PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shea McClellin signs with Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first words that I heard about McClellin came from a man named Tom Shaer of TSM media in Chicago. He said that McClellin can't play. He claims that the Bears tried to find a place for him but couldn't. Here's the interview which is very favorable to Bennett but not McClellin.

Tom Shaer on Martellus Bennett and Shea McClellin 3-17-16

My 2 cents:

This is a signing you can't help but like, because like so much of the recent activity, there is little risk involved. I liked, not loved McClellon coming out of college. I was happy to see the Bears pick him because I was afraid the Pats might bite on him. His career has played out pretty much like I figured. He isn't a bad football player, just not worth a pick in the late teens of the first round.

On the plus side, I can't help but see so much of Rob Ninkovitch in him. Ninko also came to the Pats looking not only for a job but a position. McClellon's physical talent is at least as good as Rob's, the issue with Shea is going to be can the Pats find him a position and will he blossom in it. I don't know whether it will be at DE, or LB, but it will be very interesting to watch it play out.

It is also fascinating to watch us accumulate this rash of "failed" first rounders in a year Goodell has stolen ours. It should be a good teaching point to us on how iffy even first rounders can be when you draft, and how good BB has been over the years with our first round selections, especially since 2001, most have been picked in the low 20's and 30's, with only Mayo (10) and Solder (17) as the exceptions. IIRC I read once where our average pick in the draft over the last 15 years has been 26th :eek:

The one thing we should know by experience is that playing for the Pats seems to be a rather unique experience for a lot of reasons. This makes figuring out who will fit and thrive, and who will stumble and fail very difficult. It's been pretty well documented that the Pats look for different things in their player evaluations from most teams.

Outside of the Bennett trade, all of the Pats so call first round acquisitions give us hope for this season, but they also come with equal chances of failure. Only time will determine the results on these moves. The only thing I know for certain is that they have made being a Pats fan a lot more interesting this week than it was last week.

I'll be Nancy Negative and pray to god this isn't another Monty Beisel signing.

I'll be Nancy Negative and pray to god this isn't another Monty Beisel signing.

Interesting signings. In Long's case it still be about his health and how much he has left in the tank, if he can get back on track he gives them a decent DL for early downs and gives them the ability to continue floating Sheard and taking advantage of mismatches. For Cooper and McClellin it is more about coaching Cooper up to his potential and finding the right role for McClellin. If they can get these guys on track it will be a big bonus for them, if not it's at little cost.

I think Bennett will be a great for them. Another trip to the Super Bowl , could well be on the way.

Interesting signings. In Long's case it still be about his health and how much he had left in the tank, if he can get back on track he gives them a decent DL for early downs and shows then to continue floating Sheard and taking advantage of mismatches. For Cooper and McClellin it is more about choosing Cooper up to his potential and finding the right role for McClellin. If they can get these guys in track out will be a big bonus for them, if not it's at little cost.

I think Bennett will be a great for them. Another trip to the Super Bowl , could well be on the way.

I agree. The concern is with Shea. I'm not completely sold on him but we'll just have to see how he does.

If I saw his workouts correctly I think he had the same 3 cone as Welker. Quick in space.

CSNChicago Bears beat guy

“He’s a kid who really lost his confidence,” Mullin said. “And the phrase I probably should have used in a headline for a story on him is: ‘This is a young man who was really set up to fail.’”

“It was Emery who was force-feeding McClellin as a hand-on-the-ground pass rusher,” Mullin said. “Two years into that experiment — that failed experiment — Emery flat out said in kind of his post-mortem on that season, ‘Yeah, we really tried to force Shea into a position he wasn’t suited for.’”

Seriously though when are we gonna find out the terms.

I'm ok with this.

The Pats have no depth at LB. It's practice squad guys and special teams only guys. Not even guys with upside. Just bad NFL LB's.

How do you know that Freeny, Snyder, and Vaughters have no upside? Are you clairvoyant?

Can't help but wonder if Bjorn Werner is salvageable. He'd only add to the "former 1st acquisition project" going on as of late. :D
Thought that myself. He has some talent. Not used right.
DW Toys

MccClellin underachieved in Chicago, where 3 defensive coaching staffs could not find a role for him to thrive in, and he could not live up to his draft pedigree.

Last season, as MLB, he just seemed slow to react... indecisive... although he called the defensive signals for the front 7.

Hopefully, McClellin is the latest in a line of players the Patriots take who played poorly elsewhere, and improve with a change of scenery.
His D coordinator was saying he was getting it. It was working at MLB. They wanted to keep him.
DW Toys

How do you know that Freeny, Snyder, and Vaughters have no upside? Are you clairvoyant?

I'd throw Bostic in there too.. Maybe a season and a preseason learning the system and being coached by Belichick will make him a serviceable #4 LB...

I'm sure better coaching will mean this won't happen here, but this McClellin play is pretty funny.

Was reading his keys. He was to chip the TE (he got just a paw on him) He had crosses over the middle. Without seeing the total field you can't see who was his guy. His biggest sin was not chipping the TE who made the reception clean. He was playing ILB in a 3/4 in Chicago. If he is a MLB hear, his keys are different and he is not responsible to chip. Still can clean up that mess with Matt Patricia we hope.
DW Toys

When you have 3 different Defensive Coaches in 4 years things get confusing. Look at what happened to the O-line with 2 years of DeGuglielmo.

I honestly expect McClellin to come in and be solid. Not spectacular. Not All-Pro. Just Solid. More than that is icing on the cake.
That is a fair analysis.
DW Toys

The first words that I heard about McClellin came from a man named Tom Shaer of TSM media in Chicago. He said that McClellin can't play. He claims that the Bears tried to find a place for him but couldn't. Here's the interview which is very favorable to Bennett but not McClellin.

Tom Shaer on Martellus Bennett and Shea McClellin 3-17-16
If BB signed him for three years, one would suspect that BB has enough intel.
DW Toys

Was reading his keys. He was to chip the TE (he got just a paw on him) He had crosses over the middle. Without seeing the total field you can't see who was his guy. His biggest sin was not chipping the TE who made the reception clean. He was playing ILB in a 3/4 in Chicago. If he is a MLB hear, his keys are different and he is not responsible to chip. Still can clean up that mess with Matt Patricia we hope.
DW Toys
Since Patrick Graham left who will be the LB coach?

this was a move I was waiting on. he will fit right in to BB schemes. Irish boy from Idaho, go figure. Happy St Patty's everyone.......

Here's Mike Reiss' take. He thinks McClellin could be the next Akeem Ayers for this team.

Shea McClellin's fit with Patriots could have Akeem Ayers-type feel to it

I like Reiss but hes all over the map with his analysis. Is he playing inside? Outside? Down lineman on passing downs? Where is the Ayers comparison in that outlay? Ayers didnt play inside. The correlation isn't 100% by any means.

People might remember in 2005 when Bru was still out BB moved Vrable to the inside. He even tried Chad Brown and Monty Beisel in that ILB/OLB/edge rusher role all with varying results. I think that is more what BB has in mind. Mostly ILB and every now and then OLB w/ 8 in the box.

Why are we so sure McClellin's going to be a linebacker rather than an edge player here? Because it's what he's played most recently? Because we have a bigger need for linebackers? I personally agree with the majority, but it's far from a sure thing before we've seen him line up in a formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back