Should I add Cap Savings Column?? [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I have been thinking of adding a cap savings column to the cap page.

You can see what it would look like at
http://www.patscap.com/indextest.html

Please let me know if you think this would be worthwhile. Please note that I have not finished checking the numbers out.

Re: Should I add Cap Savings Column??

I think that would make an excellent addition. Kudos to your hard work.

Please let me know if you think this would be worthwhile. Please note that I have not finished checking the numbers out.
It would be helpful, although I think that (A) you should rename it "Cap Room Gained" or something like that (since "savings", while commonly used, is misleading), and (B) provide a note as to exactly what that column means (so that if there's an error, people can catch it more easily).

It would be helpful, although I think that (A) you should rename it "Cap Room Gained" or something like that (since "savings", while commonly used, is misleading), and (B) provide a note as to exactly what that column means (so that if there's an error, people can catch it more easily).

I have incorporated your excellent suggestions.

EXCELLENT! Best idea so far. Now people can look and know what the "gain" in cap would be if a player is released and evaluate in their minds if it's worth it. It's always been a guess, and I usually guess wrong.

Makes a great informational page even better.!!!!

Thanks

I think that you should Miguel. It would help those of us who cap challenged like myself.

By the way, you are going a great job.

Miguel -
The way the column is set up now is confusing. If I look at it now (and didn't know what I was talking about) then I might say that cutting Ty Warren would save the Pats 13 million this year, when, in actuality its not 13 million. Its only about 1.4 million. (Total Cap - SB Amortization).

ANyways.. good work as always.

Great idea Miguel ... not so great for Ty Warren however ... that $13 million is tempting ... (only kidding Ty).

Not to hijack the thread or anything. But, didn't Warren get nicked on the last play of a half or game in mid-season. Never really hit injury report. But, he was nowhere near the play he was in 06. I thought he was our 2nd best player last year. Behind Brady of course. This year. Didn't appear to be as dominant. Seymour is the one catching most of the flack on the board. But, Warren wasn't the same either.

I see the confusion abounding... How can you gain more than the projected 2008 cap cost (Stallworth) minus any remaining pre 2008 dead cap amortization... And on the other end of the spectrum they would never cut a player with a huge remaining dead cap without either waiting until June 1 or envoking one of the two veteran exemptions that allow them to spread the dead cap. And those eager to free up cap space need to understand dead cap implications impacting 2 seasons, before even including replacement cost.

I think a page that shows the immediate NET cap savings while also providing dead cap implications would be more easily understood. Likewise taking a shot at potential restructures and what those could net and even stabs at extensions and how they would impact 2008 cap space would be enlightening. If we're going to make assumptions, we might as well go whole hog...Call it the Potential (to free up) Cap Space page.

I think that you should Miguel. It would help those of us who cap challenged like myself.

By the way, you are going a great job.

Cap challenged?

It sounds like you have a hard time putting on a hat rather than trying to figure out numbers under a CBA agreement. :p

Cap challenged?

It sounds like you have a hard time putting on a hat rather than trying to figure out numbers under a CBA agreement.:p

A hat ??? Duh DefenseRules happens to be a female ... :p:p:p

A hat ??? Duh DefenseRules happens to be a female ... :p:p:p

We go way back. I still talk to "LadyPatsFan" on another site.

Besides she knows im only teasing her.:p

Miguel -
The way the column is set up now is confusing. If I look at it now (and didn't know what I was talking about) then I might say that cutting Ty Warren would save the Pats 13 million this year, when, in actuality its not 13 million. Its only about 1.4 million. (Total Cap - SB Amortization).

ANyways.. good work as always.

Reminder - This is a work in progress. As I said in the original post - "Please note that I have not finished checking the numbers out." I am working from the bottom up.

Looks good. Although with the new June 1 exemptions (where teams can designate up to 2 cap casualties prior to June 1 as post June 1 cuts), these numbers become less accurate.

I see the confusion abounding... How can you gain more than the projected 2008 cap cost (Stallworth) minus any remaining pre 2008 dead cap amortization...

Reminder - This is a work in progress. As I said in the original post - "Please note that I have not finished checking the numbers out." I am working from the bottom up.
And on the other end of the spectrum they would never cut a player with a huge remaining dead cap without either waiting until June 1 or envoking one of the two veteran exemptions that allow them to spread the dead cap.
Just added the June 2 designation disclaimer.

And those eager to free up cap space need to understand dead cap implications impacting 2 seasons, before even including replacement cost.

I think that this new column will help in this regard.

I think a page that shows the immediate NET cap savings while also providing dead cap implications would be more easily understood. Likewise taking a shot at potential restructures and what those could net and even stabs at extensions and how they would impact 2008 cap space would be enlightening. If we're going to make assumptions, we might as well go whole hog...Call it the Potential (to free up) Cap Space page.

I can only hope that you are as generous to the Bread of Life that you are with my time:)

Column added. I believe that its numbers are now correct.

Looks good. Although with the new June 1 exemptions (where teams can designate up to 2 cap casualties prior to June 1 as post June 1 cuts), these numbers become less accurate.

Added the June 2 disclaimer.

I like it a lot Miguel. Once again nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back