PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI Article: Deflategate, One Year Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll speculate a bit on this.

The problem is that the architects of the scheme (Goodell and Wells among others) have considerable litigation experience and knew at the time that they had to keep their motivations secret, since Brady might sue for defamation. It is unlikely that they would be quite so incautious as to write an email or text that would be clearly incriminating.

I think I'm kind of banking on the NFL being incompetent and also not realizing they were getting themselves into such hot water BEFORE the litigation occurred. Maybe I'm just hoping they were so brazen to not be afraid to send emails or texts with those details prior to Brady appealing and bringing it to court. After all, they did want the appeal transcript to be sealed because they knew it wouldn't look good.

Thank you for your perspective though. It was very helpful.

This is a pretty detailed rehash. Don't think it'll make much difference in the court of public opinion though. The only way to make up for what happened is win another one.
That won't make a difference either. They'll just look for another excuse. But it sure make a great FU to all the losers who pray for the Pats demise. I. Love how much energy Pats haters put into comment sections of articles. Oh yea, we're in their heads.

I realized the text where Mcnally calls himself "the deflator" happened in May. Well before the season. But until now I didn't realize Mcnally wasn't even employed by the Pats at the time!

I think you are mis-reading that a little. McNally is a GAME-DAY EMPLOYEE, so he only works 8 (+ postseason) days. I believe they meant he was not working for Pats at that time because it was the offseason.

And my understanding was the reason nfl got his phone and texts, was because it was patriots/nfl issued equipment. So why would he have an nfl phone if he wasn't an employee?

Also, why would he be texting The equipment guy (Jxxxxx) unless he was working with / already knew the guy?

To me it seems that TFB just wants to play football and establish himself as the GOAT. It seems he has no interest in spending a good portion of his life in a defamation suit.

I don't disagree that Kraft had little recourse but why oh why did he have to have a press conference to accept the penalty? Did he really think that Roger would have been happy with his pound of flesh and not go after Brady? All that conference did was inflate the NYFL's balls.
I don't disagree. I'm sure Bob would agree with you too, after the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.

And anyone who was paying attention already knew that because of the Dolphins case.

I agree, but I was not paying attention at the time, either Bullygate or Bountygate.
What infuriates me is self proclaimed Saints fans that know Bountygate was a railroad job but insist Goodell is right now. :)

Not likely. The POS has different rules for different teams like the Jets. Kraft's real problem was that for whatever reason he was oblivious to the fact that Goodell and his Jets minions were out to get the Pats from 2007 on. His submissive posture to the POS did nothing but prove that he and his team could be abused repeatedly without any repercussions.
WHat exactly is he suposed to do though? You are right that allowing him this power obviously bit him in the ass but as the article points out there isnt a lot that he could have done to get the picks back because there isnt really a legal path to go against the NFL for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back