersey that's about to take permanent residency in my closet . . .

Whatever, it just seems unreasonable given the circumstance.

Then again, if Belichick believes this was the best decision that gives us the best chance to win on Sunday, then I'm all for it.....:rolleyes:

heh, its not about Sunday its about discipline and rules for any corporation/organization. My guess is there were others who were late and called in to say, going to be late and these guys didn't. I had people come in late today, they called in to let me know they were going to be late, its called courtesy and respect. When you don't show that courtesy and respect you are being selfish, self centered etc.

Wow, all of this over a few guys being late for a meeting. Not even skipping out, but for being late ? It's not the end of the world. They did their crime and paid the time, I don't think the team is going to crumble due to this event.

In bad weather, it's often the case that some people make it in on time and others don't. People are driving from different places, after all. Anyone debating 495/95/93 should understand that sometimes one road gets it done, and sometimes a different road would have worked out better.

When before has anyone heard or seen anything negative about Guyton? He was one of the tardy, after all.

like I said in my previous response to a different poster when has BB ever been illogical. I am certain they broke some known rule, probably didn't call in to say "going to be late". BB is a all about rules, break get punished, follow them no problem. I am certain somewhere there is a written rule these 4 knew about and broke with the respect to being late.

like I said in my previous response to a different poster when has BB ever been illogical. I am certain they broke some known rule, probably didn't call in to say "going to be late". BB is a all about rules, break get punished, follow them no problem. I am certain somewhere there is a written rule these 4 knew about and broke with the respect to being late.

If the problem was something other than tardiness due to weather, that's a completely different issue. There's no information to that effect, however.

Rumor has it that 2 cars with Florida plates had him blocked in. Seems plausable.

Pity the guys. Looks like this was beyond their control.

Bullsh1t. I had a meeting this morning and I left 45 minutes earlier from home to make sure I was in the office on time.

If the problem was something other than tardiness due to weather, that's a completely different issue. There's no information to that effect, however.

heh, and when has the one sliver of information that someone gets out of Gillette EVER been the full story? This is more than just being late due to weather to suggest otherwise is to not understand and know Patriot history under BB's leadership, not to mention just plain naive.

If those individuals were hit by a freak tornado, then it would be unreasonable. If the earth opened up and swallowed their vehicles, same deal. Act of God stuff. This does not sound like exceptional weather conditions atypical of the area. I expect you would find if everyone on the team were given a million dollar bonus for showing up on time, they likely would find a way to make it in on time. Your response sounds more like Jeff Spicoli to Mr. Hand in Fast Times at Ridgemont High - "Just couldn't make it on time." Not exactly the model for organizational discipline, especially when the organization isn't hitting on all cylinders.

Additionally, this may have been the 20th time they showed up late for meetings this season. They may have been warned 10 times over by Belichick. All but Burgess are veterans on the Pats, meaning there should be no "holy cow, is that snow?" response. Commuting distance is a non-issue. All objects on the planet obey the basic physics equation distance = rate X time. Bigger distance to travel, bigger time required. If you choose to live farther from work, leave earlier in the morning. It is the simple rule every working stiff on the planet has to obey.

It occurred to me that we saw "similar" moves (note the quotes!) from Ratgini earlier this year.

That said, I don't think this move really is BB just trying to throw his weight around à la Ratgini, but rather trying to send a wake-up call to the entire team. I believe if he thought that just fining them would work, he would have done exactly that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back