PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Serious offers for Cassel yet? [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I imagine with the Raiders, Chiefs, Titans, and maybe a few other teams having serious issues at QB, it's only a matter of time before the Pats start getting interest for Matt Cassell.

Thoughts? Would BB ever consider trading him? If so, what would he be worth?

I'd hate to see him go since he has developed so well in our system, but I'd be stunned if other teams aren't looking at him. He's this year's Matt Shwaub (ATL) in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Serious offers for Cassell yet?

Sporin said:
I imagine with the Raiders, Chiefs, Titans, and maybe a few other teams having serious issues at QB, it's only a matter of time before the Pats start getting interest for Matt Cassell.

Thoughts? Would BB ever consider trading him? If so, what would he be worth?

I'd hate to see him go since he has developed so well in our system, but I'd be stunned if other teams aren't looking at him. He's this year's Matt Shwaub (ATL) in my opinion.

None that I've head of - I don't think Cassell's considered at the level of Shwaub yet in terms of game experience and there are veteran QBs to be had for "free" still

If a team has an interest in Cassell its still likely as a backup given his potential - and I don't see a team trading pick for a backup

Since he is the only other QB on our roster this season he is far too valuable as a backup. Besides we have a lot of draft picks in 2007. He's signed through 2008. The key with these guys is flipping them as their value peaks and before it diminishes. Two years ago Billy Volek was all the rage. This year Tennessee managed to devalue him all the way to a 6th. I imagine Matt may be on the available for a price list next summer as camp approaches, but I doubt if he is available at any price this season and more likely they would plan to move him before the 2008 draft.

We have two #1s and comp picks for 2007, I think we'll keep him around next year. But in March, 2008 he's entering the final year of his contract. If we haven't added bonus picks for the 2008 draft, trading Cassel then would be a good time to do it.

But I heard we had two backups in for a looksie today (Maddox and Bouman)...so maybe this is more than rumor. Could we be looking to trade him?

I would be pleasantly surpised if we did, for a fairly high pick (#3 or 3 and 4 perhaps???) and at the same time acquire Maddox.

I doubt the Pats trade him this year because he has looked good, we don't have another QB on the roster, and they are still developing him. That being said, I don't agree with people who say we are going to have a Joe Montana, Steve Young situation here with out two guys. I believe Cassel is/going to be a great QB, which is exactly why I don't think that situation will happen. He was drafted in Tom's fifth year, so if nothing unexpected happens to Tom Cassel would have to wait about 8 or 9 more years to be the starter. I just don't see that happening with free agency the way it is today. He is going to go somewhere where he can be the starter sooner than that. Part of what made the Montana/Young thing so amazing was how long Steve waited behind Joe. I don't know the exact numbers but I don't think it was as long as it looks like Cassel will have to, and even if it was, I doubt it will ever happen again. Plus now teams realize they need to get as much value out of their players as they can because of free agency, so I wouldn't be suprised if Cassel was traded int he future. And if he continues down the road he is on I will be shocked if he resigns here when his contract is up to remain the 2nd QB.

He's totally unproven and has almost no experience, even in college.

No team is going to trade for him.

"But he looked OK in a few preseason games". Yeah, OK.

All_Around_Brown said:
But I heard we had two backups in for a looksie today (Maddox and Bouman)...so maybe this is more than rumor. Could we be looking to trade him?

I would be pleasantly surpised if we did, for a fairly high pick (#3 or 3 and 4 perhaps???) and at the same time acquire Maddox.

Right now I'd be disappointed at less than a #2, and I'm not sure I'd take a #2. All things being equal his is worth at least a #2, but not when he is our only backup.

QBs currently on the roster: 2.
If I were Belichick, the lowest round pick I'd take for Cassel right now: 2.

Honestly, the way he's progressing, I could honestly see a team being desperate enough to give up at least a 2nd for him down the road, so why give him up now when he's more valuable to the Pats?

Last edited:

mcbee said:

Not to be facetious--but can you honestly say that every team has at least one QB clearly better than Cassel? I can think of at least one that doesn't.

No no no no no no no. The Pats invested a draft pick and a roster slot last year to develop Cassell into a cheap back-up. He is currently serving a valuable role as a cheap back-up. The Pats don't have any interest in replacing him with a more expensive quarterback who has proven to be a failure as a starter.

Besides, you're heavily overvaluing him. It isn't hard to find a young unproven quarterback with no NFL experience (though his lack of college experience does make him a rarity on an NFL roster).

They might trade him entering his final year if they have a replacement and Cassell has established some value for himself.

And don't read too much into auditioning other QBs. The Pats only have two QBs on their roster; if there's a single game where Brady can't play they'll need to sign another QB. I doubt that a team which taught Troy Brown to play corner just in case 6 guys got hurt wouldn't have a contingency in the event the QB was injured.

*edit* in response to the sentiments of "I wouldn't take anything less than a #2 for him," I'd trade him for a 3rd round pick in a heartbeat. I don't think he's THAT valuable. The Pats might get a 6 for him now (probably a 7), and for that he's not worth trading.

Last edited:

TomBrady'sGoat said:
No no no no no no no. The Pats invested a draft pick and a roster slot last year to develop Cassell into a cheap back-up. He is currently serving a valuable role as a cheap back-up. The Pats don't have any interest in replacing him with a more expensive quarterback who has proven to be a failure as a starter.

Besides, you're heavily overvaluing him. It isn't hard to find a young unproven quarterback with no NFL experience (though his lack of college experience does make him a rarity on an NFL roster).

They might trade him entering his final year if they have a replacement and Cassell has established some value for himself.

And don't read too much into auditioning other QBs. The Pats only have two QBs on their roster; if there's a single game where Brady can't play they'll need to sign another QB. I doubt that a team which taught Troy Brown to play corner just in case 6 guys got hurt wouldn't have a contingency in the event the QB was injured.

*edit* in response to the sentiments of "I wouldn't take anything less than a #2 for him," I'd trade him for a 3rd round pick in a heartbeat. I don't think he's THAT valuable. The Pats might get a 6 for him now (probably a 7), and for that he's not worth trading.

I have a hard time putting a value on him for these reasons. Some say a #2. I was thinking I was pushing it at #3. You are probably right.

It all depends on the desperation as you say. But since there are reasonably adequate FAs out there, I agree that we're expecting too much. I was basing a third on the image that he's been coached very well and has shown similar progress on par with TBs jump from year one-two.

One would think that has some GMs overvaluing him out there. All that said, I prefer to keep him.

mcbee said:

"But he looked OK in a few preseason games". Yeah, OK.
At the risk of being slammed with "Rohan Davey", Cassel has looked a lot better than Davey ever did. Forget his NFLE numbers, Davey always looked shakey over there too me although I was certainly hoping for the best.

I'm not saying a team would trade a top 5 pick for him but compared to second and third round QBs, if I were another team I'd much prefer to have Cassel than some draft pick like a Charlie Frye or whatever. Cassel has better physical skills than anything you'll get out of round one and will have had X years of NFL coaching and the appropriate maturity that comes with age that a 23 year old won't have.

His biggest sin is being stuck behind Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and now Tom Brady.

All_Around_Brown said:
I have a hard time putting a value on him for these reasons. Some say a #2. I was thinking I was pushing it at #3. You are probably right.

It all depends on the desperation as you say. But since there are reasonably adequate FAs out there, I agree that we're expecting too much. I was basing a third on the image that he's been coached very well and has shown similar progress on par with TBs jump from year one-two.

One would think that has some GMs overvaluing him out there. All that said, I prefer to keep him.

If Rohan Davey was worth a #1, then we should easily get 2 #1's for Matt Cassell.

Does the backup on this team really matter all that much? If Tom Brady gets injured, the team would not be anywhere near Super Bowl worthy, let alone playoff worthy. It would be a .500 team at best, even in our division. In the scenario in which Tom Brady does get injured [the thought truly pains me] - the team would basically be treading water until Tom gets back. They can probably do that just as unsuccessfully with Cassell as with anyone. I'm having trouble explaining my thoughts here, but let's look at it this way. If Tom Brady is an A starter and Cassell is a B level starter, and most backups are a C, if Brady goes down, the team will not be good enough that a B (Cassell) puts them at the level to truly compete, thus they might as well just tread water as best they can with a C. There isn't much value in having a slightly better backup than most teams, which is what we assume Cassell is. Having that slightly better backup does us no good in the scenario in which our team loses the best QB in the league. Did any of this make any sense?

The bottom line for me is...if you actually could get good value in trading Cassell, then take it, as he has more values on other teams as he does here. That said, I doubt that will come to pass.

Last edited:

BelichickFan said:
Cassel has better physical skills than anything you'll get out of round one and will have had X years of NFL coaching and the appropriate maturity that comes with age that a 23 year old won't have.

Well said...

Yoo-hoo, you team looking for a young QB! Take your pick: any raw kid available after round 1 of the draft, or a 6'4" athletic, strong-armed prospect who has been shadowing Tom Brady's every move for the past 2 years after 4 years practicing in USC's pro-style offense.

Sure, he's unproven. But surely less so than, say, Tarvaris Jackson of mighty Alabama State...who was taken in round 2 of this year's draft.

All of which leads me to conclude: the Pats aren't going to trade him any time soon. He's valuable to this team for all the same reasons. Why let him go?

First off, Cassell is the only other guy who could possible run the Patriots offense this year, so no matter what is offered, the Patriots can not trade him this year. Unless anyone wants to bring in Rohan to be the Pats QB? ANyone....

Secondly, no one is oign to give you a #2 pick for Cassell. He is unproven, I believe that he could be an outstanding QB in this league, and you have to remember that it was Pete Carroll's decision to pick Lienart over Cassell, and I think we can all painfully remember his personal decisions (I can only hope, that he consulted Bobby Grier too). Certainly if Lienart had entered the draft, a year before he did, I'm not sure, but I think that Cassell would have had another year of eligibilty left and he would have led that USC team to the title game too, and would have been a first round pick.

If someone comes in the off-season and offers a third rounder for Cassell, I think the Pats have to listen, however, this team has/had a large number of back-up players like Jarvis Green, Ashworth, Hockstien, et al that would garner a even higher draft pick than Cassell, and no one is talking about trading them. Depth is the reason that the Pats survivied last year, and I can't see them trading away any of their depth, especially very good, young and cheap depth, like they have in Cassell.

I look for the Pats to draft some sort of slash QB/WR to work in as the third QB next year, again for more depth.

I fully concur with last two posters.

Matt Cassell's highest value is to the New England Patriots. He's not going anywhere.

BradyManny2344 said:
Does the backup on this team really matter all that much? If Tom Brady gets injured, the team would not be anywhere near Super Bowl worthy, let alone playoff worthy. It would be a .500 team at best, even in our division. In the scenario in which Tom Brady does get injured [the thought truly pains me] - the team would basically be treading water until Tom gets back. They can probably do that just as unsuccessfully with Cassell as with anyone. I'm having trouble explaining my thoughts here, but let's look at it this way. If Tom Brady is an A starter and Cassell is a B level starter, and most backups are a C, if Brady goes down, the team will not be good enough that a B (Cassell) puts them at the level to truly compete, thus they might as well just tread water as best they can with a C. There isn't much value in having a slightly better backup than most teams, which is what we assume Cassell is. Having that slightly better backup does us no good in the scenario in which our team loses the best QB in the league. Did any of this make any sense?

Frankly, it doesn't make sense to me. First off, I seriously question your claim that the rest of the team is average at best. But let's assume for the moment that it's true. Suppose next week Brady sprains an ankle and is out for 6 games. Let's say the team would go win 4 of those games with an above-average backup vs. 2 with a below-average backup. Those extra wins would likely be the difference in winning the division, or securing a bye or even in making the playoffs at all. That's huge.

patchick said:
Frankly, it doesn't make sense to me. First off, I seriously question your claim that the rest of the team is average at best. But let's assume for the moment that it's true. Suppose next week Brady sprains an ankle and is out for 6 games. Let's say the team would go win 4 of those games with an above-average backup vs. 2 with a below-average backup. Those extra wins would likely be the difference in winning the division, or securing a bye or even in making the playoffs at all. That's huge.

Your absolutely right, whenever we think about a Brady injury, most people assume that it would be a season ending injury. What if he strains an ankle? Certainly I wouldn't expect a Brady-less Pats team to beat Cincy or the Colts, and if they play like they did MOnday, the Jags, But I would think that a Cassell led Patriots team, should win any other game(s) left on the Schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft