PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shea McClellin signs with Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Takes two sides to make a deal. Maybe Hightower and Collins want to hit Free Agency
The trick is to make them offers that are really tempting when you weigh in the fact that their careers can end anytime, on the next play. The problem is waiting until the season starts, then it gets harder.

I don't get the excitement regarding getting all these former #1 draft picks….considering only Long proved he was top round worthy. Judge their performance , not their pedigree. Just because Arizona and Indy and Chicago spent #1's doesn't mean they are. I see depth/JAGs based on their production in the NFL and Brown is fodder. What was Indy thinking?
Bennett…..on the other hand…me likey.

I don't get the excitement regarding getting all these former #1 draft picks….considering only Long proved he was top round worthy. Judge their performance , not their pedigree. Just because Arizona and Indy and Chicago spent #1's doesn't mean they are. I see depth/JAGs based on their production in the NFL and Brown is fodder. What was Indy thinking?

I don't think anyone genuinely cares that these guys were former first rounders, except for Cooper because he clearly has untapped potential.

How are any of the draft picks even going to make the team? I suspect Bill is on his way home for a rumble in the sheets, a sammich, and a long nap before trading all over this year and next year's drafts.

When the draft picks can't make the team because of the existing talent, everyone will say the 2016 draft was a bust and BB sucks at drafting.

I think it's just a curiosity/fun-fact. I don't think anybody is genuinely previous conflating draft position with quality. If any fanbase understands this, it would be ours. #TB12, #JE11

Any ideas on money yet?

The Bears ****ed around with McClellin a remarkable amount - different staffs not being sure if he was a DE, OLB, MLB, edge rusher type, whatever, and he was bulking up and slimming down accordingly. Just a mess. That being said, having watched plenty of Bears football, there was really never any indication that he was even a starter-level talent much less top of the first round, he generally looked lost, and was 10x more likely to be completely washed out of a play than he was to be in position to make a tackle. He had an inexplicable 2013 game against GB where he got 3 sacks and broke Aaron Rodgers, but that is his chief professional accomplishment. Most of the Bear fan hatred toward him I'm sure existed because of where he was drafted...if he'd been even a 2nd rounder there'd be considerably less beef.

If anyone can wring anything out of the kid I would think it would be here with BB/MP as he does fit the mold of what they like at LB more than any of the schemes the Bears were running. That being said, sometimes a guy doesn't fit at a certain position because he's versatile and talented and you need to find the role or scheme for him...and sometimes a guy doesn't fit at all the positions you tried him at because he sucks.

Bostic was a 2nd round linebacker from The Bears who never emerged. Doubt McClellin is any different. Same Bears coaches, same situation - 1st round JAG.

Brown, Cooper, and McClellin are just really athletic 1st round JAGs. Nothing more. Nothing to see here.

Marcellus and Chris Long both had great years at some point so I am sure they can contribute, but it doubtful they will be great again. ;-).

When you have 3 different Defensive Coaches in 4 years things get confusing. Look at what happened to the O-line with 2 years of DeGuglielmo.

I honestly expect McClellin to come in and be solid. Not spectacular. Not All-Pro. Just Solid. More than that is icing on the cake.

I think it's just a curiosity/fun-fact. I don't think anybody is genuinely previous conflating draft position with quality. If any fanbase understands this, it would be ours. #TB12, #JE11
You have to look at them individually.
Brown, like many RBs has proven he was severely overrated.
McClellin was drafted on potential with position uncertainty, and seems to have developed slowly but played very well last year. His versatility in BBs D seems to suggest he will only be better here.
Cooper is intriguing. His talent is off the charts. He was the highest drafted G in like 25 years, and if the Cards didn't take him at 7 he was going soon after. Has had bad injury luck, but the upside here is enormous.
Long is a fine player who may be on the downside of his career, but again, could benefit from our system and being part of a 3man rotation.

Yea I think it's more about their talent level and what they've done so far in their careers than BB collecting draft trophies

Yeah, exactly. I think there's a small element to consider that maybe a guy has a strong athletic pedigree, but it's essentially just a trivia question kind of thing.

I'm ok with this.

The Pats have no depth at LB. It's practice squad guys and special teams only guys. Not even guys with upside. Just bad NFL LB's.

Three years is interesting given his production. Usually we would give a guy like that a 1 year prove it deal. We must really see something in him.

Three years is interesting given his production. Usually we would give a guy like that a 1 year prove it deal. We must really see something in him.
And/or he was willing to agree to something relatively cheap because he liked the team and the opportunity/role they proposed to him. I suppose they may not have been the only bidder either, he's young yet. But yeah, agreed I was surprised it was 3 years.

It's pretty crazy to me, what exactly has this guy done to prove he deserves a 3 year commitment? It better be a dirt cheap deal or this is a bad signing.

the problem with that is if they do "prove it" you can't afford to resign them. He is young enough to give a three year contract to. Of course none of it is guaranteed so it really doesn't matter.

The Pats quickly extended Lewis last year when it became apparent that he was the real deal.

I don't get the excitement regarding getting all these former #1 draft picks….considering only Long proved he was top round worthy. Judge their performance , not their pedigree.

There's something alluring about a castoff with elite athletic potential. Yep, there's plenty of reason to be skeptical -- chances are he was cut loose for a reason. But IF the Pats can turn a player like that around, the sky's the limit. After seeing what they were able to do with Hicks and Ayers as mid-season pickups, it's natural to dream a bit about Cooper and McClellin.

Anybody know the terms of the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference