PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats keep Cassel over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His value to the team is wins, if you can win without him, then his value goes down to the team.

The Pats can certainly win without Brady, but they're going to win more with him than without. That's the point I'm making.

You're talking about trading the best QB in the league today and of all-time, in his prime.

I still say that's an emphatic no.

My question to the thread starter. If Brady was starting would 6-4 and fighting for a playoff spot be good?I guess it is about expectations.Now the Patriots are tied with the Dolphins. I understand giving Cassel credit but I think Brady means alot more to this team.

Last edited:
Yes, it does call for the crap you're reading in these responses. Why would you wonder what Brady could draw from other teams? Might it have something to do with the fact that he's the best player in the league and that whatever team he goes to would immediately be a contender.

The mere act of trading Brady - regardless of how capable you think Cassel is - would handicap our chance of winning a championship b/c if you add Brady to probably 2/3 of the teams around the league, that team will now be a Super Bowl contender.

The Cassel thing has gone so dramatically overboard. Why must everything be so polarized on this board? Yes, Cassel has done well.
But a year ago, we had the best offense in history. This season, with the same tools, the team is 19th in the league in scoring.

They went from scoring 37 points a game to 22 points a game. That's ridiculous. We're talking about over 2 TD a game drop off from Brady to Cassel.

We're talking about 2 minutes from 19-0 versus fighting to win the division or make the playoffs. Everyone, come to your damn senses. If Tom Brady were QB of this team right now, we're probably destroying teams, teams are probably coming in every week wondering how much they're going to lose by. Tom Brady will be healthy next year and we'll likely get back to utter domination. Enjoy it, b/c it truly will be a once in a lifetime experience as a football fan.

LOL relax buddy, I agree with everything you said about Brady's importance that's why I said I wouldn't trade him.

All I said is I'd be interested to see what it would take to get a player of Brady's level, especially after Jason Taylor's comments about trading the entire Miami roster for him.

Sad thing is it's not the first idiotic thread like this since Thursday...

For the love of God, mods, use the tools Ian has provided...

I tried to resist looking at the contents of this thread or posting it in
but being forced to see the title more than even once I had to make just
one comment.

I normally can tolerate some garbage posts but this is beyond garbage and
normally would not comment or ignore the thread.
Once upon a time at PatsFans.com you would never see such a post
by a fan. For me this ranks as one of the worst ill thought threads
ever posted and nominate it for the Practice Squad.

this thread makes me happy in my pants.:robot:

iam more surprised at the people who think its a legitimate question. lets say the pats do this stupid move , will you come out and say its an interesting move or downright blast the move at that time ?and how do you know cassel in the 2nd yr and so forth is brady in his prime and is the answer. ?
just unbelievable- 6 weeks ago, people wanted to start oconnell and now think realising/trading brady is the legitimate question ???
i should stop posting or listening to marshall faulk after all. he isnt in the minority any more
Resist the urge to knee-jerk, please. I'm not Marshall Faulk. I'm only considering the question of what happens if Brady isn't the same player anymore; in other words, if he were no longer at the HOF level. It's a hypothetical situation and there's nothing wrong with talking about it. You have to consider every possibility in this league.

I don't think Cassel will ever be as good as Brady. I do think he will continue to improve, and at this rate, it looks like he'll become a solid NFL starter. So my hypothetical question was "Do you keep the veteran who has already peaked, or do you go with the young guy who hasn't?"

There's nothing stupid about that question. I'm almost 100% certain Brady WILL return healthy, but if something happened and he didn't, would you be so ready to call me stupid?

Dumbest post ever
And i had some brutial ones

Resist the urge to knee-jerk, please. I'm not Marshall Faulk. I'm only considering the question of what happens if Brady isn't the same player anymore; in other words, if he were no longer at the HOF level. It's a hypothetical situation and there's nothing wrong with talking about it. You have to consider every possibility in this league.

I don't think Cassel will ever be as good as Brady. I do think he will continue to improve, and at this rate, it looks like he'll become a solid NFL starter. So my hypothetical question was "Do you keep the veteran who has already peaked, or do you go with the young guy who hasn't?"

There's nothing stupid about that question. I'm almost 100% certain Brady WILL return healthy, but if something happened and he didn't, would you be so ready to call me stupid?
first of all..read what i wrote. Did i call you stupid anywhere ? i said the move would be stupid and said that marshall faulk says the same thing but he isnt being in the minority. Dont get offendend for no reason.
Secondly What do you know now to base a thought that brady may not comeback ? He is our franchise QB, so you stick with the franchise until you find out whatever . How can there be a debate right now to even consider keeping cassel and letting brady go . Lets say manning this season had sucked so bad , would polian be questioned for not letting manning go after the knee surgery and going with a young qb ?
its all hypotheticals and in hypotheticals you give your HOF QB the benefit of doubt injury wise and stick with him. No way until he plays a few games or even season can you judge anything about the injury effect let alone now.
So no one will be faulted if it doesnt work and blame anyone for keeping brady and letting cassel go. There is nothing right now to warrant this discussion which is what makes this thread practice squad material

Let me start by saying until this year I can't remember the last time I missed a Pats' game, but due to unprecedented business travelling, I've missed a bunch.....so I acknowledge at the outset I haven't seen Cassel play nearly as much as I would like.

Having said that, what I saw against the Jets was a confident, energetic, very impressive performance from Cassel. He threw the ball well, led the team, moved extremely well (his scrambling ability is obviously better than Brady's), and overall did an outstanding job. In the few areas he seemed off--eg, the deep ball--I sensed that a little more experience would work to correct that. He's also 26.

Next season Tom Brady will be 32, coming off major knee surgery--surgery that does not appear to be healing as it should. Where he'll be come September, nobody knows.....but let's say for the purposes of this argument his health remains uncertain as next season rolls around.

Don't misunderstand--I don't for a second underestimate Tom Brady. He has clearly been one of the best QBs of all time, and could (should?) have several top-level years ahead of him. I would also suggest that he might be one of the few guys who should be retained simply for the purpose of sustaining the integrity of the franchise--meaning, for pursposes of history, emotion, etc. But I'm not sure that's the way BB will ever do business, with the possible exception of keeping Troy Brown last year, which obviously didn't mean much.

Belichick and the overall organization doesn't go by names, or history, or salary, or sentiment. He and they go by what they see in front of them, and act in whatever way is in the best interests of the team.

So my question to the board is, come next year, is it possible that the Pats would be better off with Matt Cassel than Tom Brady? And if so, what should the Pats do about it?

Dear Lord.....:rolleyes:

Let me start by saying until this year I can't remember the last time I missed a Pats' game, but due to unprecedented business travelling, I've missed a bunch.....so I acknowledge at the outset I haven't seen Cassel play nearly as much as I would like.

Having said that, what I saw against the Jets was a confident, energetic, very impressive performance from Cassel. He threw the ball well, led the team, moved extremely well (his scrambling ability is obviously better than Brady's), and overall did an outstanding job. In the few areas he seemed off--eg, the deep ball--I sensed that a little more experience would work to correct that. He's also 26.

Next season Tom Brady will be 32, coming off major knee surgery--surgery that does not appear to be healing as it should. Where he'll be come September, nobody knows.....but let's say for the purposes of this argument his health remains uncertain as next season rolls around.

Don't misunderstand--I don't for a second underestimate Tom Brady. He has clearly been one of the best QBs of all time, and could (should?) have several top-level years ahead of him. I would also suggest that he might be one of the few guys who should be retained simply for the purpose of sustaining the integrity of the franchise--meaning, for pursposes of history, emotion, etc. But I'm not sure that's the way BB will ever do business, with the possible exception of keeping Troy Brown last year, which obviously didn't mean much.

Belichick and the overall organization doesn't go by names, or history, or salary, or sentiment. He and they go by what they see in front of them, and act in whatever way is in the best interests of the team.

So my question to the board is, come next year, is it possible that the Pats would be better off with Matt Cassel than Tom Brady? And if so, what should the Pats do about it?

You must be high.

Get rid of a HOF QB in his EARLY 30s for a guy that has yet to prove he can throw the long ball consistently and has trouble in red zone TDs

You must have had an Aluminum Seat get bashed over your head when you were a child - Thats the only way I can understand the stupidity this thread brings.

Even a JET fan wouldn't dump BRADY. Two words when thinking about Cassel. SCOTT MITCHELL. Cassel played extremely well but you got to be kidding....

ELITOTYREETOPLAXICO

even a jet fan wouldn't dump brady. Two words when thinking about cassel. Scott mitchell. Cassel played extremely well but you got to be kidding....

elitotyreetoplaxico

1969lasttimejetswonasuperbowl.priceless

It's one thing to not grasp X's ans O's...it's another thing to lack marginal common sense intelligence. If THIS ORGANIZATION wanted to keep Cassel and trade Brady only because he's older and injured and may not be the same... what do you think that would do to Brady's value?? LOL Baseball fan logic.

After all he's done and the discounts at which he's done it, this would probably represent the lone recipe for engineering Tom Brady contract holdout... He makes more money now in endorsements than he's playing for at the back end of his deal...

And by the time we know for certain if he's ready to go in 2009, Cassel will be long gone, one way or another.

Never mind aluminum seats, this is tin foil hats material...

Take a minute to breathe, and actually read the post. Nobody knows what Brady's recovery is going to be like--we've heard nothing but bad things.

Nothing but bad news? You're aware he's back with the team and working out aren't you?

You're aware when during the season that Phil Rivers tore his ACL and when he was ready to play again, aren't you?

Jesus people--are you overreacting enough? I thought it was a thoughtfully written post, even if the answer, on the surface, seems obvious.
It's a good question.

Not really.

If there IS any remaining concern about Brady's health as of the beginning of the season, whatever veteran QB they sign in the offseason will be more than prepared to go. That makes a helluva lot more sense than cutting the most prolific quarterback in the history of the NFL or signing Cassel to a $14 million guranteed contract "just in case".

Keep in mind that there'sm been a slew of other unthoughtfully posed questions like franchising Cassel and trading HIM as well, and you'll understand some of the frustration with the lowered caliber of this Board - and that's with Ian actively moving most such threads to the Practice Squad.

I thought this was a joke thread by the title, I guess not....wow!

No matter what the intent was, that question is a joke.

wow clueless

Early on I was going to respond individually to some of the hysterical posts here, but they became too numerous. Props to those who have actually brought something to the table.

What strikes me here is how much more thought and care have gone into the posts that actually look to react and respond to the premise, as opposed to the shrill whining that fuel 99% of the "this is such a horrible thread, please hold me" posts. Sorry, but even a premise you react to violently is a thousand times more thoughtful and nuanced than the dozens of dreary one-liners that have littered this thread. Many of those who have put some care into their responses still, naturally, come to the same conclusion—never going to, or should, happen in a million years. Which is, by the way, essentially the same conclusion I would arrive at.

What’s frightening on this board is that there is such a large pack of meatheads who can’t differentiate between a bomb-throwing thread and one that—again, if it’s read—clearly is theorizing about a situation next year that, while highly unlikely, is certainly not beyond the pale to discuss. A top-line organization such as the Patriots is always thinking and planning ahead for any contingency, well in advance of if and when it might be necessary to act. But that sort of thought and discussion is apparently beyond many on this board, who react to a premise they don’t like as if someone’s hidden their medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST