PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI: "Be afraid NFL. Be very afraid"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Shaughnessy is one of our (at least my) favor whipping boys when he gets it wrong, but I thought you might enjoy this, just posted in the last couple of hours at the SI Web site.

"Brace yourself, NFL. It looks like Bill Belichick plans to come back from the lockout with guns blazing...We are only halfway through a preseason after a protracted lockout. There is so much we do not know. But the Patriots look like a monster team. A lot like 2007."

Read more: Bill Belichick's Patriots look loaded ... again - Dan Shaughnessy - SI.com

Once again, it's the preseason. The offense and defense have looked very good so far in limited action, but let's try not to jump the gun too much.

OK, now I'm really concerned. When these bozos get on the bandwagon, nothing good ever comes out of it :ugh:

Last edited:
Look, I'm one of the biggest homers on this board....... and nothing feels quite so squeaky-clean good like a good ole fashion ballwashing....

But damn, this is getting a little silly. Enough with the praises already, let play a meaningful snap or two first.... Holy Shizz, I can't beleive I just said that. :rocker:

The downplaying of everything we have seen in the preseason has become incredibly clichéd.

All we are missing is someone pulling out the Lions preseason 4-0, regular season 0-16 situation and we'd have all the usual components.

Its safe to say that scorelines in most preseason games shoudn't have their importance overstated - nor should the performance of our 3rd unit vs another teams 3rd unit.

Having said all that, can we not just appreciate a positive article for what it is?

The Patriots had the leagues best offense last year, and the D does look like its taken an exciting step forward in its evolution this year.

Whats not to be excited about?

I could really do without a jug of cold water being poured over every piece of positive news/opinion.

Last edited:
OK, now I'm really concerned. When these bozos get on the bandwagon, nothing good ever comes out of it :ugh:

Don't worry, Shaughnessy still gets to put on his wise-@ss face when he writes for the Globe, like today.

Where in the world is Albert Haynesworth? - The Boston Globe

SOme sarcasm to open, with plenty more to follow:
"Tell Mercury Morris and friends to put away the champagne. Even though the Seahawks, Jets, Ravens, Packers, Steelers, Bears, Cowboys, Cardinals, Colts, Vikings, Eagles, Chargers, and Giants have all won playoff games in the four years since the Patriots last won a playoff game, it’s pretty clear that this is the best team ever."

I could really do without a jug of cold water being poured over every piece of positive news/opinion.

I think you may have just coined a new definition of the role of Social Networks on the Internet. I'd slap a big © on it fast if I were you. ;)

Don't worry, Shaughnessy still gets to put on his wise-@ss face when he writes for the Globe, like today.

Where in the world is Albert Haynesworth? - The Boston Globe

SOme sarcasm to open, with plenty more to follow:
"Tell Mercury Morris and friends to put away the champagne. Even though the Seahawks, Jets, Ravens, Packers, Steelers, Bears, Cowboys, Cardinals, Colts, Vikings, Eagles, Chargers, and Giants have all won playoff games in the four years since the Patriots last won a playoff game, it’s pretty clear that this is the best team ever."

Yeah, exactly. This guy is awful--he'll write whatever to stir the pot, depending on the audience.

Someone change the thread title from "SI" to "Shaugnessey." That way, nobody will bother to click on it.

The downplaying of everything we have seen in the preseason has become incredibly clichéd.

All we are missing is someone pulling out the Lions preseason 4-0, regular season 0-16 situation and we'd have all the usual components.

Actually someone did say that in another thread. I don't remember which one, but it was definitely brought up. So all components complete!

Two red headed scary looking clowns...............wonder if they're related?
shaughnessy184.jpg

bozo-the-clown.jpg

Signs of the Apocalypse:

Soul-less sports writers acting like fanatical fans......
.......fanatical fans acting lie soul-less sports writers. :eek:

It's preseason. I'll wait to see how we do when it's for real. While I feel that we have a good team, it's a long season with peaks and valleys.

The downplaying of everything we have seen in the preseason has become incredibly clichéd. ...

Whats not to be excited about?

Some days it's like Niagara F'n Falls in here! Say anything positive and you'll be told to calm down... it's only (Preseason/September/October/November...)... the "let's not put him in Canton just yet" cliche will then be used, followed by being called a homer.

When something is undeniably good, then the topic of "How long can this possibly last/don't get used to it, NFL= Not For long" comes up.

I think it's a New England (region) thing.
Vermont- Mass -New Hampshire- Conn- Rhode Island
V-M-NH-C-RI
Very Much Never Happy Constantly Readyto Implode.

:D

Last edited:
Terrific piece by Shaughnessy that pretty much sums up what most of us felt when Shaun Ellis was signed and the 4-3 became the best guess for the base defense.

He also hit the nail on the Haynesworth in today's Globe. Especially the last sentence. The trial in federal court on Tuesday is the main reason we've not yet seen Fat Albert.

Albert Haynesworth’s attorneys accused of offering bribe in sex-abuse case - The Washington Post

The feds have ten witnesses on their list and since Albert didn't bother to show up 8-3-2011 for his hearing the judge is grumpy. The judge can give Albert 180 days in the slammer for this groping offense and subsequent offers of money to the waitress and witnesses by his agent. This is not a game. The two women federal prosecutors are young and see this case as a career-maker.

Albert has little public sympathy in Washington DC with his very public history of being bad news.

I'll reserve any opinions, positive or negative, for when the regular season begins. Anything I see up until that time is just to help me pass the time until real action begins. Then, AND ONLY THEN, will any of us really know what we have in this iteration of the New England Patriots.

Some days it's like Niagara F'n Falls in here! Say anything positive and you'll be told to calm down... it's only (Preseason/September/October/November...)... the "let's not put him in Canton just yet" cliche will then be used, followed by being called a homer.

When something is undeniably good, then the topic of "How long can this possibly last/don't get used to it, NFL= Not For long" comes up.

V-M-NH-C-RI

I'll say it again. It's preseason.

V-M-NH-C-RI

Only stadium in the league where sitting and clapping is the norm. I thouht I was at tennis match.

I'll reserve any opinions, positive or negative, for when the regular season begins. Anything I see up until that time is just to help me pass the time until real action begins. Then, AND ONLY THEN, will any of us really know what we have in this iteration of the New England Patriots.

I don't think we really new what we had last season into late November and maybe even December. Usually you don't know what you've got until mid point of the season- some years it's earlier, sometimes it's later.

I'll say it again. It's preseason.

Oh damn... really? :rolleyes:

So it's not okay to think the team might be improved this year compared to last? I must extinguish and and all enthusiasm until the whistle blows on game 1 regular season? Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore